MSE News: Turn your telly into a "smart TV" for £10

Options

Comments

• almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Let's wait and see what hacking goes on with these. As mentioned above, getting Plex or XBMC onto it would be a big boost...
  • Gleek
    Gleek Posts: 710 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Apparently you are (at the moment) able to get plex on it - but it remains to see if Sky will cover the loophole. (from Cnet)

The Plex app is also missing, so there's no easy way to stream your own movies to the box. If you're of a technical bent you can get Plex onto the box by enabling the developer menu (Press Home, Home, Home, Up, Up, Right, Left, Right, Left, Right on the remote) and then installing Plex as a zip file from Github, although Sky may close this loophole as part of future software updates.
    Princess Sparklepants
  • Former_MSE_Becca
    Options
    bobbly wrote: »
    The NOW TV box also has another output socket that lets you use a 3.5mm jack to AV cable to plug it into a SCART adapter. I contacted Sky and they said they'd send me the appropriate cable for free.

Thanks for pointing this out bobbly - I have it confirmed by Sky now and have amended the news story accordingly.

Many thanks,
    MSE Becca
  • helenmm
    helenmm Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Anyone know if I need a HD TV for the NOW TV
  • Inner_Zone
    Inner_Zone Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    edited 31 July 2013 at 4:35PM
    Options
    helenmm wrote: »
    Anyone know if I need a HD TV for the NOW TV

No, Now TV channel is SD, other channels maybe HD but will be SD via the AV cable anyway. But see posts 6 & 7.
  • halwise
    halwise Posts: 666 Forumite
    Options
    Can I use this in Germany using Expat shield?:o
  • wh_robbiins
    Options
    I too am interested in this for Spain, using a proxy UK server or VPN. Hope that someone can help!
  • bobbly
    bobbly Posts: 45 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    rogerblack wrote: »
    You do of course need a TV licence for the above - it's not just the £9.99.
    No, you do not need a TV licence to watch YouTube or any on-demand programmes via BBC iPlayer, etc.
  • gadgetmind
    gadgetmind Posts: 11,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've gone for the £9.99 box and the £15 for six months deal.

At the end of six months, the box will probably go on ebay (does little that our Blu Ray player doesn't) and we'll cancel as £8.99 pcm is too much.

However, let's see. I'm a Linux hacker myself so we might this box to sit up and do tricks over the next few months.
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • buebottle60
    Options
    Sky customers are able to get a free on demand connector which is worth £21.95 which covers all Sky on demand channels & all the freeview channels. I have my tv connected to my computer so I get all the freeview on on demand channels that way
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure