Went into the back of a BMW, how do I deal with this?

Options

Comments

• BeenThroughItAll
    Options
    To follow on from this discussion about careless or reckless driving, people can be (and have been) been jailed for things as innocuous as reaching for a sweet, where the result of doing so was dangerous driving.

The golden rule is very simple. If you cannot do something without focussing 100% on driving, you cannot legally do it whilst driving.

Can you actually point to ANY documented case of someone being jailed for reaching for a sweet?
  • HornetSaver
    HornetSaver Posts: 3,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Can you actually point to ANY documented case of someone being jailed for reaching for a sweet?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1490329.stm

In the interests of saving several back-and-forths, I'll reiterate the entire phrase I used.
    people can be (and have been) been jailed for things as innocuous as reaching for a sweet, where the result of doing so was dangerous driving.
  • Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm not sure about that idea, the last time the government picked a car for the population we ended up with this:

AC_Invalid_Carriage_1976.JPG

I wouldn't fancy dodging the lorries on the M25 with that.
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

Owned: ;);););):D
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1490329.stm

In the interests of saving several back-and-forths, I'll reiterate the entire phrase I used.
  • Fat_Walt
    Fat_Walt Posts: 750 Forumite
    Options
    To follow on from this discussion about careless or reckless driving, people can be (and have been) been jailed for things as innocuous as reaching for a sweet, where the result of doing so was dangerous driving.

The golden rule is very simple. If you cannot do something without focussing 100% on driving, you cannot legally do it whilst driving.

Fair play he's done you there.

He was wrong when he said you can be jailed for reckless driving. It's been replaced with dangerous.
  • Richard53
    Richard53 Posts: 3,173 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Also, was checking something on the phone when I hit the guy
    You've just lost any sympathy you had from me.
    If someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter, they are not a nice person.
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If he did sign some kind of paperwork you made up, the odds are it wouldn't stand up in court anyway if he's making a PI claim
  • Richard53
    Richard53 Posts: 3,173 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    arcon5 wrote: »
    If he did sign some kind of paperwork you made up, the odds are it wouldn't stand up in court anyway if he's making a PI claim
    Absolutely. Your right to claim for injuries in an accident is a right that, by law, you cannot sign away. That's why so many so-called 'disclaimers' are not worth the paper they are written on.
    If someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter, they are not a nice person.
  • HornetSaver
    HornetSaver Posts: 3,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Fat_Walt wrote: »
    Fair play he's done you there.

He was wrong when he said you can be jailed for reckless driving. It's been replaced with dangerous.

When actually talking about going to jail I said dangerous.

Besides, the only ways I can think of in which you can be a dangerous driver without being reckless are if you suddenly develop an uncontrollable car, of if you suddenly develop a medical condition which affects your driving (I leave that open-ended as that could include a severe coughing fit). There are millions of other dangerous things you can do, but every single one of them involves breaking a rule, law or section of the Highway Code that you should know about.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,827 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

Certainly an interesting case though "reaching for a sweet" is misleading as it makes it sound like he was just grabbing something from a tin in the car.

In the wording of that article he was not reaching for a sweet but rather "searching" in the pockets of a jacket draped across the passenger seat which is a lot different
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure