What a mess...

Options

Comments

• stvn1
    stvn1 Posts: 141 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I got a letter today from Robinson Way confirming that the account is now settled and that they will update with the credit reference agencies. I might get it framed. :) At the start of this thread in October 2017 I owed them £2191.37, I still can't believe it's gone.
    LBM 26/10/17
    Total debt at LBM - £15421.47
    NOW DEBT FREE AS OF 30/07/19
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,615 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Fantastic result on the Robinson Way debt. Well done.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • moneyonmymindsam
    Options
    Well done on the results :-)

I went from debt to 12k savings and now working part time, so anything is possible. You are clearing it all so quickly, well done.

Keep up the good work !! your smashing it .
    Grocery challenge Feb £107/£100-epic fail due to cake and biscuits
    🌟
  • stvn1
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Well done on the results :-)

I went from debt to 12k savings and now working part time, so anything is possible. You are clearing it all so quickly, well done.

Keep up the good work !! your smashing it .

It was reading diaries with results like this that sparked my lbm. I already work part time though. :p
    LBM 26/10/17
  • stvn1
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I'm having a bit of a wobble. Over the past few nights I've been awake thinking about how to get rid of my debt. I know I need to keep things in perspective and I am trying. I'm finding it difficult not to obsess about this. It's just a wobble though, it will pass.
    LBM 26/10/17
  • wishingthemortgaheaway
    Options
    I'm sure it will pass, you've had
    the 'Arghhhh ' of the lbm,
    the determination of writing your letters
    The woo hoo of having settlements accepted
    The joy of smaller debts becoming a thing of the past
    And now... the hard slog...

You could just accept the path which you are following, or you could set up some mini challenges with yourself, or some 'temptation bundling'

What ever works for you, I need the challenges as I'm very competitive with myself. It may not Work for you.
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • stvn1
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I'm sure it will pass, you've had
    the 'Arghhhh ' of the lbm,
    the determination of writing your letters
    The woo hoo of having settlements accepted
    The joy of smaller debts becoming a thing of the past
    And now... the hard slog...

You could just accept the path which you are following, or you could set up some mini challenges with yourself, or some 'temptation bundling'

What ever works for you, I need the challenges as I'm very competitive with myself. It may not Work for you.

Thanks for the encouragement. I'll have a look at the challenges. :)
    LBM 26/10/17
  • stvn1
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I've just had a reply from Shoosmiths re the £709.48 debt:

"Our client has reviewed your proposal, and can confirm they are willing to accept £496.00 over six months (£82.70 per month) !!!8211; if this is unacceptable to you, in order to avoid further legal proceedings and costs please put forward a proposal in terms of a monthly arrangement to clear the outstanding balance of £709.48."

I've really pushed for a lower settlement with no success but that is still a 30% reduction bringing the debt to £496.00. I've no doubt that if I agree to this I can clear it much quicker than 6 months. I'll have a think about it tonight.
    LBM 26/10/17
  • wishingthemortgaheaway
    Options
    That sounds reasonable to me,
    If the mortgage company said they would reduce what I owed by even 3% I'd bite their hand off.
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • stvn1
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    That sounds reasonable to me,
    If the mortgage company said they would reduce what I owed by even 3% I'd bite their hand off.

I agree. I think I'd be spoiled by arguing for discounts of up to 65%. I'm going to reply to the email tomorrow morning and set up the arrangement.

Prior to making the first payment that will bring my total debt down to £4736.85. My target was to be under £5000 owed by the end of April so I need to keep things in perspective and appreciate the breaks when they come.
    LBM 26/10/17
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills