The Giving Up/ Cutting Down alcohol support thread - number 13

Options

Comments

• CuppaTea
    CuppaTea Posts: 1,333 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    6/18 for me please. Hoping to go straight through this week to Friday.
    Live for the moment and plan for the future
  • ElusiveLucy
    Options
    No intention to drink tonight, so I am calling in early with 5/16 please Shaggy
    What goes around comes around.....I hope!
  • debjay
    debjay Posts: 2,090 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    10/31 for tonight please.
  • BeTheChange
    Options
    Honeybear - sometimes I think when watching the soaps that most of he characters must have an unhealthy relationship with alcohol given how much of their lives is spent in the pub!

Maman - glad to hear it gets better!

10/31 for me please Shaggy
    Debt @ Sept '16 = £51804 Oct '16= £51,095 1.37% paid off
    Oct grocery challenge = £229.05/£250
    Oct AFD challenge = 20/31
    Oct NSD = 13/18
    Emergency Fund member #209 = 376/1000
  • Barny1979
    Barny1979 Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    5 and 6 for yesterday and today
  • Wanna_Bee_Free
    Options
    4 for today please Shaggy. Goodnight all.
  • Dizzy_Imp
    Dizzy_Imp Posts: 2,755 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Morning all! Seems like ages since I posted, but I've been good(ish) and would like to report I'm on 8/25 :D Thanks Shaggy x

Ooh, I get the cat smilie :j
  • Honey_Bear
    Honey_Bear Posts: 7,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Honeybear - sometimes I think when watching the soaps that most of he characters must have an unhealthy relationship with alcohol given how much of their lives is spent in the pub!

Very true, and it normalises boozey behaviour. Plus which, whereas 20 years ago a woman coming home from work on television would put the kettle on, nowadays she's shown pouring herself a glass of wine and taking a generous swig the minute she walks in the door. All that rubbish about 'wine o'clock' saddens me because, again, it's normalising alcohol as part of our all day, every day, booze culture. Brits have always had an odd relationship with alcohol (Hogarth, mother's ruin etc) but now it's seen as sophisticated, funny and clever to drink to excess frequently and regularly, whereas before it was seen as aberrant behaviour. I'm just glad I'm out of it.

Speaking of which, I still find myself monitoring how I feel about not drinking when I'm out and about, or having a meal with friends. It's taken about two years three months to get to the stage when I'm really comfortable and confident about not drinking when other people are - I literally can't remember the last time I felt the pull of a glass of red wine in those circumstances and in the early days it could be very tempting sometimes. I think I'm too conscious of how grateful I am not to be drinking with them. It feels like a freedom to me that I absolutely wouldn't want to give up.

11/31 please, Shaggy.
    Better is good enough.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,633 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Honey_Bear wrote: »
    Very true, and it normalises boozey behaviour. Plus which, whereas 20 years ago a woman coming home from work on television would put the kettle on, nowadays she's shown pouring herself a glass of wine and taking a generous swig the minute she walks in the door. All that rubbish about 'wine o'clock' saddens me because, again, it's normalising alcohol as part of our all day, every day, booze culture. Brits have always had an odd relationship with alcohol (Hogarth, mother's ruin etc) but now it's seen as sophisticated, funny and clever to drink to excess frequently and regularly, whereas before it was seen as aberrant behaviour. I'm just glad I'm out of it.

I was that woman!:o

Like you HB, I've analysed this. It's become a lifestyle thing rather like walking down the street with horrendously expensive cups of coffee. Also I think there's a sense of entitlement that's grown up and a need to reward oneself. To me it's part of the whole materialism thing that brought us retail therapy.

No drinking here today.

6 AFDs please Shaggy.
  • cathybird
    cathybird Posts: 13,453 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Morning all, 7/15 for me please. :)
    In April I am taking a break from buying: Books
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories