PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Keeping lettuce fresh

Options

Comments

• webitha
    webitha Posts: 4,799 Forumite
    Options
    this may sound strange but believe it works
    put your lettuce in a food bag with a piece of sponge any sponge will do and this keeps mine fresh for ages
    If we can put a man on the moon...how come we cant put them all there?

• Noctu
    Noctu Posts: 1,553 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I tend to buy the bags of mixed leaf salads - I use some of it then just leave the rest in the bag. Would it be better to put it into a lock and lock?
  • amyandoli
    amyandoli Posts: 470 Forumite
    Options
    lettuce is very easy to grow, and there are cut and come again varieties where you just pick of what you need, and it grows back. lasts months this way! we have rabbits/guinea pigs so they dont eat iceberg, but our round and cos lettuces last about a week in the shed, stored in a paper bag hung up on inside shed wall. ripping lettuce rather than cutting makes them last longer, and a cheaper version of a lettuce knife is a plastic picnic knife.

amy
  • moanymoany
    moanymoany Posts: 2,877 Forumite
    Options
    I have discovered that any green leafy stuff, lettuce, spinach, rocket etc keeps very well in a plastic carrier. I wash them and dry them in a salad spinner (brand new for £1 from charity shop), put them in the carrier and tie the top. In the bottom of the fridge it keeps very well.

I got the idea from the bags of mixed salad - if it works for them!:rotfl:
  • Anne_Marie_2
    Anne_Marie_2 Posts: 2,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Noctu wrote: »
    I tend to buy the bags of mixed leaf salads - I use some of it then just leave the rest in the bag. Would it be better to put it into a lock and lock?

:eek: Have you seen the amount of chemicals in these bags of lettuce leaves! I like mixed lettuce myself, but tend to grow couple of different lettuce, rocket, spinach in tubs and pick as I need during the summer months. You could get away with a window box if you don't have much room.
  • reverie
    reverie Posts: 427 Forumite
    Options
    I use iceberg sometimes and I put a few sheets of kitchen roll against the side I have cut with the knife, put it in a plastic bag and store in the fridge. I find that works really well at keeping it fresh. I do cut a v thin slice off of the sliced edge if it has gone a little bit brown.
  • sarerb18
    sarerb18 Posts: 1,979 Forumite
    Options
    Hi. you could try sprouting seeds. alfalfa, broccoli, mung beans are just some that I use.

use and old plastic tub and place damp kitchen roll on the bottom, scatter some seeds on them and just spray with water or sprinkle with fingers each day. Doesn't take long.

Fresh salad every time and no chemicals.

Sarer. :) :cool:

http://www.raceforlifesponsorme.org/sarerdavis
  • organic_wanabe
    Options
    sarerb18 - I'm going to try sprouting using your method. Where to you keep your plastic tub (? in the dark) and do you need to put the lid on the tub? Also, what are broccoli seeds and where do you get them? Which are your favourite and most successful for sprouting. I know - questions, questions questions but I buy bags from the supermarket and they are the only thing I end up throwing out as I haven't found a way to keep them fresh before they begin to look rancid.

(Sorry for being off topic.)
  • Jayar
    Jayar Posts: 735 Forumite
    Options
    My solution to this is not to buy lettuce, but to get chinese cabbage instead. We bought a big one about 3 weeks ago which was already at its sell by date and therefore cheap. I keep it in the fridge in the plastic bag I bought it in and have since used it in stir frys, coleslaw and mixed salads and still there is a tiny bit left that I'll have to use today because I must admit it is starting to go a tiny bit brown round the edges.
    IMO it is much nicer than lettuce, the crunchy white middle bit is fantastic; really good in coleslaw or just to munch.
    A friend is someone who overlooks your broken fence and admires the flowers in your garden.
  • ellie14
    ellie14 Posts: 1,342 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The freshest crunchiest lettuce I ever had was sent along by a nieghbour about to go on holiday and she had been storing it in tin foil ,wrapping it up in it and thats what I do now, and get more days to the lettuce,
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure