We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Daydream fund challenge part 4

Options

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    alfie_1 wrote: »
    what does PPR mean !! ??

It means you can look, but you can't post: Posting Privileges Removed.:(

It's like being put in the naughty corner, except you may not get out again, so might have to create a new identity.... :cool:

Of course I'd not suggest that as a solution.... I:A:rotfl: ...just know someone who's done that. She's never admitted it, but her posting style is distinctive. Dafty will know who....;)

It's possible to be PPR'd by mistake. Write a considered post first in Word, maybe because, your spell check doesn't work here, then post it, and this antiquated old software may interpret it as spam:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5637515
  • pink_poppy
    pink_poppy Posts: 1,441 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    choille EEK! (my smilies don't work on this laptop) hope you're back posting soon.
    'A watched potato will never chit'...
  • Davesnave
    Options
    Went fishing last night down at Pete's place. The river was coloured and looked interesting, but even .....err....unconventional methods, yielded not so much as a twitch. :(

It's an interesting stretch of water, though, and there's plenty to look at, including a sign on the railway bridge with a line on it: "Closure Point." That was above my head, so I wondered how anyone would read it that way up in a flood!:rotfl:

Saw a dipper, or maybe two, and I know there are kingfishers, egrets and otters there. Just a bit worried that it seemed so fishless.....

Today is the deadline for the conservatory company to give us and the Glass n' Glazing Fed their proposals for rectifying the situation here. Not holding our breath. Meanwhile, we are pushing-on with the floor in there.....it's going to be a super space in there....eventually. :)
  • alfie_1
    alfie_1 Posts: 5,837 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    hi all,

suns shining and mums out of hospital today :j

big dog has gone back to son [owners due back late Thursday]

and breathe ....... ;)

have a good day y'all
  • Davesnave
    Options
    We had a reply from the conservatory company with less than 6 hours to go before the deadline set by the GGF. It just confirmed that the amendments we want to the structure are feasible, but only if we volunteer to pay about £4500 -£5000 for them!:eek: In other words, they're pretending they've forgotten that we're asking they build what their plans showed, at the agreed price.

I'm interested that the dates on it show they've had this manufacturer's info since 24th March, but haven't chosen to share it, until put under pressure.

We'll take advice now, and try not behave reactively. I think it's clear we have them in a difficult place, but I fear it's not difficult enough yet! :undecided

Our builder has laid about 3 tonnes of concrete over the conservatory's damp proof membrane I know because I mixed and barrowed it. So, now we have a floor we can walk on....and I can barely walk! :rotfl:

I think we'll go ahead and start to install the real floor as soon as I've recovered...like Friday...or maybe next Monday. :o

Pete rounded -up the sheep for dagging and drenching, then took them over to Horse woman's field. This gives me a chance to sort any docks, thistles and ragwort later in the month. So far, it's all looking very benign.....

I am worried about the swallows. Just one solitary pair and no sign oof the house martins yet. It's very late. :(

Bet Mum is pleased to be with you now, alfie.:)

• DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ah, returning PPR members - I think I know of whom you thought to Mention, Dave. Definitely a returnee, exact same posting style, irritates just as much in her new guise. It does seem to be getting easier to get PPR'd, and the election fever has sent temperatures - and bans - soaring. A couple of the more-useful posters on the Housing Forum recently vanished, one to return, another not. A shame that there isn't a bit more of both stoicism and acceptance around.

Here's hoping the conservatory issue gets sorted, and soon.

I stuck four lights up in the cellar yesterday, and finally got round to unpacking some of the boxes therein. Funny how you can find valuable treasures you thought you'd lost, yet not missed them in the past year enough to track them down. Anyway, the fact that fifty sheets of sandpaper are still OK proves the cellar dry enough. I had to buy the bits to do the wiring, as the wiring and lighting boxes were down in the murk, and invisible until lux was fiated. Catch 22 and all that. So, shiny new lights up, now I can see all the rusty old dross lights and wiring in their boxes :p

Just been strimming around my newly-planted hedging to try and keep the weeds down, and give the plants a chance. A surprising number are growing well, and I'm a bit surprised. That hot spell back a month might have killed most. Then, we've had little rain for a month... But, they seem to be greening up nicely! With the verges strummed, it looks quite cared-for!

But, knackered, covered in green flecks, sore back. Time for a cuppa, and then go and play with the latest babies...

Boreray.jpg

Talk about cute & cuddly!
  • Davesnave
    Options
    DaftyDuck wrote: »

Here's hoping the conservatory issue gets sorted, and soon.
    Not likely, I fear. :(

Under normal circumstances, we could just say, "You have 2 weeks now to put this thing up properly, or we get someone else to sort it and deduct that from your bill."

But there's the box gutter that we don't want, didn't approve and isn't in the contract. We now know it can be changed for one we do want, but only at a huge cost......and they are not currently making any offer to share that cost.

So I think we'll have a Mexican stand-off for a while. They can't finish the job, so can't fulfil the contract and get their money, while we can't finish the interior. If they see sense and try to meet us half way, we'll look at their offer, but so far, there's no offer.

The other guy in the village who used them, deducted what he thought reasonable in his situation and told them to sue him for the rest. He never heard from them again. That's another possibility....

I was brushcutting yesterday too. Builder doesn't need me for a while....hooray! :j
  • alfie_1
    alfie_1 Posts: 5,837 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    hi all
    well the rain didn't even touch the sides !!
    suns out but still a bit of a sharp breeze.
    my brother is off sailing from chatham to cornwall !! 3 of them do a 2 week sailing trip every year and seem to have an adventure every time !!

mum has settled in and after telling me a friend went into "respite after care " at the cost of 1,000 £ a week ive upped my game ;)
    bless her she is enjoying looking out at the garden but too cold to go out there yet. she is walking REALLY well with just a stick .

I need to tidy up my planting pots area, got various bags of soil/compost etc and plants to be planted, wires for the climbers etc to be installed, just have to get motivated... ive had a head cold all week and cant seem to get my butt going ....

anyway I hope you all have a lovely weekend.:)
  • Davesnave
    Options
    Not a lot to report here. We are pushing-on with the flooring in the conservatory, as our builder is now finishing at the end of June, ready for his relocation to Oz. It's all capable of being rained-on, just in case!;)

We have a surveyor from another conservatory firm visiting soon to advise and write a report, which we can use, depending on what it says. The current box gutter has tilted a little, so water only exits now from one end. Obviously, we'd like to know how other things they've done should have been done etc.

I suppose the best news is that the ventilation in there + the filter glass in the roof, means it's habitable, even on hot days. :)

It's been a really hard season so far for growing the usual edibles in the polytunnel, and my ornamental sowings have been pretty disastrous too. I know I haven't paid as much attention to them as normal, but tomatoes etc have been regularly fleeced.....and it's barely been enough. I began to doubt the compost, but a friend has the same problems with curling leaves and plants just keeling-over. :(

Like you, Dafty, I've been pleasantly surprised by the growth of new hedging in the dry spring, but for how long can it go on?

Ride-on mower is happily spraying petrol all over its exhaust pipe from some inaccessible region around the carburettor. I wish the Italians had just stuck to wine and opera! :p:(:mad:
  • Fay
    Fay Posts: 1,031 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Oh, just caught the thread before it dropped off the page. I don't have much to report. I feel in limbo land at present but the proceedings are rolling on, just slowly.
    It's raining today and whilst that means it's dull and therefore not good for the spirits, or my cat who is most displeased, it's eat for the garden. I've so far potted on about 8/9 hostas. They all look ok although a couple clearly had some slug or snails with them and they are slowly turning them to lace! I need to go out with a torch and get them.
    I'm not sure if I will get to do any gardening this weekend but I started more weeding last weekend, thinking the compost I bought last year had come riddled with weeds. Only to realise it was mainly verbena bonariensis seedlings! So lots have been potted up to see if I can grow them on. I heard they could be rampant but I culd start a business with them!

I have two sambucus nigras, both been in since last July time...do you think I could pit these on and take them? Or would it kill them? And what about viburnum snowball bushes, not very big, maybe 2 foot or so? Oh and hydrangeas lol

Any help, as always, gratefully received. If I could safely send out verbena seedlings you could all have hundreds too!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback