Not allowed Sky Broadband

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    lee111s wrote: »
    Super informative, as ever. :money:

Actually it was an abusive post aimed at you but since I'm not a child I rethought it :rotfl:
  • lee111s
    lee111s Posts: 2,988 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    That fact you considered an abusive post simply because you were shown to be wrong says it all.
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,111 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 3 September 2017 at 10:59AM
    Options
    In some exchanges BT ( and other sellers of BT Wholesale services) can only offer ADSL MAX up to 8mbps if there's no BT Wholesale 21CN equipment in the exchange. Sky/TalkTalk may well have ADSL2+ LLU kit installed in said exchange, thus being able to offer considerably higher speeds.

Although theoretically true, the chances are that any exchange not considered 'worthy' of 21CN connectivity by 'BT' would also be considered 'unworthy' of an OLO investing in unbundling that particular exchange, that's why I specifically said if comparing like for like, upto 8, upto 24, etc.
    I do conceed that years ago , 'BT' were probably in a position where they were offering ADSL in places where others were offering ADSL2, but that's pretty much no longer the case, and hasn't been the case for a long time .

The poster I was taking aim at was suggesting that for example , Sky offering ADSL2+ is going to be 'much faster' than an equivalent 'BT' ADSL2+ service.

If there is a location where 'BT' can only offer upto 8Mb (ADSL) and another OLO can offer ADSL2+, then obviously the OLO could potentially offer much faster speed over the same 'local loop' , but that's not comparing like for like, and I would think would be a tiny percentage of exchanges, if any at all.

I suppose if there is a location where an OLO can offer upto 24Mb and BT only 8Mb, you could argue that particular OLO is upto 3 times faster, hopefully those that would argue that, would also accept that in the many more exchanges where OLO's offer no service at all , that those OLOs are infinitely slower than BT
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    That fact you considered an abusive post simply because you were shown to be wrong says it all.

And the fact that you had to be abusive rather than just pointing out I was wrong says a lot about you too then by your logic?

:laugh:
  • lee111s
    Options
    At no point was I abusive. If I'd intended to be, you'd know about it.
  • Sparx
    Sparx Posts: 909 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 3 September 2017 at 4:17PM
    Options
    Back on track guys - so the issue is simply down to it's a new build. So either 1 of 2 (or both) things need to happen.

#1 Royal Mail need to update their database with your address, OP use this link to report it:
    http://www.royalmail.com/personal/receiving-mail/update-your-address

#2 Openreach haven't yet laid or connected up the copper to your house yet for the phone line and broadband. So you're not on their system if the Wholesale checker isn't matching your address to a line yet.

Once the above 2 issues are rectified, any ISP (Sky, BT, Plusnet etc) will be able to place an order to your home. Likely for FTTC (fibre) too judging by what Lee has mentioned so hopefully get better speeds than ADSL.

OP, on point #2 I would ask your building developer or site manager if Openreach have already laid and connected the phone lines to the houses you're moving into. If not, ask when this is in the works to be done by?

Speaking from experience I moved in my new build mid 2014 on the Friday. We didn't get the lines installed by Openreach's contractor until the Monday after. Then my internet started working magically, as Sky had already 'activated' my line at the cab so to speak on the Friday we moved in when I had the engineers come in, to realise the copper hadn't even been laid to the cab yet fully!
  • Matt_L
    Matt_L Posts: 1,459 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Thanks Sparx, I've now checked on the Royalmail site and the address is now there which is strange as it wasn't yesterday. However it isn't coming up on the Openreach link, we shall speak to the site manager tomorrow...
    "I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like his passengers."
  • Sparx
    Options
    On another note, I'm not sure why Sky aren't escalating the order to Openreach themselves? I started off with Sky and when they found out the order couldn't be fulfilled, they passed it to Openreach who then got the contractors out sooner rather than later. Hence the following Monday they were out and me (alongside 6 other neighbours) were up and running.
  • lee111s
    Options
    They can't be bothered I guess.

Openreach update the PAF (postcode address file) daily as far as I know so your address should update on the Openreach site soon.
  • Sparx
    Options
    OP how did you get on? Curious.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts