Prepaid Cards Guide Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,575 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Isolt wrote: »
    I had problems with Monzo. Used it without any problems for quite a few months. Then suddenly the card stopped working. I had about £800 in the account. A call to customer services and some strangely laid back bloke was like "oh yeah, we had to block your account. I'll try to find out why." Only after I gave them hell did they grudgingly reinstate access to my money. Their reason for blocking the card was "we think we had problems verifying you." This, after me having provided my passport and address ID 9 months before and them having emailed me 9 months before to confirm I was verified. Really strange bunch. If I hadn't been extremely persistent I would not have got my money back from them.
    This is the first real problem with Monzo that I've seen reported - let's hope they take notice and find ways to avoid such issues and attitudes.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • Watts50
    Options
    I took out a prepaid credit card from MasterCard in February 17. It cost £72 for the year, paid in monthly installments. I also had an overdraft facility ( £100). This cost me £10 per month. I paid a small amount in every month to cover these costs and a little surplus. But I always seemed to have to pay more in. I never used the account for this reason. I decided to close the account recently. The charges were £92.36 for the full years charges. They assured me the account was closed but refused to give written confirmation. I then discovered more charges have been added to my (closed)account. Another £35 for overdraft fees and subscription charges. How can I be sure that this account is closed especially as I have paid all fees? I'm a pensioner on a low income. I have written to MasterCard but have had no reply.
  • eDicky
    Options
    Watts50 wrote: »
    I took out a prepaid credit card from MasterCard in February 17.
    Who is the card provider (eg. Cashplus)?
  • Watts50
    Options
    Yes it is with CASHPLUS
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,623 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes it is with CASHPLUS

So why did you write to MasterCard?
    . I have written to MasterCard but have had no reply.

Surely a letter to Cashplus would be more appropriate.
    ====
  • FrostedPenguin
    Options
    I have a Pockit Prepaid MasterCard which I got because they were offering £15 for a £10 topup during a promotion. I didn't need it but I couldn't resist the free money. The £15 balance was just sitting there and I needed a cheap payg mobile handset for travelling. Good old Carphone Warehouse had a deal for a sim free long life battery brick for £14.99 delivered. I thought I'll have one of them and bought it online and paid with the Pockit balance. Email followed with my order details etc. A few minutes later I get another email cancelling the order. No explanation just cancelled thanks very much. An 0870 number if I wanted to discuss it but other than that nothing. I was going to phone but then I thought I would try something. I placed the exact same order again, same name, address, email etc but I paid using my First Direct Visa card. Sure enough within minutes I got a despatch email, the handset will be with me tomorrow. Now all this might be a coincidence but if the original order was cancelled because I used a prepaid card it seems a bit tight on people who only have these types of card. I could understand if Carphone did this with a contract phone but this was just a sim free phone, not even Payg. I was just curious if anyone else had experienced this.
  • eDicky
    Options
    Yes it is with CASHPLUS
    I had a Cashplus card which had no monthly fee at first, and when they told me they would begin charging I reduced the balance to zero and ceased using it. So they could not take the monthly fee, and they never asked me for it. In your case I assume it would be the same, although I don't know how it would work with the overdraft fee. Anyway I suggest you don't pay any money into your supposedly closed account, and see what they say in reply to your letter. Can you still log in to your account online?
  • Hertsteve
    Options
    All fine until I attempted my first purchase online. I received an email saying that the transaction had been declined by my credit card company (Pockit). I contacted Pockit using the contact form on their website asking why the payment had been declined - and after seven days they replied via email. They said that the web site I placed my order on uses 3D Secure authentication - and Pockit are not yet enrolled into this scheme. As the 3D Secure box pops up briefly on several sites I order from, the Pockit card would be of little use to me, so I replied asking them to cancel my card and refund the money I had deposited on the card. They agreed and asked me for bank details. After I emailed bank details (as requested), I was surprised to receive an email asking me to send a photograph of my bank statement ensuring all four corners of the statement was visible. I was annoyed and said no at first but then I took a photograph covering my balance and transactions. I don't see that this card has much to offer and the customer service is poor.
  • jovichick123
    Options
    I was given some vouchers from work as I am leaving to become a student - they were compliments vouchers and therefore limited to where I can spend them. I went to Argos and bought a prepaid Visa £50 gift card issued by Epay - in the terms it says it can be used anywhere that accepts Visa so I expected it to be usable pretty much everywhere.

In the past two days both Asda and Tesco have refused to accept it as payment but have both proceeded to allow me to pay using my normal visa debit card. The card does not have chip and pin but has the facility to swipe. Sports Direct and Waterstones have had no issue accepting it.

Am confused, I thought these cards were supposed to be able to be used in the same way as 'normal' visa cards - at the moment, I feel very much like I have been missold to :(

Anyone got any advice?
  • andyt8
    andyt8 Posts: 113 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi,

Watch out is all I can say ~ as this has happened to me.

I applied and got a "Cashplus Freedom" card which was in the best buy section of some other money website as it came with no monthly fee and no charges for purchases or cash withdrawals.

Seemed ideal for me for a card I would use to save up money for birthdays, christmas purchases etc by paying in a regular small amount and only occasionally use for purchases

However, watch out. They changed me over to their standard "Cashplus" card after 12mths which has a £4.95 monthly fee. This is a lot considering I rarely use it for payments but do pay a small amount of money in each month by standing order.

They claim they sent me an email advising me of this change - but I dont remember getting it and cant find it in my archived emails even. I phoned them to complain and they say that according to their terms and conditions this is all they have to do - inform you at least 60days in advance of any change by whatever means they choose. So no letters to your registered home address.

I am planning to withdraw my funds and go elsewhere. Any suggestions for a pre paid debit card with low fees that would suit my usage as above.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback