Ebico energy reviews: Give your feedback

Options

Comments

• Fortyfoot
    Fortyfoot Posts: 1,957 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Is the use of night time electricity free of charge?

I have never looked at this firm before, I am with EDF at the moment in my small flat. I use a lot of night time electricity.

ebico.jpg

Info from Energy helpline today.

Thanks,

Fortyfoot
  • trickytree1963
    Options
    2.3. Whilst on this Tariff, you should not consume more than 60% of your electricity during the
    night period.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Anthorn wrote: »
    Certainly not my experience of Scottish Power. When I moved Scottish Power ended my contract without charging me the exit fee because the property was already served by British Gas which insisted that I had an account with them in order to immediately continue supplying me with gas and electric. I then switched to Scottish Power which was my free choice.

What it comes down to is whether a tariff is transferrable and as far as I know SP online tariffs are not transferrable. In that case the tariff and the account is closed when moving to a new address.

I wasn't a SP customer, they were already supplying the flat I moved into. They wanted £200 per fuel (£400) upfront when I phone them to put the account into my name. I was never a SP customer before or after.

Obviously Scottish Power don't like dirty renters.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Fortyfoot wrote: »
    Is the use of night time electricity free of charge?

I have never looked at this firm before, I am with EDF at the moment in my small flat. I use a lot of night time electricity.

ebico.jpg

Info from Energy helpline today.

Thanks,

Fortyfoot

https://ebico.org.uk/energy-plans/ebico-night-owl/
  • Fortyfoot
    Fortyfoot Posts: 1,957 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks to all of you, I use over 60%, so this and all the other problems listed on here I will definitely give them a miss!

I will stay with EDF I think.

Fortyfoot
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,175 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Fortyfoot wrote: »
    Thanks to all of you, I use over 60%, so this and all the other problems listed on here I will definitely give them a miss!

I will stay with EDF I think.

Fortyfoot

Night time rate on Ebico Night Owl E7 tariff is indeed 0p but it's a higher day rate and the standing charge is 50p a day!

So unless you're planning on mining bitcoins only at night, then it's probably not worth it.
  • dave_dph
    dave_dph Posts: 618 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My Scottish Power tariff expires at the end of this month and I'm about to switch to Ebico Night Owl. Between April and the end of September my night usage is about 57%, obviously this increases drastically once the storage heaters go on. Even if I get booted off the Night Owl tariff after 6 - 9 months I'll have saved substantially against the next cheapest tariff available to me. I just need to time my switch to Ebico to coincide with the storage heaters being switched off in the next few weeks.
  • I-LOV-MONEY
    I-LOV-MONEY Posts: 1,267 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I am almost in the same position as dave_dph. My SP tarrif expires at the end of the month (I know I am late considering switching). My night usage seems to be almost 66%. So what will happen if I switch to Night Owl? Will they start charging for the 6% over the limit?
    Thank you for reading this message.
  • dave_dph
    Options
    I decided against it!

I called them up to clarify a few points and came to the conclusion it wasn't worth it. They assess the account every month. If they haven't fitted (or as in my case can't fit) a smart meter, you need to submit readings on a monthly basis. Once your night usage goes over 60% they give you notice (2 weeks if I remember correctly) that they will be moving you onto their Ebico Zero tariff; at this point you can choose to switch supplier with no exit fee.

My own calculations prove Night Owl to give little saving against other suppliers during April to October; and it was likely I would only get one autumn month on the tariff before being booted off! For me it wasn't going to achieve major savings as I wouldn't benefit from 'free' heating for 6 months.

The guy I spoke to agreed that 60% usage is far too low for people using storage heaters, but said it wouldn't be cost effective for them to increase the threshold! He estimated that 80% of customers currently on the tariff would be booted off once we get to the cooler months.

I have gone with EDF Online Saver April '19 with £30 Quidco cashback. For me it works out about £45 per year more that the cheapest suppliers (not including Night Owl), but having got fingers burnt helping family members switch to Extra Energy a few years back, I decided against the cheapest smaller suppliers, all of which have very bad reviews.
  • dave_dph
    Options
    A quick update.

After spending most of yesterday afternoon going through figures I cancelled the switch to EDF! I am now switching to Powershop. If I use Powershop's system to my advantage, over a year I should be paying £811, a great saving when compared to the £916 I would have paid to EDF! I realise this is going to take some extra effort on my part, but I'm up for the challenge.

Fingers crossed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport