PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Bookworm's Thread 2016

Options

Comments

• S_Wales_Saver
    Options
    The last series I read finished most satisfactorily, albeit somewhat after the end of the French Revolution. This gave the author, Joanna Bourne the opportunity to show the development of her group of characters, and at times, look at timelines and incidents from more than one point of view. All in all a good read.

Followed this up with two new Regency books, Indiscreet by Mary Balogh, and The lady's command by Stephanie Laurens. Both recommended if you like light historical fiction which was what I expected as they are two of my regular favourites.

At the moment I'm reading the third of the Crescent city trilogy by Kristen Painter. I've been reading the books in order, interspersed with a longer (and quite different) series called Thunder Road by Robyn Carr.

Crescent city refers to New Orleans, but a New Orleans which is a haven for the fae, who coexist with humans, vampires, voodoo practitioners and witches. Not brilliant but readable.

Thunder Road is a small town in Oregon, and details the lives of the residents. Nothing other than people in this series, with all the good and the bad. The series theme is set around the death and (possible) murder of one of the residents, though be warned its more of a series of low key romances than a crime novel. This I'm enjoying more than I expected, and is a good example of the advantage of library lending schemes. My own authority has only the third book in the series, but I have already sourced the first two from the Swansea/Neath area and have the library staff ordering four and five.

My list of books to read is not getting any shorter :rotfl::rotfl::T
    Dor
  • camelot1001
    camelot1001 Posts: 6,007 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    pollypenny wrote: »
    Beautifully written, too, eh? The cat becomes a good character.

Loved the cat! Such a good read, it may have spoiled the next couple of books I read I enjoyed it so much.

I read Behind Closed Doors, it was ok but nothing gripping.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Am at present readin As I lay Dying by William Falkner as my DGs is reading it at Uni and we exchange views on american lit. Can't say I'm much taken with it as the dialogue is hard goingg and too many characters, prefer Steinbeck to be honest.
    Book club book this month is Labyrinth my Kate Mosse
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 12 April 2016 at 5:28PM
    Options
    JackieO wrote: »
    Am at present readin As I lay Dying by William Falkner as my DGs is reading it at Uni and we exchange views on american lit. Can't say I'm much taken with it as the dialogue is hard goingg and too many characters, prefer Steinbeck to be honest.
    Book club book this month is Labyrinth my Kate Mosse

A good part of my degree is in American Literature and I'm afraid I just couldn't get into Faulkner, at the time or since.:o

I wasn't all that keen on Steinbeck either but I absolutely love F Scott Fitzgerald and William Styron. "Tender is the Night" is my favourite Fitgerald and I love Styron's "Sophie's Choice" and "The Confessions of Nat Turner" equally.
  • MitziB
    MitziB Posts: 56 Forumite
    Options
    THIRZAH wrote: »
    She writes crime novels set in Venice. The hero/detective is called Brunetti.

Thanks very much for the recommendation of Donna Leon, THIRZAH, and pollypenny who likes them too.

Serendipity rules:j. I took a box of odds and ends to the charity shop yesterday and spotted a 'bargain bin' of books at 50p each just inside the door. There near the top was Acqua Alta by Donna Leon:T. It's a hardback in nice clean and tight condition. Just a few scuffs to the otherwise excellent DJ. Needless to say I snapped it up;).

Am a bit busy this week but will definitely be starting it at the weekend. Really looking forward to it:)
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    477816.jpg
    I finished this - a relatively quick read but was tempted to leave it 1/3 of the way through because of the author's life choice at that point in the book. Glad I stuck with it as she is to be admired, having done a great deal of good in her life, despite the obstacles hurled at her. 7/10.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Hobsons_Choice
    Hobsons_Choice Posts: 1,123 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Don't forget to look in the Land of Pound. I got a lovely book from there today that will be my holiday reading (The Burning Girl by Erin Kelly - guess how much it cost :D) Can't buy them in a Charity Shop for that price and I don't like taking library books on my hols.
    Halfway through "Memory Man" by David Baldacci, excellent.
    Normal people worry me.
  • lynnejk
    lynnejk Posts: 5,732 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hiya

Just finished an amazing book

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

A very interesting insight into another world !
    Lx
    £10day.2014=3213/2015=3421/2016=3238/2017=2702/2018=498..APR=12.03/300
    GrocC.2014=2162/2015=2083/2016=218/2017=1996/2018=450..APR=17.13/200
    Bulk buy.......APR=233.76
    GC.NSD..2015=216/2016=213/2017=229/2018=39..APR=03/15
    SPC130:staradminx61..2014=1178/2015=1287/2016=4616/2017=3843
    OS WL= -2/8 ......CC =00......Savings = £13,140
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    lynnejk wrote: »
    Hiya

Just finished an amazing book

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

A very interesting insight into another world !
    Lx
    I preferred this to The Kiterunner. Mariam didn't stand a chance in life, bless her. Is this really why people bring children into the world?

Although I can't see that some girls living here have it any better. I've been reunited with Shamed and am so saddened by how some people thrive on controlling others.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • camelot1001
    camelot1001 Posts: 6,007 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    I preferred this to The Kiterunner. Mariam didn't stand a chance in life, bless her. Is this really why people bring children into the world?

Fantastic book, one of my favourites. Scary thought that this probably still goes on.

Just finished 'While My Eyes Were Closed' by Linda Green which I really enjoyed, had to read it quickly to see if the little girl was safe!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure