Add your feedback on energy supplier Zog Energy

Options

Comments

• ASavvyBuyer
    ASavvyBuyer Posts: 1,737 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    They have come back and apologised for the mistake. No charge for switching from Saturn 12 to Mercury 12 tariff. Even offered to back date it a few days because of their error.
    Zog have now switched us to the Mercury 12 tariff and lowered our DD by £2 a month, to reflect the lower charges. Only been with them a short while and very impressed with the customer service.
  • lstar337
    lstar337 Posts: 3,442 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Amazing service from Zog again.

Got an email this morning saying my fixed tariff would end on the 5th of May. I emailed asking when I could switch to the cheaper Mercury tariff without the early exit fee, and the answer was today with prices effective immediately.

So I told them to action it and an hour later it is all done!
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,951 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Another positive report. Left them 17th March, correct final bill 31st March and refund in the bank today 1st April.
  • thelight
    thelight Posts: 141 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I switched to them a few months ago from the EDF move in tarrif to Mercury 12.

The switch process was fine and as far as I can see the day to day running of things is fine.

What they don't seem to be doing is adjusting my bills to my actual usage, and effectively refused to do so when I contacted them by email to request that they adjust my direct debit every month to match my actual usage. I'm submitting about 4 readings per month at the moment so they should have more than enough information to do so.

There refund policy isn't ideal either. The criteria for claiming an in-credit refund is that you have to request a refund of over £50, and they will only do that if it leaves your account two direct debits worth in credit afterwards. As far as I am concerned, this is them stealing my money.

They are easy to contact though, responding to emails very swiftly.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,101 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 8 May 2016 at 12:05PM
    Options
    thelight wrote: »

The switch process was fine and as far as I can see the day to day running of things is fine.

What they don't seem to be doing is adjusting my bills to my actual usage, and effectively refused to do so when I contacted them by email to request that they adjust my direct debit every month to match my actual usage. I'm submitting about 4 readings per month at the moment so they should have more than enough information to do so.

There refund policy isn't ideal either. The criteria for claiming an in-credit refund is that you have to request a refund of over £50, and they will only do that if it leaves your account two direct debits worth in credit afterwards. As far as I am concerned, this is them stealing my money.

I provide Zog with an actual meter reading on the last day of each month, and get an accurate bill a few days later. My latest statement came through yesterday evening. As far as DD payments are concerned, Zog does not offer monthly billing based on actual usage (i.e., variable monthly DDs) which is what I think you are asking for? I fail to see how Zog is 'stealing your money' as any overpayments will sit on your account as a credit balance.

The detail of your contract is in Zog's terms and conditions:

Your monthly payment amount will be calculated based on the expected volume of gas you use in a year and spread over 12 monthly payments.

We will review your payments every six months and adjust if necessary to make sure you pay the right amount for your usage over a year.
  • thelight
    Options
    Yes this was what I was asking for. I disagree though, money sitting in Zog's account which is for gas I have not used is money I am no longer earning interest on.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,101 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yes this was what I was asking for. I disagree though, money sitting in Zog's account which is for gas I have not used is money I am no longer earning interest on.

What you are asking for is not on offer from Zog. Your only option is to change to a supplier that offers variable direct debits. FWiW, most of the smaller suppliers that offer the cheapest energy ask for payments in advance and they need to manage their cash flow carefully. Variable DDs incur an admin cost which customers ultimately have to pay for. Given current interest rates, the loss in interest to you cannot be more than a couple of £s.
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

I'm not sure what you mean by "What they don't seem to be doing is adjusting my bills to my actual usage" :huh:

They produce statements every month, and if you give them a meter reading on the last day of the month, you will get a statement that reflects what you have actually used. :)

(The statements tend to be issued about 5-7 days into the new month, but cover the period only of the previous calendar month)

Like the vast majority of suppliers, they don't offer variable monthly DD. You pay 1/12th of the anticipated annual cost per month.
  • thelight
    Options
    Yes I understand how most energy companies work, I just dislike it and would rather be billed in the same way as I am for my mobile phone usage
  • lstar337
    lstar337 Posts: 3,442 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes I understand how most energy companies work, I just dislike it and would rather be billed in the same way as I am for my mobile phone usage
    The saving you are making with Zog is far more than any interest you would be earning. ;)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback