No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries in December

Options

Comments

• rogueylawyer
    Options
    moromir wrote: »
    Just an aside but has anyone tried Yves Rocher products? Thoughts?

I've used their products and grew up with them. I've just put an order in to get some christmas presents. They're on the Avon/Body shop end of things but were always cruelty free and relatively natural, not sure about now.

They've always got lots of deals on, although some of the gifts they give away are tat, especially jewellery.
  • indiepanda
    Options

I used to use them years ago. They were ok, not worth paying full price for but there so many discounts you'd be able to avoid that - bit like Avon in that respect.

If you are at all weak willed when it comes to offers you might want to avoid - I found I used to get deluged with catalogues and special offers if I went for a short while without ordering. Mind you that was pre-internet, they might mainly do by email these days and it's easy enough to dump the messages straight in spam if they get too much.
  • indiepanda
    Options
    Evening all, and hugs to all that need them. I'm a bit wobbly tonight as well.

Indiepanda you made me giggle with the Catholic guilt, but I think it's true! I'm hoping my qualification means a wage increase. I can no longer stand staring longingly at OS's Molton Brown stash without getting some of my own, but I'm definitely on more of a Body Shop wage!

Hugs to you too. I remember getting a rather nice raise when I passed my final exams, though the most exciting thing was knowing I'd finished the exams, they were so stressful. Do you have long to go?

Been feeling rather wobbly too today. My OH is stuck overseas due to visa issues and has been for over a year (loooooong story) and I'm missing him so much it hurts.

I'm due to be going on a course at work tomorrow that sounds so full on I'm feeling like I've signed up for the Apprentice and all I want to do is stay in bed and cry. Doubt I will though - that guilt complex will probably get me out of bed....
  • mickey_mouse
    Options
    Well done to Emma - great result

Whispers to Kipling Monkey - I bought a Kipling makeup bag for a birthday pressie for a friend and a purple Kipling handbag for the friend that was with me for her Birthday in Jan. she bought me an orange Kipling bag for my birthday but I can't have it until my Birthday in July . She also bought a purple Kipling suitcase to match the bag I bought her.
    Use up toiletries in 2020. 88
    Make £2020 in 2020. No 85. £1808.05/£2020
  • noelphobic
    noelphobic Posts: 2,297 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

I didn't realise they were still going. I did used to get quite a lot of stuff from them but they had so many different special offers and products that it got quite confusing. Don't remember much about the products I bought at all, which means they can't have been absolutely amazing or absolutely awful! I've probably still got some lurking somewhere or other! :eek:
    3 stone down, 3 more to go
  • Fiasco55
    Fiasco55 Posts: 1,347 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Great news about Emma - ::T

Hermia- What a lovely idea to carry on what your mum has always done at Christmas. Very touching and I hope it will bring you a little TLC over the festive time when it can be difficult.

I am feeling the need to pass along a group hug as a few of us could do with one :grouphug:

I am on a UU roll after last months poor show.

Right guard deo - WBA as it works really well, smells nice and is a price I like £1.

Elemis skin SOS - gutted that this is now gone. Really liked this and felt it soothed my spotty skin. I WBA and might treat myself with my Christmas cash.

Speaking of my spotty skin, I got a lovely facial today. Here's hoping it clears up my skin for this weekend. I swear my chin just knows its party season and from the nose to neck I am out partying like a spotty teenager wearing Chanel lipstick :(
    No buying toiletries Graduated May 2017
    Decluttered 2016 2469 items, 2017 1580 items :j
    2018 3060 items
    Sealed Pot Challenge No 038
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Firstly, hooray for Emma, ValM and huge hugs Hermia. Anything that helps you to keep your Mum 'with' you is totally justified and always will be. Enjoy using your treats.

I've kept a bar of novelty soap that my children begged me not to use or throw out after my Mum's death - and this was 21 years ago - as it 'smelt like Nan's house'. I have it in a drawer.

Thanks for the responses to my other posts. I like generating debate. :D
    I felt a bit guilty when I saw Moromir's list after I'd asked what she sold on EB, in case I'd made her type all that - wow, what a list of outs.

Re the Yardley cream that won't dispense. Why do manufacturers persist in using unsuitable packaging for toiletries? Or don't they listen to complaints? I'm cheesed off with round topped shower gels and body lotions. The best thing I bought for my bathroom was a chrome storage rack that I can prop stuff in upside down . It lives on the shelf at the back of the bath with a wall on 2 sides to help propping.

The "shower timer" is a little egg timer with a sucker attached, it can be turned upside down very easily with wet hands.
    Mine is handily stuck at eye level to the front of the shower casing. It was the only place it could go, actually. My bathroom tiles are slightly textured and anything attached to the tiles by a sucker drops off. Eventually. As I learned...:o

I put up a suckered safety bar that lulled me into false security but then dropped off and smashed my integral wall mounted soap dish a year or two ago.

It could have been worse - I wasn't holding on to the bar at the time. A charity shop benefited from my passing them on, but I've since read of accidents blamed on those sucker - style bars.
    I made enquiries and discovered I could have permanent ones fitted for free. :cool:
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • rogueylawyer
    Options
    indiepanda wrote: »
    Hugs to you too. I remember getting a rather nice raise when I passed my final exams, though the most exciting thing was knowing I'd finished the exams, they were so stressful. Do you have long to go?

Been feeling rather wobbly too today. My OH is stuck overseas due to visa issues and has been for over a year (loooooong story) and I'm missing him so much it hurts.

I'm due to be going on a course at work tomorrow that sounds so full on I'm feeling like I've signed up for the Apprentice and all I want to do is stay in bed and cry. Doubt I will though - that guilt complex will probably get me out of bed....

I qualified a few months months ago :o It's a long story but basically no payrise or change despite my change in qualifications. I've gone about resolving it by taking on additional duties which should pay quite nicely, but don't form my basic salary. It should put me in a better position but does require working a fair few extra hours.

I'm so sorry go hear about your OH, where is he? Is the end in sight over the visa?

Was up super early as OH had a 5am start, going to get up and get in to work v early to try and get a head start, I plan on being back in bed by 7pm :rotfl:
  • indiepanda
    Options
    I qualified a few months months ago :o It's a long story but basically no payrise or change despite my change in qualifications. I've gone about resolving it by taking on additional duties which should pay quite nicely, but don't form my basic salary. It should put me in a better position but does require working a fair few extra hours.

I'm so sorry go hear about your OH, where is he? Is the end in sight over the visa?

Was up super early as OH had a 5am start, going to get up and get in to work v early to try and get a head start, I plan on being back in bed by 7pm :rotfl:

Ah, I guess if I think about it I went from working a 4 day week with one day a week for study to a 5 day week and tending to do longer days when I qualified so it meant they were getting more from me for their money. Anyway I hope your strategy pays off.

No end in sight with the visa, we got turned down by the British Embassy in Albania and when we appealed in the courts over here they turned us down because they don't trust his intentions towards me. We've got to apply again but that will be turned down again by the embassy and we will have to go through the appeal courts again.

That court hearing was one of the worst experiences of my life - they made me sound like I was stupid because I hadn't twigged he wasn't here legally, and hence that I couldn't tell whether he loved me or not.

I've no experience of dating an illegal immigrant before so I wasn't exactly looking out for the signs of it, but I've definitely had bad relationships before and I know this wasn't one - he was the kindest person I've ever been with and I'm lost without him. He lied out of fear not intention to use and con me.

People keep telling me I'm coping so well but the truth is I'm so tired of putting a brave face on, it's exhausting.
  • Itzybitzy
    Itzybitzy Posts: 949 Forumite
    Options
    UU

Aqueous Bath and Shower Gel, 30ml - WNBA (or steal from a hotel again), nice smell but so thick it was nearly impossible to get out of the bottle!
    Dermalogica Multivitamin Power Firm, 5ml - WNBA, prefer creams but did have a lovely smell :)
    Total debts = [STRIKE]£3116[/STRIKE], [STRIKE]2216[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£2066[/STRIKE][STRIKE]£1916[/STRIKE][STRIKE]£1766[/STRIKE][STRIKE]£1616[/STRIKE][STRIKE]£1466[/STRIKE][STRIKE]£1316[/STRIKE][STRIKE]£1166[/STRIKE][STRIKE]£1016[/STRIKE]£866
    DMP £150 each month
    Total paid off so far £2150 :D
    Debt Free by Jan 2013
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills