Sky and loyalty

Options
I saw this in The Guardian on line:

Sky is also launching a loyalty programme to “reward and recognise members” based on how long they have been a customer as part of its strategy to stem customer churn.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/jan/26/sky-tv-without-dish-premier-league-rights-costs

Having been first with BSB in 1990 and then transferred to Sky following the merger, I have been a customer for 27 year years. I have always seen new customers rewarded rather than existing customers.

Sky seems to be surprised that it is losing customers as new competitors come on board. It will be interesting to see what Sky understands by the words "reward" and "recognise".
I have osteoarthritis in my hands so I speak my messages into a microphone using Dragon. Some people make "typos" but I often make "speakos".

Comments

• teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I saw this in The Guardian on line:

Sky is also launching a loyalty programme to “reward and recognise members” based on how long they have been a customer as part of its strategy to stem customer churn.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/jan/26/sky-tv-without-dish-premier-league-rights-costs

Having been first with BSB in 1990 and then transferred to Sky following the merger, I have been a customer for 27 year years. I have always seen new customers rewarded rather than existing customers.

Sky seems to be surprised that it is losing customers as new competitors come on board. It will be interesting to see what Sky understands by the words "reward" and "recognise".
    You've been a customer for all that time and have not haggled ????

I doubt any loyalty deal will beat that offered to keep people who are about to or have left. eg 75% off plus £100 credit.
  • stockton_2
    Options
    Sky's dominance in the market has diminished. BT began the trend by taking the Champions League football away from them. The game has changed and Sky have to adjust to the new conditions and make themselves more competitive and attractive to the customer.

I am only interested in the Sky Sports channels but to get them I have to take the Original Package as well. I have no use for it. I can get a mass of free to air channels without a subscription. I also have Amazon prime and the YouTube channel on there gives me all the documentaries I could wish for

A couple of weeks ago, when my current cut-price offer ended and they upped my sub to £50 a month, I contacted Sky and cancelled my subscription.

I expect them to contact me soon with another generous offer; but I will not think Sky are doing me a massive favour. I just want Sky sports1 and the Sky plus box for recording. The rest is superfluous. What I will pay them is what I think they deserve.
  • Sterlingtimes
    Options
    teddysmum wrote: »
    You've been a customer for all that time and have not haggled ????

I doubt any loyalty deal will beat that offered to keep people who are about to or have left. eg 75% off plus £100 credit.

Yes, I have negotiated, but negotiation is an annual affair rather than a sustained discount. Sky is able to colour matters by amending packages regularly. A flat loyalty discount on the published prices for NEW customers would improve relationships no end.
    I have osteoarthritis in my hands so I speak my messages into a microphone using Dragon. Some people make "typos" but I often make "speakos".
  • Linnty
    Options
    Just phoned as they have increased the prices again. Had old Sky+ box since 2004 and can no longer get Sky box office (now Sky store) on the set and Sky anytime reduced dramatically in last couple of months. Am disabled and have voice issues under stress so its taken a bit to get to the point of haggling but £50/month was getting a bit much.

With hubby's support in case needed, have successfully haggled 20% discount for next 10 months plus free HD box with free installation. I shall see how things go once the 12 month contract is up in regard to rehaggling. Have Sky protect ins and will be cancelling that so another £10/month saved as free warranty etc for a year on new box.:j:j
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 3 February 2017 at 2:58PM
    Options
    Linnty wrote: »
    Just phoned as they have increased the prices again. Had old Sky+ box since 2004 and can no longer get Sky box office (now Sky store) on the set and Sky anytime reduced dramatically in last couple of months. Am disabled and have voice issues under stress so its taken a bit to get to the point of haggling but £50/month was getting a bit much.

With hubby's support in case needed, have successfully haggled 20% discount for next 10 months plus free HD box with free installation. I shall see how things go once the 12 month contract is up in regard to rehaggling. Have Sky protect ins and will be cancelling that so another £10/month saved as free warranty etc for a year on new box.:j:j
    That's not enough and don't accept a 10 month offer. As advised many times, it's best to let the service be switched off.

Regarding loyalty bonuses: I think a small loyalty bonus will result in a cut in the annual haggling offers, so over all, a loss.
  • Linnty
    Options
    It will do for now - can't do haggling at all well, so this is good for me. Will probably be upgrading tv in the year and when we do, may well opt for Amazon firestick or other type depending on what my son (techy whiz) recommends
  • dazzaofdagenham
    Options

If you out of contract then that is a dismal offer....minimal you should aim for is 50% and account credit.

Cancel what you've got and place a cancel on your account. Then see the offers coming in
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    If you're not good at haggling, or if your disability causes you issues when doing it, then just call Sky and give authority for either your husband or son to deal with your account.

I believe they can't put in a cancellation request as that has to be the named account holder, but if you call up to cancel then they can take it from there.
  • mwbrown
    mwbrown Posts: 146 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sky have always been the same - I wonder how many customers just pay what sky ask for without ringing/livechatting them and trying to get a deal - I have done it since being a sky customer and don't think I have ever paid full price for sky (apart from the first year!), I have usually negotiated a minimum 30% discount (before I cancelled I negotiated a 50% off for 12 months for sky bundle with cinema and multiroom (with no contract period - hence cancelling less than a month later when the discovery issue came to light - running alongside our half price fibre broadband and a couple of quid a month discount on the line rental!).

I even had a phone call from Sky today less than a week since I gave my 31 days notice asking if I would consider staying and that they could offer me a good deal (wouldn't state what the deal would be, but I declined as im happy with the virginmedia deal I managed to get!).

Logged into my sky account and surprise surprise theres a 50% off for 10 months deal (but tied into a new 12 month contract!).
  • mwbrown
    mwbrown Posts: 146 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It will do for now - can't do haggling at all well, so this is good for me. Will probably be upgrading tv in the year and when we do, may well opt for Amazon firestick or other type depending on what my son (techy whiz) recommends

I never phone to haggle with sky, always haggled via live chat and always got a good deal (normally 12 months discount, tied into a new 12 month contract, but depending on the advisor I have spoken to I can sometimes get 12 months discounted by 40%/50% off without many issues - sometimes had to cancel then contact them a couple of days later and they usually offer a better deal than when trying to negotiate a deal whilst in contract!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure