Has Marks and Spencer refused you a refund? Post details here.

Options
M&S make a big thing about their returns policy but it seems thay are not always honouring it nowadays.

I have heard of several instances recently where people have been refused refunds/credit vouchers specifically because they don't have the receipt or a "gift" receipt. This has been for items which have not been worn and are not excluded like food or toiletries for hygiene reasons. Apparently they say they are withdrawing the right to a refund in the individual case to get around Trading Standards complaints, although "statutory" rights remain.

If this has happened to you (or happens with a Christmas gift return), please post details here, with a brief description of item, purchase price if known and the store where the return was refused. Please only post cases where they totally refuse a refund and they say the lack of a receipt is the reason for refusal.

It's important to know whether this is becoming widespread. They need to either adhere to their advertised policy or alter the wording of that advertised policy.

Maybe this could be made a "sticky" till we see if it is a real problem nationally or just a few cases?

Comments

• kforshaw
    Options
    AFAIK you are not entitled to a refund with or without a receipt unless they are faulty.
    Granted, M&S have always pretty much been in the forefront with their exceptional returns policy, but perhaps they realised it was being abused.
    In fact the more I think, they don't have to offer a credit note (or similar) if you have just changed you mind on something.

However, most places will generally do this if you have proof of purchase.

Karen

PS Just checked now and the above is correct.
    http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/after_you_buy/know-your-rights/clothes/
    2 Tickets to Blackrock Masters Tennis:j
  • devild_2
    devild_2 Posts: 509 Forumite
    Options
    Too many people abused this. No wonder they are cracking down. How would you have heard of several instances unless unless you and your friends have been guilty of this.
    A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

A young loner on a crusade to champion the cause of the innocent,
    the helpless, the powerless, in a world of criminals who operate above the law.
  • smittenkitten
    Options
    hi bcl

I have recently taken back some baby grows to marks without the receipt and they gave me a credit note no problem - basically I had 5 (yes 5) of the same set of baby grows given to me so I took 3 sets back and explained, they could see they had not been worn (no baby sick or poo, always the tell tell sign!) and gave me credit on one of the cards, very polite.

And whilst they are not a charity and yes people do abuse these systems as they do many other systems Marks and Spencers as far as Im aware wants to provide a better customer service experience by allowing these types of transactions to be carried out, I have not heard that this has changed.

If it does changed then I bet other shops (like next bhs) will do the same
  • lawsofnature
    Options
    M & S have really tightened their policy on refunds. I took an internet order back to the store with a printed out copy of my email invoice/receipt and was refused a refund because the invoice was printed (not the original). I shop there a lot so didn't mind the credit note.

The system was changed to stop people taking goods back 12 months down the line and demanding a refund. You must have a receipt, and it must be within 90 days of your purchase to get a refund. There policy is still more generous than most stores. I say if you don't have your receipt - tough luck.
  • SharkyGeorge
    Options
    If you don't have a receipt and have paid by card then surely a bank statement from your credit/debit card would count as proof of purchase?

And stiffnuts69 - it really is unncessary to be so rude.
  • lilac_lady
    lilac_lady Posts: 4,469 Forumite
    Options
    I'm surprised M & S have taken so long to tighten up their refund procedures. Some people have abused the sytem too often and have forget that it's a goodwill gesture to exchange/refund if the goods aren't faulty.
    " The greatest wealth is to live content with little."

Plato

• dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    If you don't have a receipt and have paid by card then surely a bank statement from your credit/debit card would count as proof of purchase?

And stiffnuts69 - it really is unncessary to be so rude.

A bank statement only proves that you have shopped in the store and spent a certain amount, not that you purchased the item in question at that time.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What makes the OP think their policy is to accept goods back without the receipt? Where is it their advertised policy?

Has the OP considered there is nothing to stop someone walking into their shop,picking up an item and taking it to the till,saying they bought it last week?Should they really be expected to give that person a refund?
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    lilac_lady wrote: »
    I'm surprised M & S have taken so long to tighten up their refund procedures. Some people have abused the sytem too often and have forget that it's a goodwill gesture to exchange/refund if the goods aren't faulty.

When I was at school I worked at Boots. Someone wanted to return some nail scissors. They were still in their packaging (though this was a little ragged around the edges). However, the packaging in question had not been marketed for at least FIVE YEARS! The customer spoke very little English (though she seemed to know the word 'refund'), and in the end we did refund her the £3(ish) that the current stock was selling at.

It still makes me question why someone would want to bring something back after such a length of time, and where the item had been in the intervening period!
    Gone ... or have I?
  • The_Old_Bag
    The_Old_Bag Posts: 4,706 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have had 2 instances this year where I have tried to return clothing without receipts, unworn, still with all tags and labels etc, only to be told the item was now in the sale, and was at a lower price - so if you find the original receipt we will give you back the full price you paid.
    Couldn't find the receipt, so thought would just have to accept the lower price - but by now item had gone down yet again to just a few pounds. :eek:

Miraculously I did eventually find my receipt which proved I had been completley honest and truthful all along, and the price on the item was what I had paid, but by now it had gone past the 90 days, so despite having proof of what I had paid, they refused me a refund completely:mad:

Both items were purchased using my m&s card, so I cannot see why they are unable to use their records.
    I know there is always abuse, and I know they are more generous than they legally have to be, but they have certainly lost out on money from me this year. I have to watch the pennies anyway - and now have 2 items hanging in my wardrobe which cost nearly £100, but are worthless.
    Previously I would think nothing of buying several items to try on at home to make sure they went with shoes/tops etc I already had. I knew I could easily return items I didn't want.
    This attitude is now a thing of the past. I have learnt an expensive lesson - and as a result I buy very little in M&S anymore.
    My new years resolution is to investigate selling on ebay instead of just buying.:cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure