PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

New Build Nightmare - Avant Homes

Options
Hello All

Looking for some help, had an absolutely nightmarish experience buying a new build flat from Avant Homes (Ben Bailey).

The most recent issue been I have been in the flat 3 weeks. The keys were given to my girlfriend whilst I wasnt there who isnt even on the mortgage, deeds or anything. I have had no building certificates or meter readings or anything for that matter, literally just the keys.

What certificates should I have? In the past I have had heating certificates, electricity, NHBC etc.

I am concerned because the list of issues is endless, some seemingly major. E.G. hot water tripped repeatedly when first moved in (RCD replaced) and now the lights all flicker. Oh and the electricity meters that I haven't yet signed for appear to be the wrong way around. So the one labelled as the bottom floor flat is actually mine (top floor) and vice versa. I have reported this to the builders who have done absolutely nothing. So I have concerns over the general standard of the wiring not to mention the fact that I could end up with a bill for someone else's electricity.

Also the building spec that I bought had a chrome heated towel rail in each bathroom. I have one white towel rail and one panel heated. When I raised it with Avant homes the site manager told me the build spec was different to the sales spec so they didn't realise they were meant to put one in. So apparently they are on order although I'm certain they actually wont be. Again anything I can do about it as it isn't the spec I ordered?

Sorry guys, I have tried to be brief. All I can say is if anyone is thinking of buying an Avant Home. Save yourself the trouble. I got the move date pulled 3 times, once with 3 days notice and then told 12 hours before completion that I was meant to be moving.

Comments

• hobbgoblin
    Options
    Any advice guys? I have wrote to head office and still nothing
  • libf
    libf Posts: 1,008 Forumite
    Options
    Contact the NHBC. Might be worth checking with the solicitor that acted for you in case they have copies of the certificate, but NHBC themselves should be able to look it up.
  • TBeckett100
    TBeckett100 Posts: 4,732 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Our developer came to give us the keys, read meters and presented us with a bible of certificates, user manuals and specs for everything in the house. It's a shame you weren't there for handover. Something that important I wouldn't have let someone else collect the key

I assume your girlfriend didn't sneakily obtain a key and you wanted her to get it? Not sure what the issue is there
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You don't need the developers to sort out the incorrect meter reg. Contact the supplier, give the correct meter reference number and a reading-job done. But make sure the person you have been transposed with does the same.
    Don't ever rely on the developer to submit readings for gas/water or electricity, it's nothing to do with them and they'll invariably screw it up. Do your own.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • hobbgoblin
    Options
    Our developer came to give us the keys, read meters and presented us with a bible of certificates, user manuals and specs for everything in the house. It's a shame you weren't there for handover. Something that important I wouldn't have let someone else collect the key

I assume your girlfriend didn't sneakily obtain a key and you wanted her to get it? Not sure what the issue is there

Why would I want her to sneakily get a key? she arrived and was waiting in the car park for me. The sales lady gave her the key. The issue being I had no handover for the house. It is not my first home so I know how it should be done and this isnt it. I have now had the meter readings done and received the electrical certificate but no others. Oh and a photo copy of the NHBC sign off as they lost the original.

Avant Homes have not been in contact for 4 the past 4 weeks so the issues are all still outstanding and they are now saying that some of the issues i.e the towel rails not fitted etc may never get done as they were on the sales spec not the build spec so I was sold the wrong specification. They also have not paid the £500 compensation for fitting the wrong doors throughout.

I know many people reading this wont have any suggestions on what I should do next, but if any of you are considering an Avant Home, just run in the opposite direction.
  • makeitstop
    Options
    hobbgoblin wrote: »
    Why would I want her to sneakily get a key? she arrived and was waiting in the car park for me. The sales lady gave her the key. The issue being I had no handover for the house. It is not my first home so I know how it should be done and this isnt it. I have now had the meter readings done and received the electrical certificate but no others. Oh and a photo copy of the NHBC sign off as they lost the original.

Avant Homes have not been in contact for 4 the past 4 weeks so the issues are all still outstanding and they are now saying that some of the issues i.e the towel rails not fitted etc may never get done as they were on the sales spec not the build spec so I was sold the wrong specification. They also have not paid the £500 compensation for fitting the wrong doors throughout.

I know many people reading this wont have any suggestions on what I should do next, but if any of you are considering an Avant Home, just run in the opposite direction.

OP. do they have facebook and Twitter accounts.?

If so, ask some rather pressing questions on there and invite others to join you if they are similarly disappointed with Avant.

Also, once you have checked they use these accounts, tell them you are going to do that unless you get a response to your questions about poor service.
  • AlistairM
    Options
    This sounds like a crappy situation to be in, bet you're wishing you said you never got the key so they'd have to come and do it properly, my sympathies :(

Honestly the more I read about new builds the more I wonder why anyone puts themselves through it.

Puts me in mind of a quote from Captain Kirk

"One ship may be brand new, state of the art, but it also has countless bugs to work out. Another ship may be a hundred years old and shake like a rattle. But the bugs are long gone - and that's why she's a hundred years old"
    We love what we love. Reason does not enter into it. In many ways, unwise love is the truest love. Anyone can love a thing because. That's as easy as putting a penny in your pocket. But to love something despite. To know the flaws and love them too. That is rare and pure and perfect.
  • gregsayer
    gregsayer Posts: 132 Forumite
    edited 29 December 2015 at 11:09AM
    Options
    just to follow this up

my brother just completed on his Avant homes (ben bailey) new build
    on completion the list of issues are:

1) wrong white goods to what was ordered, all bottom of the range hoover appliances (fridge is also damaged)
    2) hoover gas hob, where there should be a induction
    3) white doors, rather then natural wood.
    4) double car port hasn't been built, "as they needed the parking spaces for tradesmens vans"
    5) every single (without exaggeration) kitchen unit, has cracks, chips or missing handles
    6) all white gloss paint was wet
    7) Nails sticking out of stair case
    8) floor tiles raised, preventing bathroom door opening
    9) wood work not nailed down, coming away from walls
    10) loose cabling for kitchen unit lights just sitting on top of kitchen cupboards
    11) evidence (!) of toilets being used
    12) poor finish (or lack of any) between external doors and brickwork

it was also avant homes that pushed for the completion date, my brother was happy (as a FTB) to wait till after Christmas...
  • makeitstop
    Options
    gregsayer wrote: »
    just to follow this up

my brother just completed on his Avant homes (ben bailey) new build
    on completion the list of issues are:

1) wrong white goods to what was ordered, all bottom of the range hoover appliances (fridge is also damaged)
    2) hoover gas hob, where there should be a induction
    3) white doors, rather then natural wood.
    4) double car port hasn't been built, "as they needed the parking spaces for tradesmens vans"
    5) every single (without exaggeration) kitchen unit, has cracks, chips or missing handles
    6) all white gloss paint was wet
    7) Nails sticking out of stair case
    8) floor tiles raised, preventing bathroom door opening
    9) wood work not nailed down, coming away from walls
    10) loose cabling for kitchen unit lights just sitting on top of kitchen cupboards
    11) evidence (!) of toilets being used
    12) poor finish (or lack of any) between external doors and brickwork

it was also avant homes that pushed for the completion date, my brother was happy (as a FTB) to wait till after Christmas...

Wow, sounds like an absolute car crash. How massively disappointing.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    AlistairM wrote: »
    This sounds like a crappy situation to be in, bet you're wishing you said you never got the key so they'd have to come and do it properly, my sympathies :(

Honestly the more I read about new builds the more I wonder why anyone puts themselves through it.

Puts me in mind of a quote from Captain Kirk

"One ship may be brand new, state of the art, but it also has countless bugs to work out. Another ship may be a hundred years old and shake like a rattle. But the bugs are long gone - and that's why she's a hundred years old"

A girl form work bought a new build and the conditions, no sky dish to be attached to the outside wall and no works van to parked outside on display. Stuff that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure