PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

basic bread recipe in breadmaker! help!!!

Options

Comments

• SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The supermarkets will often give you yeast for free, not sure though this is suitable for using in a breadmaker but you could make a handmade loaf.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • tuttifruiti20
    Options
    Try looking for a local mill where you can buy your flour by the sack instead of just in 1kg bags. It does bring it in quite a lot cheaper I've found.

Also try doves farm yeast - orange pack (tesco sells it) about 99p and will keep you going for months!
  • lizzyb1812
    lizzyb1812 Posts: 1,392 Forumite
    Options
    The basic Panasonic white 500g loaf works out to 38p including leccy for me.

Instruction manual here: http://tda.panasonic-europe-service.com/docs/2z4e678acaz3z1ea7cz656ez706466z32z283b4e02a94a914c4a151218c61e6d0ed73da6da/ttips/Home_Appliances/Bread_Makers/SD/253/725564/B253.pdf

Basic recipe on page 25 - I substitute veg oil for butter and I know some people leave out the milk powder, which is about 7p of the cost.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain." ~ Vivian Greene
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,290 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    lizzyb1812 wrote: »
    The basic Panasonic white 500g loaf works out to 38p including leccy for me.

Basic recipe on page 25 - I substitute veg oil for butter and I know some people leave out the milk powder, which is about 7p of the cost.

I omit the milk powder, can't say I notice any difference. I have also used a splodge of liquid milk in the water quantity, again I never noticed any difference to leaving milk out
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Flibsey
    Flibsey Posts: 579 Forumite
    Options
    SailorSam wrote: »
    The supermarkets will often give you yeast for free, not sure though this is suitable for using in a breadmaker but you could make a handmade loaf.

seriously? which ones?
  • adelight
    adelight Posts: 2,658 Forumite
    Options
    Look out for the flour on BB4L and approvedfood as you can get a serious bargain if you're quick (subscribe to emails or check regularly as it sells out fast).
    Living cheap in central London :rotfl:
  • JayJay14
    JayJay14 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    Options
    I get mine from Asda - just ask at the bakery. I use it in the breadmaker, I mix the yeast in the liquid and add the dry ingredients on top. Not suitable for use with the timer though.
  • raven83
    raven83 Posts: 3,021 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    i make homemade bread all the time! use 500g of strong while flour, (or somtimes i use half white flour and half wholemeal) 7g of easy bake yeast, tsp of sugar and 2 tsp of salt, 400ml of hand hot water and 2 and 2 tbsp olive oil. add all the dry ingridients and mix well and make a well into the middle of it, then mix the olive oil to the water and pour into the well, blend together with hand then turn out on a floured surface and knead till nice texture. when finished put in a bowl covered with a tea towel in a warm place ( i usually leave mine on top of the hob with the oven turned on) for about an hour or until doubled in size. then take out and give it another knead and put back in the warm place with the towel on top for another half an hour. meanwhile switch oven on 240c and then once been left stick it in the oven for half an hour then walla! i do lots of variations of this i add cheese, olives, onions etc anything you can think of and sometimes i do a fruit one, sooooo much nicer than stuff you buy in the shops and you know exactly whats in it :)
    Raven. :grinheart:grinheart:grinheart

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,953 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I make a small loaf daily in my panny as we like it really fresh. Lidl flour 68p/1.5Kg, Tesco flour never seems to make a perfect loaf for me. Doves Farm orange yeast from Tesco 99p, the small sachets are a rip off.

300g flour, 3/4 tsp yeast, 3/4 tsp sugar, 1/4 tsp salt, 24g flora, 200ml water, Italian bake. Can be used with timer. Wake up to the smell of fresh bread :drool:
  • Mayflower10cat
    Options
    I've just got hubby to do some Maths and we get 4 standard loaves out of a 1.5kg bag of flour (@£1.09 a bag) plus the yeast, plus sugar, salt and a splash of oil. I don't bother using milk or milk powder. Plus fuel of course. I'd never compare it to a 'value' type loaf, no way. I tend to use the breadmaker to produce the dough and let it rise, then I knock it back, stick it in two tins and bake conventionally. (Only because I got so annoyed with the hole that the 'paddle' leaves!) I've been experimenting with sourdough bread these last few months, this doesn't require any yeast at all. It keeps ever so well, for almost a week (though it never lasts thats that long!) and it's very tasty. An acquired taste perhaps, but we're hooked now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure