What small DFW things will you do this week? Wc 24/10/16

Options

Comments

• maria3104
    Options
    Morning all,

Another week at work commences.

Eaten lunch from home. I have forgotten what a bought lunch tastes like. Not had one since July!

Supper prepared so an easy night, which is good as I am ready for bed now and it is only 12.45!! Sigh!

We have dogs and they give me incalculable pleasure. Good luck with your.

M x
  • woollisox
    Options
    Back again!

*Meals from stores.
    *try and sort out a new energy supplier.
    *tidy up the house
    *print out some work for uni
    *make dr's appment
    *Make a shopping list for Max's new raw diet and a plan for introducing him to it. Raw feeding is really interesting as Max is just 20 months old and has arthritis in his back knees, balding patches on his chest and this raw feeding is meant to be healthier for him (though it's going to end up costing more than our food at this rate!)

Not much going on really, unexpected day off so haven't got a huge amount to sort out as it's either been done / will be done over the next few days.
    Take care x
  • woollisox
    woollisox Posts: 97 Forumite
    edited 24 October 2016 at 4:16PM
    Options
    I have a question for those with dogs. We have been considering getting a dog for the longest time and wanted advice from those already with one. There are two areas we are not 100% sure on:

1. being left alone - I have found someone in the local area who would be willing to spend a couple of hours mid day with our puppy so it wouldn't be on it's own for longer than 3 hours and other than that I think between oh coming in at lunchtime to spend time/walk with it I could organise my 1 day every other week where 1/2 day I work from home. Do people think this is sufficient/fair to the puppy? I'm assuming at a certain point it will be able to spend 4ish hours on it's own with a dog walker at lunchtime

2. insurance is a mind field! what companies do you use. What level of protection have you gone for? & how much have you paid

really appreciate your input!

I work full time shifts and my partner works full time, but my mom pops in let him out for half hour or so at a dinnertime, so Max is on his own from about 8am til about 12ish, then 12.30/1ish til about 5pm. I know this will be unpopular on here but Max has never known any different and he's not affected by being on his own, if anything he just gets more fuss when we're home. Max is hyperactive when we get home for about 15 minutes, then he just wants to snuggle all night (and eat as much as possible!). He very, very, very rarely makes a mess inside (it's only when he has an upset stomach from eating something he shouldn't have) though he does chew things this has slowed since we invested in a couple of kongs to keep him occupied. We got Max when he was 8 weeks and I had two months off at the time so I was there with him when he needed training and I wouldn't change it for the world. I think of him as my teenager as he's so grumpy and he 'argues' with me about going to bed / going outside. Getting Max made our lives so much better, but I think you would definitely need to be there a lot at the beginning as they've just left their littermates and they will be lonely. We had a crate for Max at the beginning but if I could do it again I wouldn't have crated him at all as it was harder to train him after he left his crate.
    Max is my first dog as an adult, but I was always brought up with rescue dogs and we're thinking of getting another dog from a rescue next year when we've got a bit more room. Just make sure if you go to a rescue you explain that you work but you've got a plan for lunchtimes and your lifestyle (very active, inactive, no children, young children, etc.) and they will help you find a dog that will slot into your life. Be wary obviously, but don't be scared off by people saying that rescues are vicious, as it's not the case more often than it is (and where it is the rescue will know this and rehome wisely / not at all). Plus you can have an age request, so you could request a dog that's under 6 months so you get all the fun of puppies without all the housetraining (hopefully!)

W x

Just a thought as for pet insurance, Max is currently with T35co I think it's about 13 a month. He's not on any medication for his legs yet as they just don't seemind to bother Jim (and I got 35 cashback for signing him up) he has been on pet plan before this and they seemed okay too but luckily have never had to put a claim in so no idea how they are at paying out. Unless Max's legs start to go funny I'll probably tart around insurances every year as nothing seems to phase him and he's not as boisterous as he used to be so don't think he really needs the insurance. I'd probably put away the money instead like the others have said as it'll work out better in the long run xx
  • 1LuckyLady
    1LuckyLady Posts: 1,206 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Afternoon all and thanks for the started Dnms. (Sorry not a pet person so can't help!)

School holidays and dh holiday week here, Kids are out on an adventure day that was taken from entertainment spends last month :) Really hoping that they're having a good time :)
    Its a spendy day as dh's car was in for service. We went shopping this morning, a few bits from the £shop to go into the kids xmas pressies (notepads/pens etc) Also got pjs & slippers for me that dh will wrap from the kids for xmas.
    We didn't go out for lunch, we came home and had fishfinger sandwiches :) When we go out to pick up kids later we decided to get 2 portions of fish & chips and bring them back here for us all to share.

So todays small things (not a lot as its always hard when everyone home with me!)
    * Ys bagels for breakfast
    * Kids took a bag of crisps from home for the bus ride home from the adventure place, rather then give them money to get something from the onsite shop.
    * Checked banking
    * Checked luckyphone
    * Updated pressie list
    * Limit heating as we have plenty of blankets/jumpers etc
    * Another movie night with the kids from our stash or netf1ix/amazn

Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
  • determined_new_ms
    Options
    Thanks for your imput guys re the dog situ! I think we have decided it's still not the right time for us :( think we need to wait another year or so when madam is a little older and look for an older pup (say 6 months - 1 year). Thinking about contacting the breader/kennel where we viewed the pups yesterday to say if someone is looking to rehome a pup then to give us a call. I had a lengthy conversation with him earlier and he did say that occasionally people return a pup if it hasn't worked out for one reason or another (last time it was because a member of the family developed an allergy to dogs!) So all is not lost
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Evening all :)
    Seem to have done very little today except work at my business :o
    HM meals from stores
    Only business spends, no personal or household ones
    'Free' hot drinks from wood burner top kettle this evening :)

I was interested in the answers to the dog question. We have always had dogs - my family had one when I was born and I have never been without at least one. Sometimes we have had to leave them for extended periods, but it is not ideal. Our current one is 16 months old now, and is fine to leave for 3 or 4 hours - if we go anywhere for longer than that, he either comes with us (he is pocket size :)), or someone (neighbour or DD looks after him for part of the day. Puppies are a lot of work - the housetraining and getting him used to being alone at night were a slog. I would have loved to have adopted a rescue dog, but as I often look after my GD, who is nearly 3 now, I decided to get a pup so they could get used to one another under supervision. I chose him because we were able to see both of his parents, and they were lovely and friendly. They lived in a home and not in kennels and were very well behaved. Pup and GD are great friends (you can imagine the mischief :rotfl:) though She does get a bit frustrated sometimes when he won't listen when she reads him a story or cooperate with complicated role play games :D

As for insurance, I haven't had insurance for previous dogs, but did take it out for this one in the first instance. At the end of the first year, even though we hadn't claimed, the premium rose sharply to the extent that the yearly premium would cover a reasonably sized vets bill :eek: There are also lots of exclusions - for example, the only non routine treatment pup has had is to have some retained baby teeth removed, and the insurance would not have covered that. So I discontinued it, and if/ when he needs it, will have to pay for treatment, as we always have before. What we do have though is a pet healthcare plan through the vet's, which covers all his routine vaccinations, wormers, flea treatment etc. It also covered part of the cost of his neuter operation and gets him a check up with one of the practice's qualified nurses every couple of months, and this seems to be really good value at £12.50 per month. To be honest, his hairdressing needs are more expensive than his healthcare ones at present in any case (he is a fur ball) :rotfl:

We have had dogs of all shapes and sizes, and I would agree with previous opinions that small dogs are MUCH cheaper than larger ones, both to feed and for vet treatment. We chose a small breed (or mixture in this case, he is a Yorkie x Chihuahua, looks like a small Yorkie) this time primarily because we no longer have a large garden, immediate access to fields etc, and were surprised how much lower the costs are.
  • 1LuckyLady
    Options
    1LuckyLady wrote: »
    Afternoon all and thanks for the started Dnms. (Sorry not a pet person so can't help!)

School holidays and dh holiday week here, Kids are out on an adventure day that was taken from entertainment spends last month :) Really hoping that they're having a good time :)Kids had a fab time :D
    Its a spendy day as dh's car was in for service. We went shopping this morning, a few bits from the £shop to go into the kids xmas pressies (notepads/pens etc) Also got pjs & slippers for me that dh will wrap from the kids for xmas.
    We didn't go out for lunch, we came home and had fishfinger sandwiches :) When we go out to pick up kids later we decided to get 2 portions of fish & chips and bring them back here for us all to share. Decided against the chippy as we had some left over sausages in the fridge so kids had them & beans instead

So todays small things (not a lot as its always hard when everyone home with me!)
    * Ys bagels for breakfast
    * Kids took a bag of crisps from home for the bus ride home from the adventure place, rather then give them money to get something from the onsite shop.
    * Checked banking
    * Checked luckyphone
    * Updated pressie list
    * Limit heating as we have plenty of blankets/jumpers etc
    * Another movie night with the kids from our stash or netf1ix/amazn

Other small things
    * Dh & I had soup & ys bread rolls from stores
    * We are watching Kingsmen from our stash
    * Used a code from :money: email to get some thornt0ns chocolates for fil for xmas (also went through cashback site)
    * Used a code to get £5 off a £30 shop for mil's xmas pressie from Lakeland, added a couple of extra bits onto the order to get up to the £30 which I will be able to use towards xmas 2017 for my niece. :beer:
    * Always struggle to find something for my parents for xmas, so I've booked tickets for them to see a show at the local theatre at Easter
    That's all the presents ordered now :D :beer::j:money::p;):D:cool::eek::rotfl::T:A:)

All in all a very productive day :D
    Tomorrows going to be a much cheaper day thankfully!

Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
  • PurpleFairy26
    Options
    La e hope you're feeling better today. :hello: everyone.

Up and about, washing already out of cheap load and started to hang out, will see if I can put it outside later. I will also:

Check banking, surveys, FPL, £co
    Meals from stores
    Working from home so no commute :T
    Need to check October list, think there might be a couple if things on there/annoying things list I could get done whilst at home
    Call plasterer for quote for room upstairs
    Make biscuits or cake
    Go for a run
    Have bolegnase left over from yesterday. Will make some into a lasagne for smalls tea and portion rest up for another meal
    Left over muffin for breakfast :o
    Tomato plant still going, it's the gift that really does keep on giving. Still has new flowers on it that have come since the weekend, they may not come to anything but not composting plant yet
    Hope my wool comes I ordered, if so I can start my project :D

Think that's all for now, enjoy your Tuesday. PF.
  • determined_new_ms
    Options
    Morning PF yay to working at home! I'm going to try to set it up so I work from home a day a fortnight soon :D

Pay day for me :money: so have checked banking & done some shifting - funny how these habits are now so ingrained in me I kinda always know what's in my bank with no horrible surprises :D

This madam has a birthday get together for one of her friends. We're meeting at build a bear and then going to McDs. Still need to dig out a present from stash and wrap it - will get madam to so it's more authentic :p Card bought months ago dug out from box ;) Think I will leave a bit early and park out of town for a bit of exercise as well as no parking costs - I must say I detest paying for parking and hardy ever do personally (sometimes can't be helped for work). I will have a big bowl of porridge before going so I'm not tempted to eat there (have a ms on Thurs so will wait till then :D)

meeting up with a friend for a coffee & catch up this afternoon

I want to make BNS & cinnamon rolls at some point

ring Inland Rev to see if I can sort out my codes for starting my self assessment :o I just know this is going to be a pain!

Will nip into £1and for some toothpaste while in town

hopefully oh won't mind me going to the lottie for an hour when he comes home this evening. Made good progress yesterday :D when I don't go I lose interest/motivation in going, but as soon as I do I feel motivated and excited about it again :j

need to check through fridge and make sure anything that needs using up gets used

Ok that's
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
  • 1LuckyLady
    Options
    Morning all, La E hope you are feeling better.
    Dnms, what is BNS?

Its another wet holiday day here today but we are heading out regardless :)
    Going to drive into town, like Dnms we won't pay for parking, we'll park nr my parents and walk in. In town there is a science event (free entry ;) ) After that we'll go back to my parents and I'm taking some chicken that needs cooking and we'll have lunch with them. Possibly pop into the library to take some books back as we are close by as well.

Other small things will include
    * Checking banking :)
    * Check luckyphone
    * Something on jacket potatoes for tonight
    * Update kids pocket money chart as we picked them up a xbox controller yesterday which they are sharing the cost of
    * Quick clean round with stardrops and cloths
    * Minimum heating on as we have plenty of blankets
    * Continue watching a film later with kids as we only got half way through last night before they were yawning

I think that's about it for now. My lists are never very mse when the kids/hubby are home but every little helps!

Have a good day all.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure