PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for winter IV

Options

Comments

• bossymoo
    bossymoo Posts: 6,924 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Definitely get the chimney swept, you don't want a fire up there! You can also get balloons to fill the void whilst a fire isn't lit, to stop draughts.

I've been lining curtains, putting foil behind radiators that are on external walls, putting quilts under the bottom sheet, and using thermal vests (especially for the kiddies). Rugs on hard floors and wearing socks and slippers really works too. and keeping the internal doors closed.

We have leather sofas which can feel cold, so I cover them in throws. They move about a lot, but I try tuck them into the gaps under the arms etc.
    Bossymoo

Away with the fairies :beer:
  • mineallmine
    mineallmine Posts: 3,053 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well this cold snap has been a good test run. Food stocks sort of ok. Knowing where gloves/scarves, ok. Knowing where my thermals are, nope. Honestly. :o

Must try and open the windows here a bit today as some condensation on windows.

Found yesterday that the back door mat had disintegrated onto the wooden flooring! Think the sun must have got to it. So need to source a washable mat without plasticy backing. Any recomendations welcomed :A
    :) Declutter 300 things in December challenge, 9/300. Clear the living room. Re-organize storage
    :cool2: Cherryprint: "More stuff = more stuff to tidy up!"
    Less things. Less stuff. More life.
    :heart: Fab thread: Long daily walks
  • singlestep
    Options
    Colder weather prompted me to do some shopping for family members going through some tough times. I bought them a few sets of thermals from Pr*m*rk and was pleased to see that they were doing the 2.3 tog socks for £4 (men's sizes) and £3.50 (women's). Even if they don't use them now, I'm sure they will come in handy at some point! they had emergency battery things for phones - does anyone know if they're any good?

I got a couple of fleecy throws and PJ sets too.

I'm in the middle of clearing out my work bag and ensuring that it's stocked up.
    - medication: new inhaler, cold remedies, other prescription stuff - enough for a couple of days.
    - ladies' products
    - spare pair of magic gloves, headscarf and thermal socks
    - keyring-sized torch clipped on the the front
    - tea, coffee and instant soup sachets to fend off cold at work
    - room to put snow/ice grips.

Bearing in mind I need space to bring work back and forth, I keep another bag on standby at home when I know there's a good chance of snow or other disruptive weather. It used to live at work over winter, but I now have nowhere to store it.
    - jogging bottoms and a secret support top that don't look too much like PJs.
    - fleecy socks and ballet pump slippers
    - travel sizes of essential skincare, toothpaste and brush, shower gel and deodorant.

How horrible are the weather reports from the US? I hope that Kathy and anyone else who posts here is ok.
  • 2tonsils
    2tonsils Posts: 915 Forumite
    Options
    We have still got the hot weather and storms here, we still have about five more days of them to go. Had some trees blown down into the road when I drove home and it was still 24 degrees at 1am.

Hoped for my wood to be delivered today but its a big public memorial day here so it may be Tuesday before it comes.

Hope the people in America are safe, they are saying it will go ashore in New Jersey but I think it will be further north than that. Hope it burns out over the states as it could bring very bad weather to the UK if it makes it across the Atlantic as a burned out storm system in about ten days time.
    “The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come. When in a state of security he does not forget the possibility of ruin.” Confucius (551 BC - 479 BC):A
  • MarilynMonroe_2
    Options
    ignore the troll.

We had hailstone the other night, quite big ones too! Also some snow but didnt land, but its been freezing today and I had to have the fire on as well as the radiator, so going to stock up the meter over the next few weeks out of my savings in my sig.
    1,2 & 5p: Christmas day food £9.31
    10 & 20p: misc savings £2.70
    50p: Christmas presents £3.50
    £2: holidays £2.00
  • Fruball
    Fruball Posts: 5,739 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ignore the troll.

We had hailstone the other night, quite big ones too! Also some snow but didnt land, but its been freezing today and I had to have the fire on as well as the radiator, so going to stock up the meter over the next few weeks out of my savings in my sig.

Troll? What troll? Trolls like spam so i like to feed them via the spam button - once enough people feed the troll spam, they leave :)
  • MarilynMonroe_2
    Options
    Fruball wrote: »
    Troll? What troll? Trolls like spam so i like to feed them via the spam button - once enough people feed the troll spam, they leave :)
    martinsmythe ;)
  • singlestep
    Options
    ignore the troll

Yeah. There was no point in paying attention to him.

Batteries! Most of my stuff requiring batteries seems to have required replacing at once - something else to add to the list.

Mum asked me to make particular type of soup (a chicken broth, my gran's specialty, and I'm the only one who can ever be bothered making it the way she did) for Christmas. If I made it next weekend, it'd keep in the freezer, wouldn't it? Nearer the time I'd never be able to find the time or the inclination.
  • Fruball
    Fruball Posts: 5,739 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Looks like the troll is full of spam and wandered off elsewhere :)

I do love the spam button :D
  • MarilynMonroe_2
    Options
    I'm still having a giggle, I have been likened to Dougal off father ted!

Anyhoo do you think a 10.5 tog quilt OVER 2 others (1+1=winter)would be too hot? so 10.5tog plus maybe a 15) - 25 tog total??

I've realised why I am getting cold, I have to keep my bedroom door open to hear dear daughter and therefore getting all the stair coldness.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business