Letter from sky - GoldenEye claim I file shared!

Options
I haven't I should add.

Apparently, a company called GoldenEye have got a court order to get my name because I've been illegally filesharing.

Funny thing is if you go to the goldeneye website it seems more concerned with fighting piracy than anything else. I can smell a scam.

Awaiting a speculative invoice now. Sounds very fishy to me. I'm guessing they do very well out of people who get scared and just pay up.

Looks like they do !!!!!! films as well. Obviously, they know that if they sent letters in the post demanding payments for downloading !!!!!! then this may carry more weight. Can just imagine it. Husband gets letter and thinks flipping heck better pay this before wife sees it.

Absolutely scandalous behaviour. Should be illegal.

As someone who works in IT, know that an IP address can in no way be used as absolute proof. Its just too easy to spoof. I can't see how they've got a leg to stand on unless they come into your house and find said downloaded file on your computer.
Cymru am Byth !!! :j:j:j

Comments

• Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,706 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    They do appear to have a list from sky:

http://help.sky.com/articles/details-of-copyright-owners-who-have-obtained-court-orders-in-unlawful-file-sharing-cases

Not to difficult to defend I guess, especially if you have a dynamic IP addr. I'd wait for a response from someone legal before deciding to respond or ignore.
  • paulfoel
    paulfoel Posts: 5,819 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Apparently they did this a few years ago. Its appalling. It seems all the need to do is supply a list of IP addresses and the court will give up names.

Its not hard to work out Sky's dynamic IP address range so they could just make them up!

Send out letters (apparently last time they asked for £700) and they KNOW that they will get a certain % who will just pay up guilty or not to make it all go away. Like I said when theres !!!!!! involved it can cause a lot of unease and trouble for people possibly. Easy pickings for them. I dont know how they sleep at night.

I just read that the guy behind all this has said hes not earning much from people who buy his DVDs so hes going to make money from people who don't buy them.

Surely in the UK in 2015 it can't be right that someone can send out letters threatening legal action and demanding money when they have little of no proof in any case?
  • onomatopoeia99
    Options
    paulfoel wrote: »
    Apparently they did this a few years ago. Its appalling. It seems all the need to do is supply a list of IP addresses and the court will give up names.
    Norwich Pharamacal order, the mechanism by which a court orders a third party with information about a suspected crime or tort to give up that information. The person / organisation seeking the order would have to present evidence to the court explaining why they need the information, what those they are seeking information about are suspected of and so on.

If on a dynamic IP address the ISP would need to consult their RADIUS logs for the time specified to determine which subscriber had that address allocated at that time. ISPs do know and record this stuff.

Of course the applicant could "make them up" but since that would be perverting the course of justice as they form part of an application to the court, it would be a particularly stupid person that did this for the sake of £700, given the starting point for PCoJ sentencing is generally a year behind bars.

It should absolutely not be illegal for copyright holders to seek recompense from those that violate their rights under the CD&PA. Are you suggesting that we should abolish copyright? That is the logical conclusion of saying it should be illegal for a copyright holder to pursue someone suspected of copyright violation through the courts.

Anyway, have a read about ACS:law, who were the legal firm behind a lot of this a few years ago and responsible for a significant proportion of all complaints to the SRA that year. That should provide a starting point for further reading about how to deal with th e letter you have received.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • paulfoel
    edited 13 November 2015 at 10:49AM
    Options
    Norwich Pharamacal order, the mechanism by which a court orders a third party with information about a suspected crime or tort to give up that information. The person / organisation seeking the order would have to present evidence to the court explaining why they need the information, what those they are seeking information about are suspected of and so on.

If on a dynamic IP address the ISP would need to consult their RADIUS logs for the time specified to determine which subscriber had that address allocated at that time. ISPs do know and record this stuff.

Of course the applicant could "make them up" but since that would be perverting the course of justice as they form part of an application to the court, it would be a particularly stupid person that did this for the sake of £700, given the starting point for PCoJ sentencing is generally a year behind bars.

It should absolutely not be illegal for copyright holders to seek recompense from those that violate their rights under the CD&PA. Are you suggesting that we should abolish copyright? That is the logical conclusion of saying it should be illegal for a copyright holder to pursue someone suspected of copyright violation through the courts.

Anyway, have a read about ACS:law, who were the legal firm behind a lot of this a few years ago and responsible for a significant proportion of all complaints to the SRA that year. That should provide a starting point for further reading about how to deal with th e letter you have received.

Yes, I work in IT so aware of dynamic IP but IMHO:-

1. I don't have complete confidence in the accuracy of what the ISP could provide.
    2. IP address is too easy to fake or spoof. Proves nothing.

As for not making up the IP addresses. Come on - this is hardly a reputable company. And they know most courts would never understand how it all works.

Not saying copyright holders should not have the right to look after their rights. But in this instance, the copyright holder has made a bit of business out of this whole thing.

They KNOW that guilty or not a lot of people will pay up. Especially so when the word !!!!!! is mentioned. People will pay just in case to make it go away.

Its nothing but legalised blackmail.

Yes I've read about ACS. That didnt go too well for them - same company. Sadly, it looks like they think theres mileage in doing it again.

I read somewhere that the fella behind this has said he doesnt make money out of selling !!!!!! but its lucrative getting money out of people who dont buy !!!!!!.
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I hope the copyright holders of the James Bond franchise chase them for copyright infringement!
  • ChiefGrasscutter
    Options
    paulfoel wrote: »
    I haven't I should add.

Apparently, a company called GoldenEye have got a court order to get my name because I've been illegally filesharing.

Well in your post No 7 in the thread below you said you would be using the connection for amongst other things "torrents"
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=64325176

Then there is the small matter of the previous 'letters' sent to you about filesharing and giving you warnings - post No 28
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1673825&page=2
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Torrents and now a 3rd warning letter difficult to prove your innocence .
  • paulfoel
    Options
    You do all know that torrent is just a delivery/download method don't you? There are lots of legal applications thereof.

Also, 2009. I remember now. Nope, innocent then too.
  • Roland_Sausage
    Options
    As someone who works in IT, you should know how to avoid getting caught when you decide to download dodgy material ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure