PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking A Gammon Joint in the Slow Cooker

Options

Comments

• squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You can find more advice and recipes in the links collected here:-

The Complete Slow Cooker Collection

Good luck :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • stumpjumper
    Options
    Gammon is fantastic in the SC, it's something I do quite often when I'm busy. I do soak it overnight though to get some of the salt out and then just cook it in water.
    2009 wins: Signed Saxon CD, Solar Torch, Drumsticks, Priest Feast Tix, Watch, Hammerfest tix :beer:
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It sounds as if i probably overcooked mine then! There, I knew I'd get helpful advice, thanks guys!

Sorry jackieO, I didn't intend to hijack your thread.:o
  • steve_r123
    Options
    Soak it overnight as has been said to reduce the salt.

Then bung in the SC, add a few bay leaves, cover with water then turn on. I usually cook it for 4ish hours. Bootiful! :D
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sounds fab, now I know what to do with it I might buy one tomorrow!
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • steve_r123
    Options
    lil_me wrote:
    Sounds fab, now I know what to do with it I might buy one tomorrow!

It really is gorgeous when its done. If I dont have time to soak it overnight, all I do is put it in a bowl of boiling water and leave it for 5 mins, then change the water and do the same again. Seems to work just as good, but not quite money saving as you have to boil the kettle :money:

:D
  • apple_mint
    apple_mint Posts: 1,102 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I always cook gammon in my slow cooker. I pop into the SC, put about an inch of water in the dish and drizzle honey over the gammon. Put it on low for the day and in the evening we have a lovely fall apart joint :D
    Enjoying an MSE OS life :D
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Mine weighs around 1.5kilos which in my £.s.d, is about three pounds give or take so if I give in a quick boil in a sauce pan, and drain it and bung it in the slow cooker with some chopped onion and some water it should take around four to five hours. I just want it so we can slice it cold for sarnies on Christmas afternoon whilst playing Monoploy with my tribe of grandchildren.We have a competition every year to see if they can catch Granny cheating:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
    Happy Christmas everyone
  • pinksleepybear
    Options
    I came onto MSE this morning to ask about cooking gammon in a SC - it's nice to hear that everyone else is doing the same!

I'm quite new to using a slow cooker, so I'd appreciate any advice on cooking times. I've got a 5.5kg monster (I'm going to freeze half after it's cooked, for yummy sarnies in the New Year), and I was planning to cook it in cola. Could anyone give me a guideline on how long to cook it? I was thinking 6-7 hours on low?
  • Pondasher
    Options
    I tried gammon in coke after finding the recipe elsewhere on this site. Just add a can of ordinary cola (not diet) and cook for several hours, depending on the size of the gammon. I used a cheaper supermarket own brand. It was delicious and will certainly do it again!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure