Please help me get rid of cold callers(i need a sticker) :(

Options

Comments

• marleyboy
    marleyboy Posts: 16,698 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Unless they got there foot stuck in it as well ;)
    :A:dance:1+1+1=1:dance::A
    "Marleyboy you are a legend!"
    MarleyBoy "You are the Greatest"
    Marleyboy You Are A Legend!
    Marleyboy speaks sense
    marleyboy (total legend)
    Marleyboy - You are, indeed, a legend.
  • zappster1966
    Options
    There's another side to this story.

I'm a researcher. Most of my survey work is for the government. Some of it's really important stuff too & helps government departments plan for the services they provide for your local area.

It's so dispiriting going 'round only to get knockbacks on the doorstep most of the time. Most people just assume you're trying to sell something. Or that you're a religious wacko. Or a conman come to rob the house.

Legitimate researchers always carry identification and a leaflet explaining what research they're doing & why they're doing it. The leaflet gives the researcher's name & Head Office contact number. We always register at the local police station in case you have any doubts. You're never compelled to help. After all, it's your home and your time.

But don't write off everyone who knocks at the door.

We're not all bad ;)
  • mrcow
    mrcow Posts: 15,170 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

I'm a researcher. Most of my survey work is for the government. Some of it's really important stuff too & helps government departments plan for the services they provide for your local area.

So my taxes are PAYING for someone to come round and knock on the door to bother me! :mad::mad:

You'd better not ring my doorbell!

;)
    "One day I realised that when you are lying in your grave, it's no good saying, "I was too shy, too frightened."
    Because by then you've blown your chances. That's it."
  • dangeroussports
    Options
    Water pistol aimed squarely at their mouth.
    Tell them that when they open their mouth you will squirt water into it.

Followed by setting a rottweiler and several angry hoody type teenagers on them.
  • Freddie_Snowbits
    Options
    Had a cold caller come round our palace the other day, pretending to be some kind of misfortunate and had to sell things to eek out a living. Funny thing I just watched him jump from a mini bus with others and knock on a few doors on the estate where I live with Ms Freddie.

The fact that he tried to put a foot in my door to hold it open really got my goat. I told him in no way would I contemplate to his offerings, so I slammed the door on him.

Watched him cringe back to the mini bus and so other come flurrying within seconds. They have not been round since!
  • barrymung
    barrymung Posts: 638 Forumite
    Options
    How about something like:

"Strictly, no salespeople or canvassers.

Anyone found violating this notice will be charged an administration fee of £50"
  • Dave_Brooker
    Dave_Brooker Posts: 1,128 Forumite
    Options
    donna wrote: »
    Hi,

for the 3rd time in the last month we have just had the EYG double glazing firm around. Every time they come we tell them we won't be in a position to buy DG for at least the nex couple of years.

Today when they called my DH asked them if they would kindly make a note of our address and ask their sales people to stop calling here. The guy said this is not possible as they are all self employed and don't keep lists of whos called where!

Tell them you've just found god and invite them in to share the love of our lord jesus christ.

That should get rid of them.
    The money, Dave...
  • Dave_Brooker
    Dave_Brooker Posts: 1,128 Forumite
    Options
    barrymung wrote: »
    How about something like:

"Strictly, no salespeople or canvassers.

Anyone found violating this notice will be charged an administration fee of £50"

They'll end up on here reclaiming their unjust charges from OP....
    The money, Dave...
  • Rain_is_Insane
    Options
    I hate cold callers trying to sell things and used to have a sign on my door saying "Dear "seller" I am a bad tempered, alcoholic, 40-a-day smoking, skitzophrenic who loves sleep more than life itself. You wanna take your chances waking me up? BE MY GUEST!!!

Worked for a while but scared my son's friends who came to call for him so I had to take it down.

As for the researchers.....research that would help my local area, etc, I wouldn't mind doing, but they always seem to call in the evening. Yes i know most people are home in the evening therefore increasing the researchers chances of getting a taker, but they always seem to get me in the middle of my tea or when i'm just running a bath!! Perhaps if more of them asked politely if they could make an appointment to return with a questionnaire, people would be more accomodating.
  • rustypenny
    Options
    There should be a law against cold calling. Nothing worse than rushing down the stairs thinking theres been an accident or something to find a saleman wanting to talk about doubleglazing/utilities etc.

At least I can say "No thanks", what about alot of these more vulnerable people who end up inviting them in and possibly getting taken advantage of.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure