We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Daydream fund challenge part 4

Options

Comments

• choille
    choille Posts: 9,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Been drizzly today but slightly milder - it was minus 5 the other night & I don't seem to be able to get warm at all.

Been taking some very spindly, flagpole trees down to give others a bit of space. It's oddly satisfying if a slow job that makes much branches to be burnt when they are dry enough.

Hens seem intent on wreaking the garden.

Puppy is being adorable one minute, a horror the next. His eyes seem to be a lovely grey colour & he does look quite adorable with his choclatey colour & white socks - but looks can be deceptive at times.

Hairy cat seems to be less in the huff & seems to have become much more dignified and almost haughty the way he stands on high looking with distain, down on the little monster he sees before him.

Lovely grinder Alfie - what you intending to do with it?
  • alfie_1
    alfie_1 Posts: 5,837 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Lovely grinder Alfie - what you intending to do with it?

well....... if its is pretty ropey I intend to dismantle it and use the panels for on my 2 seater exercise cart... theres some nice paintwork pics [birds etc] so I will have a cracking unusual cart !!
    if its ok I will just display it ....where im not sure !

just couldn't resist buying it, seller had put it in as a GRINDER and it ended up in the coffee grinders section !! so not many bidders ...hehehe
  • choille
    Options
    It's sort of like fair ground painter which it may well have been?

If it was planted up a pub would buy it, but it may weigh a ton?

Grey, low cloud & drizzly here - cold. Went for a run on the beach - puppy loves sand & we had it all to ourselves.
  • alfie_1
    First Post
    Options
    choille wrote: »
    It's sort of like fair ground painter which it may well have been?

If it was planted up a pub would buy it, but it may weigh a ton?

Grey, low cloud & drizzly here - cold. Went for a run on the beach - puppy loves sand & we had it all to ourselves.

what a wonderful life your pup is going to have... what more can they ask for but freedom to be dogs :)

d you have a name for him yet ???
  • choille
    Options
    Freddie.

He is just a definite Freddie.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Names.

So we called the cats Delilah and Izzy.

And what do I call them?

Woolly and Wiggy! :rotfl:
  • alfie_1
    First Post
    Options
    animal names

bimble... bimmy fart
    dusty...asbo
    dolly... doo doo
    sunny [cat]... babs
    Jamaican [stallion] .... jimmy jam
    ruby.. rubes/ ruby two shoes
    storm... big lad
    lori [mini shet]... little sh*t
  • Fay
    Fay Posts: 1,031 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'm glad to see most people posting. I'm happy to see Alfie's mum is on the mend, choille has a new puppy (also can't wait to se pics), CTC has a partial poly tunnel and a gaggle of cats (delicious!), Dave is cracking in as always and Daffy is working like a trooper and keeping everyone entertained. And I'm glad others are all posting and moving forward with plans.
    I'm starting to get there in my own life. Still mainly in limbo and will be in my current home for a awhile yet. But I'm planning on taking a lot of plants with me, wondering when the best time to move them is...hostas, hellebores, hardy geraniums, snowball bush (small), sambucus nugra (small), angels fishing rod, salvias. I've worked so very very hard on this garden and I'm determined to carry some of the dream with me to what will now be my very own dream. And who knows, maybe one day I will have a small holding now.
    Feeling stronger day by day. Thanks for all the support during the very wobbly days x
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Fay wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    Feeling stronger day by day. Thanks for all the support during the very wobbly days x

Good to hear from you Fay and to see the positive way you're thinking.:A Confident you'll come through it, but it's a long road...

Dafty and I have both moved literally shedloads of plants when moving. I did mine in August, which isn't ideal, but I'd divided them long before that, so they were in pots for a year or more. Again, that's not ideal, but it worked.

Some of the plants you have, like the hosta, could still be divided now. They'll look tatty, but will pull through. For others, like the hellebores, you'll either have to dig them up whole, or wait till late autumn, which I'd guess might be too late. Plants don't like being moved when in full growth, but many will put up with it,if they have to, especially if you reduce top growth and demand on the roots.

The great thing about gardens is that, trees and massive shrubs apart, they can be dismantled and re-built. We are going to dig up all the plants along our frontage, behind the low hedge because having them there hasn't worked. They're fine, but DW isn't finding maintenance easy there, and the wild grasses have got in among them, so they need replacement with a simple mulch of grass clippings and one or two 'thug' plants to create a bit of interest. We can move them to new beds nearer the house shortly.....next year.... probably.

And our main garden isn't even started yet.....only 7.5 years. :o
  • choille
    Options
    Hello Fay - Good to hear from you and really glad that you are making plans & sounding positive. It's been a very difficult time for you.

Hope that things go really well and Dave has given marvellous tips on plants which I wish you well with.

Raining here off & on and very cold - hardly inspiring for outdoors stuff.

Puppy is either crashed out or manic - little inbetween times at the moment. although when he's out & about & people talk to him he seems on his best behaviour - he's very social. A little charmer. He had his 2nd jags yesterday & took in all in his stride & behaved very well unlike a rather portly yellow lab who Freddie thought was a monster.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback