balance transfers

Options
Hi, I have two credit cards one that i use for purchases (lloyds) and one for balance transfers (barclaycard), the one that I use for balance transfers is about to come to the 0% period and I still have a balance on it. My lloyds card has a balance on it also. My plan was to transfer my barclay card onto my loyds to create one lump sum, and then transfer it all back onto my barclaycard with a 0% offer. is this possible ? Thanks.

Comments

• StopIt
    StopIt Posts: 1,470 Forumite
    Options
    The one snag is that Lloyds may treat the balances separately, meaning when you go to transfer it back to a new 0% offer, it may have to be transferred in chunks, making 2 balances anyway.

Consult both banks first, and ask that this would be OK. It should work so long as the Lloyds card accepts balance transfers still.

In debt and looking for help? Look here for the MSE Debt Help Guide.
    Also, If you need any free and impartial debt advice, the National Debtline, Stepchange, and the CAB can help.
  • pjdavis316
    Options
    Ok thanks, Lloyds offer me a balance transfer with a small % fee. I was just unsure if there was a time scale where you couldn't transfer it back out to another card.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    The time scales depends on the BT offer terms of the other card, not the one the balance is sitting on.
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,135 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If Lloyds are offering a 0% promotional BT with a small fee - it would be pointless transferring all of it straight back to BC without making the most of the deal. Just transfer the purchases balance back to BC.

If it's not a promo offer then of course move it all back ;)
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family