PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

5 OS Pleasures in your Day Today part 2

Options

Comments

• sparrer
    sparrer Posts: 7,547 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hugs to everyone :) Just a brief one, so tired today.

1. Kitchen got a thorough clean after yesterday, it was a tad messy!
    2. Changed bedding. Tried to turn the mattress over but couldn't as it's so heavy (got almost stuck underneath it at one stage :D) but did manage to just turn it through 180 degrees.
    3. Postie brought me a pringles speaker which I'll give to one of the DGC
    4. Had another very kind invitation to spend Christmas Day with friends, that's the third one, but will enjoy spending it with the family
    5. Just got the lottery tickets to buy to go inside the cards and I'm done. Can't get them until just before Christmas of course but nothing else to buy/wrap now :)

Sleep tight :)
  • Broomstick
    Broomstick Posts: 1,648 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Five pleasures for Thursday:

1. Waking to a garden that looks even more frosted than before. Beautiful.

2, Spending some of the afternoon in Middle Earth. :D Enjoyed very much the bits I knew I'd enjoy, especially the scenery (and being with my DSs). Wasn't too keen on the fighty bits but hard to avoid in a film like this. Won't say more because of others who are going to the film but it was definitely a pleasure!

3. Have discovered that there's a midnight mass on Christmas eve in a church that's within walking distance from our house. It's ages since I've been to midnight mass.

4. Collecting DS1's new (old) car. He's sooo happy. He drove it home from the garage alone (first time he's driven alone in a car - I still remember when I did that for the first time) and I followed him back to our house. Then we did a bit of pottering about town, filling it up with petrol, getting some shopping etc in it with me as passenger and him gtting used to it.

5. I'd been searching for several years for someone who was a massive support to me when I was doing sport as a teenager - amongst other things, he'd been my first coach. I'd been wanting to say a huge thank you to him for what he gave me forty years after the event. Last night, at long last, I found a lead. There was a note on a donations website online given in his name by someone who looked as if she might be his daughter (different surname). A bit more detective work and I got a phone number so I rang her house this morning and she called back this evening. We had a wonderful talk. The person I had been looking for was her dad and he died over a year ago but she filled in lots of gaps and I told her all about what he'd done for me. Although I wish I'd been able to thank him, talking to his daughter was just lovely. She was about my age, very down to earth and not at all phased by a call out the blue from a 'stranger'. I'm glad I dared to do it. :)

Sweet dreams

B x
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    edited 14 December 2012 at 12:57AM
    Options
    Been sorta busy - so just had a quick catch up - so many pleasures to enjoy from you all. Thank you and thanks for liking my horsey rambles. More rambles.

1. A Christmas card from Rummy's now former owners with a pic of a very muddy Rummy after his third at Hexham earlier this year. :D

2. Meanwhile, Rummy's nephew Podge, at five months old, jumps a four foot fence to get out of his paddock and in for his tea. This was off deep mud, not springy grass, and with a rug on. :eek:
    His owners saw it and nearly had heart failure. I really hope he doesn't make a habit of it.
    Not a pleasure in some ways, but in others, my goodness....
    I so hope he isn't a jumper though... I want to go to York for the summer Ebor meeting... not Newcastle for the Fighting Fifth meeting in late November. Even if Redcar and Hexham are more likely.

3. Caught up with my friend. She has had a bit of a wobbly time. We arranged our Christmas plans, she gave me my gift and some ideas for hers.

4. Lovely, lovely night at the live music club - I uploaded several videos to our FB group - each took hours but I hope they bring pleasure.

5. Freebies in the post. Stock pots and an excellent knife sharpener as a reward from a survey site.

6. Son has de-cluttered a bike and an amp from the shed, and earned himself over £300 by selling them on Gumtree. Both were really good bargains for the people who got them too, so all parties happy. He's also sold a surplus effects pedal and a video games system.
    I'm so pleased as he'd really got himself into a financial pickle with bills arriving all at once .
    I am always happy to help him when I can, but I'm pleased he's woken up and realised that having cash for what you want and need is better than having things you never use.

Time to post before this is lost!

Quick edit. How wonderful Broomstick, what a great post. Memories shared of those now gone are so precious. I bet his daughter was so pleased to know - and perhaps not surprised too.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • missmoneysave
    Options
    Broomstick What a lovely story about your coach. I'll bet his daughter was over the moon that you called.

My five for yesterday;
    1. A lovely frosty walk with the dog.

2. Had enough courage to pop to the shop without make up on :eek: very good sign that a little confidence is coming back.

3. Lazy afternoon writing reviews and catching up on t.v.

4. Made Moroccan lentil chicken and hated it, OH happily ate it but it just wasn't my kind of taste. The pleasure came from the laughter from OH, he thought the faces I was pulling as I tried to eat it were hilarious. I'm glad I could make him laugh, he's been having a terrible time at work.

5. Bought a reduced orange to use in chocolate orange cupcakes to take to OH parents at the weekend for his dads birthday.
    Comper, Blogger & OS-er
    Competition prizes: £6/£2015
  • mhagster
    mhagster Posts: 5,210 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hello......I'm on hold at our local theatre back home ...trying to book panto tickets , so I may as well type here as I wait!!

Has rained all day but is still very humid.....good for the gardens if not for my sanity!

Work was work but over for the weekend! That is a pleasure!!

A big cockatoo flew right past me this morning with the loudest squawk I have ever heard.

Dropped DD2 at a party and did shopping as supermarket just round the corner. Didn't need much as we come home in one little week and we have a few things on over next few days.

Just got my tickets booked.....oh yes I did! Nice to hear a local accent :)

Pottering about and tidying up as I go. I have so much to do and need to write a list so I can tick off what I do.

Getting a nice card from aunt and uncle in America with news of their family. It seems people have been sending cards to my mums as we are going home but it is nice to have them here too!!

Nice easy tea of nachos with mushrooms, bacon and red onion and lots of cheese. pât! on crusty bread. Then , I found the mint chocs that I nabbed of the table at the do the other night!! Very tasty:)

Looking forward to having a reasonably early night....busy weekend ahead.

Have a lovely day.....7 sleeps to go :)
  • Frith
    Frith Posts: 8,156 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Pleasures for today (Friday) so far.

Following on from smaller son's statement on Monday....

1) Smaller son's EXCLUSION OVERTURNED!

2) Nasty appeal meeting at old school on Monday has been cancelled.

3) Smaller son will not have to leave his new school and be forced back into old school (which was threatened).

4) Smaller son will not lose his funded transport to new school (which was threatened) and old school will be paying for it (!)

5) Phoned schools and will be looking round one on Monday.

6) Tidied up and cleaned all floors.

7) Lit fire very early and it is nice and warm.

8) Tasty tea of baked potatoes and sweet potatoes.
  • CCP
    CCP Posts: 5,061 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Evening all.

Frith - that's fantastic news - about time, too!

mhagster - I hope the weather cheers up a bit before you come back to the UK - I don't know what it's like it Scotland but it's foul on the south coast at the moment. :( I have no doubt you'll have a great time whatever the weather, though. :)

1) Gave myself and a colleague a ride to a meeting over the other side of the city centre - a real pleasure as we got soaked to the skin just dashing to the car, so I hate to think what sort of state we would have been in if we'd walked the whole way! :eek:

2) Treated myself to a box of mince pies as they were on special offer. :drool:

3) Getting home and taking off my still-wet shoes after having them on pretty much all day.

4) Made a start on my essay, although I think it will need a fair amount of rewriting as the words weren't exactly flowing tonight. :o

5) Now going to curl up with a Chinese fakeaway (part HM, part LO from a supermarket offer a couple of weeks ago), a glass of something naughty and a good book, listening to the rain / hail / gales battering the windows. :)

Have a good evening, all.
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Options
    Evening all

Frith - fab news :T

1. dropped DS off at college in torrential lashing rain and howling gale this morning, then quick dash round the back routes and managed to miss most of the traffic on way to work

2. chocolates at work for collegues 50th

3. bad weather must have kept everyone home.... phones were manic. Glad the day is over and no more work until tuesday... only 3 more working days till xmas hols

4. got home and felt really wired, had a mad half hour or so cleaning, hoovering, washing up and general tidying. House looks tidier now. HM chicken and peppers in black bean sauce for tea, and some saved for DS to warm up when he gets in from police volunteering around midnight

5. when I got DVD in asda yesterday for DN I picked up a few other bits of shopping £22.92 spend, and have just checked receipt and sainsbobs were cheaper so I now have voucher to use £3.42 :D
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • Kittikins
    Kittikins Posts: 5,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Brilliant news Frith :)

1. Last day of 'work' til 7th Jan :)

2. Lovely chats to DD, although I don't know when she's coming back, still very coughy and spluttery...but let's hope its tomorrow!

3. The kitchen is coming along.......oh so slowly.....but apparently will be finished by Monday night (so long as my electrician can come and do his bit, or else I will have a purely decorative hob and oven!!)

4. I was ravenous at lunchtime and a new colleague bought me lunch as I don't have a fingerprint account for the school canteen yet.

5. Have signed up for a free lunch at school on my first day as a group of us are going in for a course :)

6. Have brought the microwave in to the kitchen and made some dinner!! Was tempted to have a takeaway but instead am having....

7. A NSD, woohoo!!

8. Some clothes I ordered online have arrived and the most expensive things will be going back (phew!) but the lovely, gorgeous black dress will be staying (yay) and a couple of other bits that will be good for the office....*whistles innocently*

9. I found my new medicine which I'd misplaced for a couple of days, and boy did I know about it!! Good to be coughing and spluttering a lot less already after today's dose :)

10. One of my new bosses talked to me about my working hours and they're going to be even better than I was hoping for - I'll definitely be able to get back to DD's school in time to pick her up every day, yippee :):)
  • Purple_kitten
    Options
    Made it phew it seems like it was a long time coming.

1.A bit late finishing as cramming 3 weeks worth of reporting all done finished till the 7ths:j

2.I have come home paid bills, a pleasure from the point of view we are able to and I remembered to do it!;)
    3.Had quite a healthy dinner, we needed it it’s been a bad week eating very very late.:cool:
    4.It’s completely in the mind I know but putting all the work clothes in the washing and emptying out the laptop bag tidying and putting it away ready for the new year.:D
    5. Mince pie anyone...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport