sarahevie's single quest to mortgage freedom

Options

Comments

• sarahevie1
    sarahevie1 Posts: 630 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    2 weeks and we will be in Spain, yay:j

Had a pretty cheap weekend. Due to spending £80 last week on food, I brought this weeks in at £20, pretty pleased with that. I'm never going to be able to keep my food budget really cheap as the kids eat a lot of fruit, cheese, yoghurts and I like to have a few luxury items as we never get takeaways and rarely eat out.

Have only spent £5 (on a gift) all weekend, so that is much better as well.

Almost forgot had to get DD1 a pair of dance shoes £20, but her last pair have lasted 16 months so can't complain.
    HOME
    Original mortgage free date Nov 2037
    Mortgage free August 2018

Additional properties
    Mortgage 1 £108,000
    Mortgage 2 £45,000
    Teacher pension - DB scheme
    LGPS pension - DB scheme
  • sarahevie1
    sarahevie1 Posts: 630 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 14 October 2016 at 9:32PM
    Options
    Cheap week, have managed on £5 all week in my purse, but did spend £6 in the earlier whilst waiting for DD2 to finish rainbows. Treated other girls to an icecream, drink.

Work is getting me down a bit, at the moment, feel like I'm being shafted from all angles. 6 working days until holiday.

Ex is all over me like a rash at the moment which is unnerving, not literally, but he won't leave me alone. Forever texting me, coming round til 11pm every night and then going home. The other night I told him it made me feel really uncomfortable but then I felt mean saying it. Haven't heard from him at all today which has been nice. I'm not sure of his agenda, and I'm at the point where I want my own life.

I had a lightbulb moment over the summer, when I said to him, do you ever see us living together as a couple, he said no, so I basically said well leave me alone then. Ever since I can't get rid of him.

On the plus side I realised yesterday that my mortgages are now only 6X income and I have £325000 of equity. :)
    HOME

Additional properties
    Mortgage 1 £108,000
    Mortgage 2 £45,000
    LGPS pension - DB scheme
  • A_Frayed_Knot
    Options
    Good for you re, ex - telling him to leave you alone. And equity - wow :T

Think some ground rules are needed regarding ex, especially if you are at the point where you want to move on and lead your own life.
    Always have 00.00 at the end of your mortgage and one day it will all be 0's :dance:
    MF[STRIKE] March 2030[/STRIKE] Yes that does say 2030 :eek: Mortgage Free 21.12.18 _party_
    Now a Part Timer from 27.10.19
  • sarahevie1
    Options
    sarahevie1 wrote: »

On the plus side I realised yesterday that my mortgages are now only 6X income and I have £325000 of equity. :)

I don't routinely check how much equity I have, nor how many times my mortgage is vs income, but it came up on another forum about having 10X life insurance cover and it got me thinking.
    HOME

Additional properties
    Mortgage 1 £108,000
    Mortgage 2 £45,000
    LGPS pension - DB scheme
  • sarahevie1
    Options
    Expensive time of year. Car bills insurance, tax, MOT all due beginning of Nov.

Heading off for sunnier climes tomorrow though, going for a week in the sun as its half term yay!

From the 3rd of Dec I can start OPs again, as I've maxed my 10% allowance for this year. This isn't because I'm doing overly well, just that I've got a small mortgage so 10% isn't a great deal, £5600. Will be £5000 next year. Also Natwest made me put my term back up to 25 years as a single applicant so my standard payments are only £230.
    HOME

Additional properties
    Mortgage 1 £108,000
    Mortgage 2 £45,000
    LGPS pension - DB scheme
  • sarahevie1
    Options
    Saved £120 on my car insurance renewal by going through compare the market. Cost £295, plus £130 for 12 months road tax so spendy day.

Didn't need much for the hols bought my eldest two daughters a fleece and a zip up top each for wearing on an evening on holiday, will also hopefully come in for autumn/winter, they have cardigans which aren't quite warm enough and jumpers which can be too wintry. They were cheap one of the fleeces had 90% off and cost £4.25, the other one was £6.99 both mountain warehouse. The zip up tops were George £4.50 each.

Spent £32 in the supermarket on hol toiletries, two beach towels, snacks for the journey tomorrow, and sun tan lotion nivea kids factor 50 reduced from £8 a bottle to £3 a bottle, ended up buying four.
    HOME

Additional properties
    Mortgage 1 £108,000
    Mortgage 2 £45,000
    LGPS pension - DB scheme
  • debtfreeoneday
    Options
    have a great holiday x
    DFW (08/08) £64,346.53 Gone (02/19)
    MFW (08/08) £118k Gone (09/23)
  • Moneyfordreams
    Options
    Hope you have a lovely holiday :)
    Mortgage restart June 2018 £119950Re mortgage August 19 £110470, … Mortgage November 22 £85600 final 0% CC 3300Home renovations - £65000, mid 2018 - mid 2022
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,292 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Happy holidays :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Have a lovely holiday with your girls.
    Apr 2024 - part 1 - £30,337 part 2 - £24,811 Total - £55,148 43 months to go!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback