Regular Savings Accounts: The Best Currently Available List!

Options

Comments

• Special_Saver2
    Special_Saver2 Posts: 1,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi Folks,

I have completed this weekend's update for the first page of this thread.

I have removed the Dudley BS One Year Regular Saver (Issue 3) which has been withdrawn and the issue 4 interest rate is too low to qualify for inclusion on this thread. I have checked the other Dudley BS account listed on the first page (3.5% Junior Easy Saver) and this is unchanged.

I will do another update next weekend.

SS2

For those new to this thread, the first few posts are constantly updated and are here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...=608697&page=1
  • Special_Saver2
    Special_Saver2 Posts: 1,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi Everybody,

I have completed this weekend's update for the first page of this thread.

There is nothing that I can find that has changed.

I will do another update next weekend.

SS2

For those new to this thread, the first few posts are constantly updated and are here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...=608697&page=1
  • Jibeddy
    Jibeddy Posts: 86 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi my first post (I have been lurking for a while though).

I'm fairly young and am just starting with my saving. I've opened a TSB Classic Plus but have nearly reached the £2000 'limit'. I'm considering opening the linked regular savers account however I have one question in the back of my mind; once an account has matured, and I no longer want the measly interest, can I simply close the account and move the money elsewhere? And if so, does this affect my credit rating?
  • ctdctd
    ctdctd Posts: 1,080 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 27 June 2016 at 5:42AM
    Options
    Jibeddy wrote: »
    I've opened a TSB Classic Plus but have nearly reached the £2000 'limit'. I'm considering opening the linked regular savers account however I have one question in the back of my mind; once an account has matured, and I no longer want the measly interest, can I simply close the account and move the money elsewhere? And if so, does this affect my credit rating?

Yes, you can move your money at anytime during the 1 year savings period or after it has ended instantly and without penalty.
    No, a credit search won't be done to open a savings account.

If you want to open one, I'd do it today as there are strong rumours that the interest rate on the account will be greatly reduced this week.

Edit:- This is the thread talking about the possible rate drop - possibly as early as today. I'd open now while the TSB web site is still showing 5% to be safe!
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5475673&highlight=tsb+monthly+saver
    Do Money Saving sites make you buy more bargains - and spend more money?
  • AlwaysLearnin
    Options
    Hi SS2. Just to point out, Halifax Kids RS now down to 4%

http://www.halifax.co.uk/savings/accounts/kids/kids-regular-saver/
  • Jibeddy
    Jibeddy Posts: 86 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Much appreciated! I've opened one now.

Just one thing left on my mind, can I just close the account when my year of 5% is up and I'm done with it?
  • ctdctd
    ctdctd Posts: 1,080 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Jibeddy wrote: »
    Much appreciated! I've opened one now.

Just one thing left on my mind, can I just close the account when my year of 5% is up and I'm done with it?

After the year is up, the TSB Monthly Saver becomes an instant access Easy Access saver at a much lower interest rate. You can keep it or close it as you wish. If the Monthly Saver is still available in a years time, you can open another one if you like and start again.

HTH
    Do Money Saving sites make you buy more bargains - and spend more money?
  • schiff
    schiff Posts: 20,101 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    An amendment to the wonderful first post summary:

The requirement to pay in £750 to the Tesco Bank current account every month finished about September last year.
  • schiff
    schiff Posts: 20,101 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Having to open the Santander Regular Saver in the branch or on the phone is absurd, especially for Select customers. I spent 40 horrendous minutes on the phone doing just that, enduring searching ID questions at a level I've never encountered before and having all the T&Cs, protection level, etc read out to me. The staff of course have no choice but to do it.

I complained - afterwards - got a discretionary reward in my account (!) and a comment that they are looking into it with the possibility that it's something you can do online in future.
  • Chaykin
    Chaykin Posts: 87 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    TSB Monthly Saver down from 5% to 2% - http://www.tsb.co.uk/savings/monthly-saver/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure