Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes)

Options

Comments

• darren72
    darren72 Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Anon wrote: »
    Is this a new customer offer or Virgin retention deal as an existing customer, as you mention the BT price rise?

Thanks

Only for new customers. If this is any good for you just PM me and I'll send you the details.
  • Nat5
    Options
    I want to leave VM, as I really need to cut costs, and found a good deal with EE.

I called VM to reduce my phone package in December, and I believe I was mis-sold a package that wasn't suitable, the salesperson made a mistake, didn't give me what I asked for. I was charged for international calls that I was told would be included in my package, (£60 over the last two months).

They offered to refund the call charges, but only if I stayed. They say I'm in contract until December, and the exit fee now will be £240. I tried to argue that since it was mis-sold, I should be let out early, but they would only put me on a more suitable package and I'd have to start a new contract.

Any suggestions?
  • VoucherMan
    VoucherMan Posts: 2,771 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Phoned up to ask if they could offer me an incentive to stay, due to my bill going up from about £18 to £28 in the last 3 months.
    They offered me a new contract fixed at £29 :eek:
    Also a little miffed they they 'lied' about the speed I would get with BT, insisting I wouldn't get more than 4Mbs. even though BT's estimate is 3 to 4 times that.

Now just waiting optimistically for a call & a decent offer.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    darren72 wrote: »
    Only for new customers. If this is any good for you just PM me and I'll send you the details.
    If you earn commission for such referrals, the forum rules forbid you using the personal message system (or any of the discussion boards) for this.

Other users should beware any such "offers" not least because MSE will accept no liability in the event of anything going wrong.
  • den169
    den169 Posts: 278 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Nat5 wrote: »
    I want to leave VM, as I really need to cut costs, and found a good deal with EE.

I called VM to reduce my phone package in December, and I believe I was mis-sold a package that wasn't suitable, the salesperson made a mistake, didn't give me what I asked for. I was charged for international calls that I was told would be included in my package, (£60 over the last two months).

They offered to refund the call charges, but only if I stayed. They say I'm in contract until December, and the exit fee now will be £240. I tried to argue that since it was mis-sold, I should be let out early, but they would only put me on a more suitable package and I'd have to start a new contract.

Any suggestions?
    Wait till they put the price up.I'm sure it won't be long.
  • Nat5
    Options
    Yes, den169, that seems to be the most practical course of action. I'm going to call back and get my call charges refunded, and get on a more suitable package.
  • VoucherMan
    VoucherMan Posts: 2,771 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Managed to catch a call from retentions today. Offered £22.25 a month for 12 months, and a boost to 70Mbps. When the email came through it lists £10 discount for 18 months, so may be even better.
    One year I'll actually hold out to see if they offer an even bigger discount.

Not as good as the BT offer I'd signed up to but I can live with the extra 26p a month, and didn't want a phone line anyway.

Until this time next year.
    :wave:
  • miggiwoo
    miggiwoo Posts: 578 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    miggiwoo wrote: »
    Rang them earlier today to say that I am thinking of joining BT as my £83 per month is getting too much. We have super fibre 60, free weekend calls, XL TV, a Tivo box and a V+ box.
    Had a good look at BT through Nhs discounts and worked it out to between £50 and £55 per month.
    This was for Infinity 1, free evening and weekend calls, Kids TV bolt on, BT sports and BT sport for mobile/tablet.
    I have a couple of Chromecasts so would watch BT sport in kitchen/bedroom etc and wouldn't need another BT box.
    Have been with Virgin for over 20 Years but would genuinely move to BT for that price. I told Virgin team that I also have 4 mobile deals with them and am spending close to £140 a month in all.
    She said best deal could offer was £68 for my same package on a 12 Month contract.
    Said thanks but am still thinking about going to BT.
    Although I haven't cancelled I had an email earlier this evening saying that my " 6 weeks of free Sky Sports " is about to end.
    Funny, but they only gave it to me on 20th of January, as per their email to me.
    I will wait and see if they want to match the price I had worked out from BT.
    I rang them up yesterday evening to give them 30 days notice , and had gone through again what BT could offer me ( around £50 / month for 12 months then up to approx. £67 ) and he did say that we were a long serving customer who hadn't had a review in a long time. After a few back and forths and silences he said the best he could offer was £58 / month for 12 months and the internet speed up to 70 from 60. I stayed silent and he did say that he had to inform me it was a one call offer and I wouldn't be guaranteed to get the same price if I refused it and then called back later. I did think that £58 was nearer the £50 I had worked out form BT and they had given me faster broadband , so I accepted this offer.
    They also said they could knock down my current bill as it hadn't been taken out yet .
    All in all I'm happy with that but I'm sure a lot of MSEr's would have stuck it out nad maybe got a better deal.
    The truth shall set you free.....................
  • knack92
    knack92 Posts: 464 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Could do with a bit of advice. Should have checked this thread before phoning up..

I've agreed to VIP package £97 for 9 months then £120 for 3 months. Target was to get it under £100 which I have succeeded in doing if you factor in line rental saver but having read posts on the last few pages im not so sure this is a good deal.

Any thoughts? Should I call back and say I'd actually like to cancel on the basis others get better offers and wait for outbound retentions call? I could do without sky cinema and could probably downgrade phone but otherwise I wouldn't want to change anything.

Thanks
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 14,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    knack92 wrote: »
    Could do with a bit of advice. Should have checked this thread before phoning up..

I've agreed to VIP package £97 for 9 months then £120 for 3 months. Target was to get it under £100 which I have succeeded in doing if you factor in line rental saver but having read posts on the last few pages im not so sure this is a good deal.

Any thoughts? Should I call back and say I'd actually like to cancel on the basis others get better offers and wait for outbound retentions call? I could do without sky cinema and could probably downgrade phone but otherwise I wouldn't want to change anything.

Thanks

If you are not happy, cancel.

Cancelling is the best way to get the best deal - outbound Retentions can knit be accessed by cancelling. Inbound Retentions do not have access to the best deals.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback