Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Former MSE Alana
    Report Bank Charges successes and failures
    • 8th Dec 09, 10:33 PM
    Report Bank Charges successes and failures 8th Dec 09 at 10:33 PM

Please report your Bank Charges Reclaiming Successes/failures
    since the Supreme Court decision in Nov 2009 here

REMEMEBER BY DOING THIS YOU ENCOURAGE OTHERS WHO MAY BE TOO SCARED TO RECLAIM

How to report your success/failure:

1. Click reply to enter you story.

2. Report your story in the following format:
    • Bank name:
    • Amount Reclaimed:
    • Amount they paid:
    • The story: (Just a few sentences, please include how far you went did you a. just write a letter, b. threaten to go to court or c. actually go to court)
    ***** Want to tell your story in a newspaper/on TV? *****

Hi all. If you've had a refund we need your help

Bank Charges is often in the news and we are frequently asked if we have any MoneySavers that are willing to tell their stories to the press.

If you'd like to help spread the news and encourage others, please e-mail casestudy@moneysavingexpert.com (sorry but we can't answer questions at this email address) with as much of the following info as you can:

* how much was your claim for
    * how much did you get back
    * who is your bank
    * a daytime phone number - we often need to reach people at very short notice
    * whether you are happy to appear in the papers,tv or both
    * where you live

NOTE IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS
    ABOUT RECLAIMING BANK CHARGES
    PLEASE FIRST READ THE GUIDE:
    Bank Charges Reclaiming
    Last edited by MSE Archna; 10-06-2010 at 4:35 PM.
Page 75
    • Placida
    • By Placida 31st Mar 17, 11:34 AM
    • 176 Posts
    • 131 Thanks
    Placida
    I sent the bank charges reclaim letter with interest on Saturday to Santander for my current account. It was for over 2k of charges I did the paragraph explaining the hardship - very painful (lots of death and biz going downhill). Today someone from the bank kept trying to call me then left a message to call back. I am terrified/feel sick.Now what. Should I speak? Will the lady be angry and reject it if I don't. Feeling really sick.This refund would mean the world.
    Originally posted by facingthefuture
    Hi, you may find this link useful.

http://www.santander.co.uk/uk/help-support/money-worries
    • Mersey
    • By Mersey 3rd Apr 17, 1:32 PM
    • 1,502 Posts
    • 713 Thanks
    Mersey
    It's probably just a courtesy call to check your details or perhaps a Q they have before they can reply. Nothing to worry about.
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
    • MARKSKI
    • By MARKSKI 11th May 17, 2:27 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    MARKSKI
    Lloyds Full Refund ! Over 3k!

I read an article about account fees and then used the Resolver application on this website. I've been paying account fees for more than 20 years having been told originally that I was more likely to get loans, credit and better interest etc and over the years the accounts just kept on being upgraded, to a point that I was paying £25 a month for insurance, car breakdown and all sorts of stuff I don't use or need.

It took 30 minutes to fill in my form, 1 phone call to discuss with Lloyds and 3 days after filling in the form I have £3864.54 credited back into my account (fees refunded with interest).

Amazing, thank you so much!

I encourage anyone with a history of paying fees out of habit to do this.
    • Jeccy
    • By Jeccy 3rd Jul 17, 6:29 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Jeccy
    Just received an email from the ombudsman upholding Barclays refusal to consider my claim because I should've made a complaint in 2009 having down-grading to a fee-free account in 2006.
    What a joke! My whole point is that I didn't know I could complain- I thought I had to pay in order to have an account. Isn't that why so many people are surprised with all this reclaiming??
    Sadly not a happy ending for me.
    • MDSDiver
    • By MDSDiver 4th Jul 17, 5:10 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    MDSDiver
    Bank name: LLOYDS
    Amount Reclaimed: £950
    Amount they paid:£2k
    The story:
    Used the resolver website to draft an email , reason advised by branch originally that had to get a packaged Gold account to get a loan , within a week of claim all resolved and £954 of fees repaid with interest totalling over £2k
    Also claimed for a second following period , but was unsuccessful as they had records of usage of breakdown only available with that exact account , even though miss sale claim for other period related to joint travel insurance.
    • stressedaah30
    • By stressedaah30 12th Jul 17, 8:59 PM
    • 1,291 Posts
    • 10,896 Thanks
    stressedaah30
    resolved package account fees with lloyds man said £1100
    £600 for the fees paid £500 interest
    anyway i had the £600 in account today is it normal for the interest to be paid seperate i just thouhgt id get in a lumpsum together
    anyone shed any light on this please
    JAN WINS- pepsi tshirt,
    • bluemoon4ever
    • By bluemoon4ever 13th Jul 17, 11:31 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    bluemoon4ever
    SUCCESS in 24 hours with HALIFAX

WOW! i used your bank charge complaint template which collates your details then automatically emails your bank for you (Resolver). I did this Yesterday. Just claimed for mis-selling account when i needed an overdraught. Today i get a call from a nice man at the Halifax at 2pm who took some details, then by 6pm i was 2,200 GBP better off, and i didnt even have to leave my house!

Thanks again for all the great info and help.
    Last edited by bluemoon4ever; 13-07-2017 at 11:39 PM. Reason: additional info
    • bluemoon4ever
    • By bluemoon4ever 13th Jul 17, 11:35 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    bluemoon4ever
    bank payments
    @stressedaah30

Yes the same happened to me. I am getting 3 payments.1644.49 in returned fees, 509.76 in returned interest, and 138.00 in returned charges.

The 509.76 amount was in my account within 4 hours of the refund confirmed (approx 36 hours after making a claim) AMAZING!
    • SmokinAces
    • By SmokinAces 24th Jul 17, 11:44 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    SmokinAces
    So, I asked Barclays for a refund on bank charges from 5yrs ago. They offered me about 1/8th of what I asked for and sent a cheque. I called asking for more, they declined. If I cash the cheque, can I still go to the ombudsman? Thanks for any advice
    • antrobus
    • By antrobus 24th Jul 17, 11:52 AM
    • 15,034 Posts
    • 21,357 Thanks
    antrobus
    So, I asked Barclays for a refund on bank charges from 5yrs ago. They offered me about 1/8th of what I asked for and sent a cheque. I called asking for more, they declined. If I cash the cheque, can I still go to the ombudsman? Thanks for any advice
    Originally posted by SmokinAces
    The ombudsman has to take the law into account when we decide cases. So we considered the Supreme Court's decision - and its implications - very carefully. Our view is that the legal ruling means we are not generally able to help with cases that involve "template" or "standard letter" complaints about unauthorised overdraft charges.

But in keeping with our usual approach to complaints that are referred to us, we will review each case individually - to see whether there are any one-off circumstances that may apply. For example, we would expect current-account providers to deal positively and sympathetically with a consumer in financial hardship - including where bank charges had added to their difficulties

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/faq/bank-charges.html
    • Mersey
    • By Mersey 25th Jul 17, 10:29 PM
    • 1,502 Posts
    • 713 Thanks
    Mersey
    Originally posted by SmokinAces

You should never usually bank a cheque - if it's an offer you are declining (as in law this is deemed to have accepted the offer).

However, banks allow customers to accept interim payments, so you should only bank it if you inform them that you are doing so on that basis - in order to crystallise their offer and to prevent interest from accruing - and that you do not accept their purported final offer. The FOS can look at any final offer letter within 6 months, if you refer it to them (you can do so online or over the 'phone).
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
    • safestored4
    • By safestored4 25th Jul 17, 11:03 PM
    • 411 Posts
    • 378 Thanks
    safestored4
    Stop faffing about and get on with your life. The banks won the court case on charges in 2009 and the financial ombudsman has no power to order them to pay anything more than what they have already offered.
    • MRSKOMAROVA32
    • By MRSKOMAROVA32 31st Jul 17, 9:34 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MRSKOMAROVA32
    How far back can I claim?
    Please can someone help?

I m wondering how far back I can claim on my unauthorised overdraft fees? Between 2006 - 2010 I have unauthorsed overdraft fees totalling £3561. Can my bank ( Bank Of Scotland) Go back as far as this?

Thank you
    • Charlie's dad
    • By Charlie's dad 2nd Aug 17, 12:35 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Charlie's dad
    Bank: Lloyds
    Amount claimed: About £400
    Amount repaid: £2,166
    I simply phoned Lloyds and asked to close the account because of the £25 pcm fee. The first woman I spoke to said I shouldn't have been paying the fee anyway as it had been ended some time ago. I was put through to someone who would look into my case and I explained that we were originally given the impression that taking the account and its insurance package were central to getting our mortgage agreed. Less than an hour later, she called back offering to refund all the monthly fees. I had expected a reluctant offer of about £400 or £500 but ended up with £2,166. Have to say, the woman was helpful and polite and freely admitted the claim was a legitimate one.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 2nd Aug 17, 1:20 AM
    • 88,853 Posts
    • 54,187 Thanks
    dunstonh
    Bank: Lloyds
    Amount claimed: About £400
    Amount repaid: £2,166
    I simply phoned Lloyds and asked to close the account because of the £25 pcm fee. The first woman I spoke to said I shouldn't have been paying the fee anyway as it had been ended some time ago. I was put through to someone who would look into my case and I explained that we were originally given the impression that taking the account and its insurance package were central to getting our mortgage agreed. Less than an hour later, she called back offering to refund all the monthly fees. I had expected a reluctant offer of about £400 or £500 but ended up with £2,166. Have to say, the woman was helpful and polite and freely admitted the claim was a legitimate one.
    Originally posted by Charlie's dad
    Well done but this thread is not on the subject of your charges.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
    • SMDorset
    • By SMDorset 15th Aug 17, 7:50 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    SMDorset
    Thank you Money Saving Expert, followed your advise and claimed for fees paid on our Gold Account at Lloyds Bank using your sites claim form, due to the fact we did not have any use for the main provision of travel insurance or mobile phone insurance for the monthly fee paid. Within 48 hours I had a £3000 net of tax offer dating back to 1995 from Lloyds and monies in our account within 5 days, without having to produce one item of evidence. Their records apparently go back to 2001 but a compromise of 1995 was offered by Lloyds!! Needless to say we were delighted. Can only encourage anyone else in the same situation to have a go and make a claim. (We currently do not bank with Lloyds!)
    • maslend
    • By maslend 21st Aug 17, 4:18 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    maslend
    need some advice... just called Lloyds and requested a "comprehensive list of all charges and transactions" as advise on the site and was told they were unable to do so and could only provide statements... anyone had any luck getting them?

TIA
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 21st Aug 17, 4:51 PM
    • 88,853 Posts
    • 54,187 Thanks
    dunstonh
    need some advice... just called Lloyds and requested a "comprehensive list of all charges and transactions" as advise on the site and was told they were unable to do so and could only provide statements... anyone had any luck getting them?

TIA
    Originally posted by maslend
    They are not required to provide any such breakdown.

Why do you need them?
    It cannot be for an unfair bank charges reclaim as that ended in 2009 when the banks won the court case.
    It cannot be for a financial hardship case as the bank will decide what, if any it will refund (and tend to only look at recent charges - although that depends on the severity)
    It cannot be for packaged bank accounts as its not needed.

So, why do you want them?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 21st Aug 17, 4:52 PM
    • 19,055 Posts
    • 9,172 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Originally posted by maslend
    Read back through the thread. You don't need a list of transactions or statements. The bank already know what you've paid and when. Historical bank charges are not somehow reclaimable, anyhow.

Since 2009, only people in the Bank's definition of current financial hardship are granted refunds of bank charges and then typically only the last six months.
    The Banks don't have to refund anything and any refunds are a goodwill gesture.

Are you in current financial hardship?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,227Posts Today

9,168Users online

Martin's Twitter