PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Savvy Sopper, My rrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Options

Comments

• JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,693 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I think my milk dated 19/4 had been opened a week.
    Years ago it would not have lasted that long, so is it something that is done to the milk or better refrigerators?
  • Blackbeard_of_Perranporth
    Options
    Goldiegirl wrote: »
    But is a frankfurter based meal 3 days a week classed as balanced?
    This week slightly different, yes. Could had been sticky chicken pieces, carrots or cauliflower cheese. Even kedgeree!

Bu993r me so many choices, just fancied them!

It's called variety! Did you check my latest MOT Posting about my BP at 118/58?
  • Blackbeard_of_Perranporth
    Options
    JIL wrote: »
    I think my milk dated 19/4 had been opened a week.
    Years ago it would not have lasted that long, so is it something that is done to the milk or better refrigerators?
    I have already flamed your milk quota. I would save a £1, but fart and light my fire with £50 notes!
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,693 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I have already flamed your milk quota. I would save a £1, but fart and light my fire with £50 notes!

I don't understand what you are saying? I am not at all bothered about you spending 49p on pints of milk. I do it myself if I take milk to work.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I buy 6 x 2litre cartons of UHT milk and have found they seem to last the longest I live alone and apart from tea/coffee or the odd cereal really don't use a great deal of milk.Plus I can keep the unopened ones in the conservatory in the winter as its the coldest spot in the house and it means my fridge isn't bunged up with milk I live on an avarage buget of £60.00 per month and eat reasonably well on that.I don't eat bread or butter .Yesterday my breakfast was two scrambled eggs with thre crackerbreads,lunch was HM carrot and coriander soup and an orange yogurt.Dinner was a small piece of Y/S pork fillet from the freezer a jacket potato some asparagus from the freezer (also Y/S at 10p) and a couple more diced mushrooms with a sprinkling of grated cheese on topWorking out what I had paid for unit wise
    eggs were around 12p each plus crackerbread about 10 so 34p for breakfast
    Lunch was HM soup made from a kilo of carrots reduced to 16p so with a good dollop of coriander powder and some diced onions from freezer (also reduced )so soup 10p (I had made two litres of it to last for lunches during the week)plus a yogurt 25p =35p for lunch
    Dinner was half a packet of reduced asparagus 5p pork fillet Y/S 55p Jacket spud from a bag of spuds around 15p some left over mushrooms 20p and some grated cheese about 20p total for dinner £1.15
    Breakfast = 34p
    Lunch = 35p
    Dinner = 1.15p

Total meals = £ 1.84p

Plus a couple of cups of tea and coffee perhaps about 40p so total outlay for me yesterday for food and drink was about £2.24.

Sundays I eat at my DDs for sunday dinner and Tuesdays (tonight ) I go to a pub quiz where we get a cooked meal along with the quiz for £2.00 so I only have 5 dinners a week to make and 7 breakfasts and 7 lunches
    Breakfast is usually cereal or porridge and lunch is usually HM soup and cheese and crackers I spend about a third of my £60.00 budget on fresh fruit and veg and eat meat probably around four times a week. I am healthy and fit I don't eat sugary things or drink I also neither smoke. I keep a good lookout for bargains in the shops and use W/Rose/aldi & Lidls for my shopping. W/Rose usually when I get sent coupons for money off a big shop.I can't get much more into my freezer as its crammed full of Y/S stuff :) I enjoy fish and will treat myself to some from the nearby Whitstable fresh fish market now and again.but am just as happy to have a tuna and sweetcorn salad or sardines or pilchards mixed up in a salad for a change if they are on offer. I bake my own biscuits and make cakes for my DGS when they want some I try not to buy things that I can make myself for less.Soup is far cheaper and nicer to make that buying a tin of chemical tasting stuff, and a big pot of soup made from past their best veg is pennies to make. The internet means they're are unpteen sites to look on for cheap and easy meals to cook for your self and it is possible to eat well for a lot less than buying a ready meal or takeaway. A couple of chicken thighs and some herbs and spices and a tin of tomatoes make a cheap and tasty curry for around a quid that with rice will easily streeetch to a couple of meals When I make a curry or chilli its always at least one for now and two for the freezer :):):)
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    Options
    Haha BOP go teach your granny :P
    The lady in the article is quite cheerful LOL I love that she shops at 'Marks' for the yellow stickers. I wonder if they see her coming and stick it all out to get rid of it in one fell swoop. I shall keep an eye on her blog to see how she does for the week though.
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options

Did you check my latest MOT Posting about my BP at 118/58?

Congratulations
    And I don't wear a bra

What's that got to do with anything?
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Only two of us, if I bought two pint bottles, over half would go off!

Bull.
    What's that got to do with anything?

Hes saying he is male not female.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    I shop at 7pm in tesco and can buy a months worth of meals for two of us for less than £20.I buy a very varied amount of meat and fish.I only buy fruit and veg when it's reduced to between 2p and 10p a pack.Last night I managed to buy 8 salmon portions for 8p each,I only shop 2 evenings a week and freeze as much as I can,veg is made into soups.i know I am very lucky to live in an area where people don't really bother with reduced food.i also stock the freezer with 10p bakery items.Good luck to her if she prepared to put the hours in and search out reduced items.

But what price do you put on your time?

And does she drive to various different shops to hunt out the bargains? And if so, how much is she spending on petrol over & above what she would do if she did a main shop in one place?
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    Options
    The only place I regularly pick up reduced priced items is in my local Co-op as I shop in there most days. However, their reductions have been very poor these last few months, often only knocking off 10%-15% of original price even half an hour before closing and on food items to be used that day. A lot of fresh food needlessly ends up in the bins.

I never drive anywhere specifically to search out reduced price food as this defeats the object of making any savings and you're not guaranteed to get anything anyway. But if I happen to be in a supermarket anyway then I'll always have a look for reduced price meat/fish/veggies etc I can pick up to either cook the next day or stick in the freezer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure