Being harassed by my ex!

Options

Comments

• Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    So you've glassed him, and now you're thinking of knifing him??

Get your home secure, so that no-one can break in. Get an attack alarm. Get a dog (as someone said). Don't go making things even worse for yourself. A knife is an offensive weapon and you're on a suspended sentence.

The Op seems to think that being on a suspended sentence is getting off lightly
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Don't carry a knife - it could easily be used against you. You need to escape not fight.
    Can't someone stay with you so you don't feel so on edge? Do you have strong security lights? Also be careful what you put on social media. It can be easy to find out a lot from there . if I were in this situation I would move well away, probably change my name and job and car etc and star afresh. You can't live in fear forever.
  • baby_lemonade
    Options
    Guest101 wrote: »
    The Op seems to think that being on a suspended sentence is getting off lightly

The thing is, if she purely wanted advice on securing her home and installing cctv cameras there are other boards where people might have better knowledge of how to do that.

Instead she has posted on the Marriages board again about an incident that caused a lot of arguments and fighting the last time she posted, just before she was due to find out whether or not she was going to be sent to jail.

The attack on the ex was particularly nasty which is why I remember it, and the username. Not excusing his revenge tactics (if indeed it is him). I wonder if Womens Aid might be better placed to help her either move house or hide from this guy.

But starting up another controversial thread on here is not going to end well.
  • Guest101
    Options
    The thing is, if she purely wanted advice on securing her home and installing cctv cameras there are other boards where people might have better knowledge of how to do that.

Instead she has posted on the Marriages board again about an incident that caused a lot of arguments and fighting the last time she posted, just before she was due to find out whether or not she was going to be sent to jail.

The attack on the ex was particularly nasty which is why I remember it, and the username. Not excusing his revenge tactics (if indeed it is him). I wonder if Womens Aid might be better placed to help her either move house or hide from this guy.

But starting up another controversial thread on here is not going to end well.

I agree, the two could've been kept totally separate.

I vaguely remember the thread, from what you've described he could've died!
  • neneromanova
    neneromanova Posts: 3,051 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Never keep a knife under the pillow to use as a weapon. You will be prosecuted very harshly as it's like pre-meditated. Keep a golf club or sporting equipment around the room to use. That was it's not pre-meditated ;)
    What's yours is mine and what's mine is mine..
  • Guest101
    Options
    Never keep a knife under the pillow to use as a weapon. You will be prosecuted very harshly as it's like pre-meditated. Keep a golf club or sporting equipment around the room to use. That was it's not pre-meditated ;)

It cant be pre-mediated in that sense. As you cant pre-meditate someone else breaking in.

However you can only use reasonable and appropriate force in self defence. If the intruder is unarmed then stabbing them would not be a reasonable solution.
  • LKRDN_Morgan
    Options
    Don't carry a knife - it could easily be used against you. You need to escape not fight.
    Can't someone stay with you so you don't feel so on edge? Do you have strong security lights? Also be careful what you put on social media. It can be easy to find out a lot from there . if I were in this situation I would move well away, probably change my name and job and car etc and star afresh. You can't live in fear forever.

Ever been so terrified you're paralysed with fear? I imagine that's why the knife is under the bed.

OP I don't know your back story nor will I judge your suspended sentence. CCTV I will say cheap isn't going to cut it. Have you been in contact with any security companies? My neighbours been the victim of burglary 3 times unfortunately and they've massively invested in a security. Obviously I don't know the exact figure but it was in the thousands. They can sleep at night though which I imagine you can't put a price on
  • AylesburyDuck
    Options
    Agreed, it's there for a purpose, and a sole purpose only, racking my brains and cant think of a single excuse that would cut it, pun intended.
    I cut my hair in bed? Nope
    I was picking my toe nails with it? Nope
    Nail trim?

:rotfl::rotfl:
    Fully paid up member of the ignore button club.
    If it walks like a Duck, quacks like a Duck, it's a Duck.
  • LKRDN_Morgan
    Options
    Guest101 wrote: »
    It cant be pre-mediated in that sense. As you cant pre-meditate someone else breaking in.

However you can only use reasonable and appropriate force in self defence. If the intruder is unarmed then stabbing them would not be a reasonable solution.

What are you going to do pat them down first?

Hold your hands up and say oops you're not carrying a knife let me put mine down, make this a fair fight?

If someone broke into my house I'd use any means necessary to defend myself
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Do you have a spare room? Would you be prepared to offer it to a lodger?

Interview potential applicants away from home so you can check them out, ask for checkable references.

Getting a dog would only be a solution if you do not work full time. Coming home to bins emptied on the floor, items broken and torn, and little deposits everywhere, is not ideal.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family