PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

£365 a year challenge

Options

Comments

• purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm not sure how all the vouchers and things work, but yogurts at £1.50 for more sounds like expensive food when you only have £1 per day for food. I make my own yogurt and it's the cost of the milk plus every 2-3 week I start with a fresh small pot for culture. Sometimes less often.

If I make it strained and thick, then I get about half as much, so half litre of yogurt for the price of the milk. It's deliciously mild. I am not contributing to one use plastics very much either.
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
  • ma-ri-ella
    Options
    purpleivy wrote: »
    I'm not sure how all the vouchers and things work, but yogurts at £1.50 for more sounds like expensive food when you only have £1 per day for food. I make my own yogurt and it's the cost of the milk plus every 2-3 week I start with a fresh small pot for culture. Sometimes less often.

If I make it strained and thick, then I get about half as much, so half litre of yogurt for the price of the milk. It's deliciously mild. I am not contributing to one use plastics very much either.

getting £2 cashback on the £1.50 spend makes it profit (just not initially) . I had a yougurt machine in past ,not sure if i stil have .Is there one you recommend ?
    £365 a year spend challenge - this has included food/clothes/beauty?? who knows where I am
    20,000 step a day challenge
  • ma-ri-ella
    Options
    thinking i might try a no spend for the period of lent, There are actually 46 days to lent which allows 6 days break during the period. So i can have 6 emergency days for milk/fruit /veg. Not going to take the yougurt deal up and left my purse at home today aswell. Looking at things i might need over the 40 days but struggling. Milk is more than likely to be needed and possibly fresh fruit/veg. I don't have any cupboard essentials like eggs,herbs/flour/cooking oil . will need to make a new stock list !
    £365 a year spend challenge - this has included food/clothes/beauty?? who knows where I am
  • purpleivy
    Options
    ma-ri-ella wrote: »
    thinking i might try a no spend for the period of lent, There are actually 46 days to lent which allows 6 days break during the period. So i can have 6 emergency days for milk/fruit /veg. Not going to take the yougurt deal up and left my purse at home today aswell. Looking at things i might need over the 40 days but struggling. Milk is more than likely to be needed and possibly fresh fruit/veg. I don't have any cupboard essentials like eggs,herbs/flour/cooking oil . will need to make a new stock list !

I think you might be like me in a way. I always feel I have to have everything on hand, whereas in reality, I only need to get some items in when I actually need them! e.g, if don't use many eggs, but always feel you have to have them in. It's when stuff gets wasted. I use lots of eggs and get fidgety when down to less than a dozen!
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
  • purpleivy
    Options
    People make yogurt in many different ways. When I worked in a boarding school, we used to leave a massive pan of milk in the drying room overnight. With a lid on of course!

I used to use a machine that took a litre in one big container. I tried an Easyjo but got rid of that, packs were expensive and it wasn't that successful.

Now I have an Instant pot which has a setting at the right temperature. People use flasks and all kinds of things to make their yogurt.

It's not the same as purchased yogurt, but the flavour of mine is superior to anything I can get in a shop. Texture is a bit different, but when strained to make greek is the same.
  • ma-ri-ella
    Options
    purpleivy wrote: »
    I think you might be like me in a way. I always feel I have to have everything on hand, whereas in reality, I only need to get some items in when I actually need them! e.g, if don't use many eggs, but always feel you have to have them in. It's when stuff gets wasted. I use lots of eggs and get fidgety when down to less than a dozen!

Its something I'm hoping to address. I think for me i would say as a kid my mum was a single parent so we did struggle quite a bit - sometimes not eating herself so i like to stockpile everthing . I need to get into the habit that i don't do that . Its the needless worry that what if something happens (i went through a job loss last year) - filled up cupboards mean i don't worry about food.

My new aim is to get my stockpile down - i want to move somewhere smaller this year so less things to move with would be great

Strong mantras for the next 46 days (starts wed but don't think i am buying anything tomorrow)

DO I NEED IT/WANT IT. CAN I MAKE DO WITHOUT IT

i have the 6 days to work with which are for veg/fruit/healthy stuff which are preferably yellow stickered.

I don't have takeout/chippys really at all which is amazong since this used to be a big part of diet plus almost daily trips to bakers

I have been including new clothes in this but if i continue with weight loss might need to purchase a separate treat :P

Going to have a rake for possible yogurt maker in the cupboard x:A
  • purpleivy
    Options
    Well, instead of purchasing food with your money and stockpiling the food, why not leave the money in a tin/bank account/purse, then it will be there for whatever you need, whether food, toiletries, emergency repairs or purchases. Then you have the choice about what you spend it on. If you are a person on your own, you can only eat so much before it goes off!

I was chatting to my daughter today and taking stuff off my Ocado order on the grounds that although I didn't have something in, (condensed milk) I didn't need to have it there, even though I have plans to make flapjack in the not too distant future. I don't HAVE to have it in the drawer waiting. I can leave it till another week. Then if plans change I can make something else and I'm not storing the condensed milk. Or I can get the condensed milk on the next order. Hoping for a fortnight or I suppose possibly 10 days. Trying to break the weekly habit!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Ma-ri-ella this time last year I started the Love Food, Hate Waste, thread as I had read online about a lady in one of the Scandinavian countries who, like me, thought about how much food was wasted/stockpiled etc. I decided that instead of being on autopilot when shopping I would cut down.back on my normal shopping and try to make things streetch out a bit longer.

I did this for the whole of Lent asnd made it my challenge.The surplus left over budgetted cash in the weeks that I did it was sent to the Trussell Trust to help the people who struggled to make ends meet .

Since than things have moved on apace, and we are now starting a second thread as the previous one finished .

I have stuck to the experience though and have found that I can usually manage to get most of my shopping for the month with 2-3 visits to the shops .I still have fairly full cupboards but they are slowly becoming less.My main aim at the moment is to reduce tha amount in my freezer and I now have a big of wriggle room in there:)

Listing the stuff you have helps no end, and even to getting next days stuff from the cupboard out and leaving in view ready to eat is good as well.

I menu plan every Sunday morning, so I know how many meals I need to cook that week.This week so far, I was out on Sunday for dinner and last night I used a birthday freebie voucher up for a pub meal so no cooking.

Tonight I am at a pub quiz so I get fed there, so no cooking tonight but I have Wednesday,Thursday, Friday and Saturday when I need to cook in the evening.so only four dinners to make, two of which will be previously batch cooked meals from the freezer (makes a bit more room )

I worked it out at the beginning of the month how many evening meals I had to cook in February and out of 28 days I had only 16 to make :)

Yes I am that organised . But its planning that helps, and by staying away from the shops, and using what you have it is an incentive to helping you streetch your cash out

JackieO xx
  • donnajt
    donnajt Posts: 1,085 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    dr oetker ristorante uk facebook page is giving away pizzas (I think its 1000 a day at different times) - if that helps?
  • ma-ri-ella
    Options
    got the voucher :P will do a trip to Tesco later to use

Will take a look at the thread - I don't normally have that much waste tbh although i do have some small bits i don't know what to cook with

walked right past the reduced section at work eventhough there was cheese reduced to 20p!! fighting urge to go back in to stockpile.... i do not need i do not need.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport