PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cheapest meal

Options

Comments

• Mrs_Thrift
    Mrs_Thrift Posts: 387 Forumite
    Options
    My favourite emergency very cheap meal is two jacket potatoes, one tin of smart price beans and one tub of smart price coleslaw, bit of grated cheese. Looking at it on the plate it looks tiny, but it is more than enough to fill up two very hungry people.
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    tiff wrote:
    Mmm that reminds me, the best liver and onions I ever had was in Turkey. Delicious, what is the best way to cook it though, fry it all together?
    Don't cook it too long, I would do the onions til they are soft then add the liver, if you cook it too long it will be dry and hard.
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • Lillibet_2
    Lillibet_2 Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ms_Thrift wrote:
    My favourite emergency very cheap meal is two jacket potatoes, one tin of smart price beans and one tub of smart price coleslaw, bit of grated cheese. Looking at it on the plate it looks tiny, but it is more than enough to fill up two very hungry people.

Blimey, you're generous! In our house its beans OR cheese OR coleslaw! But I do use quite big potatoes.
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth:p

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks:mad: Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    How about large home made yorkshire puddings filled with veg and gravy?

Or a stewpack of veg for £1 - cooked in slow cooker with can tomatoes and curry powder - this can be eaten on its own or with pitta bread, rice etc.:):):)
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,865 Senior Ambassador
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Sarahsaver wrote:
    Where are these bits if mould then I have never found any!

I said they cut the mould off and threw the rest of cheese in with value batches,
    they are supposed to throw whole lot away,

but actually buying more expensive cheese needn't be dearer, I always buy extra mature cheese and use less of it,
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • HOLsale
    HOLsale Posts: 1,231 Forumite
    Options
    debbym wrote:
    ASDA do bacon pieces too... ;)

lidl do bacon mishapes for £1.18/kg pack. they quite often have full rashers in them and also frequently have smoked bacon. our store runs out fast so i normally buy one for the fridge and one for the freezer when they have them in stock mmmmm
    founder of Frugal Genius UK (Yahoo Groups)
  • HOLsale
    Options
    Luis wrote:
    aargh, aargh - more of these please - huge cash crisis this month, and need ideas to feed us cheap.

a tasty side dish is use value spaghetti, when it's cooked mix in some butter and sprinkle with grated cheese from the canister and some garlic granules from lidl you can add tuna if you like. have some inexpensive veg on the side and you've got a nice meal! i use the store version of the wholewheat pasta myself but i'm willing to pay more as if i eat refined 'white' products my blood sugar gets all wonky on me

you could dress this up a bit by adding in sauteed mushrooms and onions but to be honest this is a simple pleasure and it tastes sooooooo good all on it's own :o
  • HOLsale
    Options
    tiff wrote:
    Great, I've only just started buying value cheese, the full flavoured one in Tesco tastes fine but now thats put me right off. Lidl do one for a similar price and its not "value" as such, I wonder if that one is ok?

you'd probably be ok with the cheese from lidl. i have several german friends that have told me that lidl is a big supermarket over there and most of the items they sell here are every day brand names in germany!
  • HOLsale
    Options
    moggins wrote:
    I make Sweet and Sour Liver and onions, fry the liver and the onions, add 1 tablespoon brown sugar and one tablespoon balsamic vinegar, carry on frying until sugar is dissolved, pour in one can chopped tomatoes and simmer for 10 minutes. Serve with rice or pasta.

does that remove the icky iron/blood taste? is it true that soaking liver in milk gets rid of the strong taste?

i loved liver and onions as a kid but can't handle how strong the blood taste is now, though i still enjoy onions fried with the liver. i will eat chicken livers and onion as they aren't as strong but i want my family to eat more organ meat as it is so good for you, and inexpensive too!
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,164 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    glad wrote:
    hubby used to work in a cheese factory that supplied all the main supermarkets and will never let me buy value cheese, he says that at end of each shift they would use all leftovers and scrapings from machinery and make up the value packs from it, if any cheese had gone mouldy they would cut the mould out and throw the rest in with the value stuff too
    Many years ago when BHS had a food hall i worked there as a Saturday girl on the cheese counter. The ends of cheese when we cut it and the rind we cut off if it was drying out went into a big plastic bucket underneath. This was then taken downstairs where they grated it with a big machine, befiore fetching it up to be sold as grated cheese. To this day it puts me off buying pre-packed grated cheese.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure