PPI Reclaiming Discussion part 4

Options

Comments

• marshallka
    marshallka Posts: 14,585 Forumite
    Options
    booi666 wrote: »
    How to use 'without prejudice' to protect your interests

If what you say in your attempts to settle a dispute (with a customer, supplier or employee, for example) is 'without prejudice', it means what you say can't be used against you if the dispute turns into court proceedings.

The basic meaning is 'without loss of any rights'. It is a term used when two parties are in dispute, and one makes a settlement offer to the other. It puts 'without prejudice' on its offer to make it clear that the settlement offer should not be construed as a waiver of rights. Importantly, communication marked 'without prejudice' cannot be used in evidence in court proceedings if the attempts at settlement fail and the dispute comes to court.

Why would you use it on a subject access request though. I thought this was to do with settlements.:confused:
  • bathgatebuyer
    Options
    I'll expand on that by adding you can sometimes use 'without prejudice save as to costs' for those documents that can't be produced as evidence - only to be used when a judge is making a decision over awarding costs. So, if you want to make an 'off the record' offer to settle without it prejudicing your own arguments in court (i.e "I'm claiming £1,500 but would settle at £800 to avoid court"), then by putting the WPSATC disclaimer on it, you're effectively making an offer that a judge won't see, until such time as he has to consider costs whereby you can show that you have made an offer to settle at a reasonable rate.
    Almost debt-free, but certainly even with the Banks!
  • deborah46
    Options
    Hi all,
    not sure if this is due to my success in reclaiming my ppi from hbos but today i received a cheque for £591 saying after an audit they have realised i was given an incorrect settlement figure when repaying a loan.
    Great surprise, will tide me over till Fos sees to Tesco Personal Finance!!!:beer: :beer:
  • maxdp
    maxdp Posts: 3,873 Forumite
    Options
    Within legal civil procedure, prejudice refers to a loss or injury. [1] Thus, in a civil case, dismissal without prejudice is a dismissal that allows for re-filing of the case in the future. The present action is dismissed but the possibility remains open that the claimant may file another suit on the same claim. This directly differs from a dismissal with prejudice, in which the claimant is barred from filing another case on the same claim. Dismissal with prejudice is a final judgment and the case becomes res judicata on the claims that were or could have been brought in it. Dismissal without prejudice is not.
    :mad:
  • marshallka
    Options
    deborah46 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    not sure if this is due to my success in reclaiming my ppi from hbos but today i received a cheque for £591 saying after an audit they have realised i was given an incorrect settlement figure when repaying a loan.
    Great surprise, will tide me over till Fos sees to Tesco Personal Finance!!!:beer: :beer:
    Wow thats a bonus to you then. Hope all goes well with Tesco. I note from this thead that Tesco are quite difficult to get any info from and take ages to respond. Good luck and let us know how you go on.;)
  • booi666
    booi666 Posts: 745 Forumite
    Options
    marshallka wrote: »
    The basic meaning is 'without loss of any rights'. It is a term used when two parties are in dispute, and one makes a settlement offer to the other. It puts 'without prejudice' on its offer to make it clear that the settlement offer should not be construed as a waiver of rights. Importantly, communication marked 'without prejudice' cannot be used in evidence in court proceedings if the attempts at settlement fail and the dispute comes to court.

Why would you use it on a subject access request though. I thought this was to do with settlements.:confused:

In your sars your asking for documents that dont exist,so what you going to do then marsh

Ask them nicely to get you them?
    :j Let him who be deceived ,be deceived:j
  • maxdp
    maxdp Posts: 3,873 Forumite
    Options
    Well done Deborah 46. Good luck with Tesco
    :mad:
  • marshallka
    Options
    I'll expand on that by adding you can sometimes use 'without prejudice save as to costs' for those documents that can't be produced as evidence - only to be used when a judge is making a decision over awarding costs. So, if you want to make an 'off the record' offer to settle without it prejudicing your own arguments in court (i.e "I'm claiming £1,500 but would settle at £800 to avoid court"), then by putting the WPSATC disclaimer on it, you're effectively making an offer that a judge won't see, until such time as he has to consider costs whereby you can show that you have made an offer to settle at a reasonable rate.
    I just wondered why you use this on the SAR? I want to learn why.
  • di3004
    di3004 Posts: 42,579 Forumite
    Options
    deborah46 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Well done Deborah, great news...:beer: , lets hope you get the same outcome with Tesco, good luck.;)
    The one and only "Dizzy Di" :D
  • deborah46
    Options
    marshallka wrote: »
    Wow thats a bonus to you then. Hope all goes well with Tesco. I note from this thead that Tesco are quite difficult to get any info from and take ages to respond. Good luck and let us know how you go on.;)
    Thanks Marshallka,

myself, natalie699 and showergirl all have in with the fos regarding tesco. we have also reported them and their tactics to the fsa.
    Hope you are better now x
    Keep up the good work, you are an absolute star on this forum
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family