PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Piadine - Cheap OS meal

Options

Comments

• HappyIdiotTalk
    Options
    Wow, these look great. Thanks a lot. I've been meaning to try a bread-making recipe for a wrap-type flat bread for ages. I only buy them when they are on offer (Sainsbury's at present, £1.35 for two packs). I wonder if you could dry-fry them, or even do them in the oven?

For anyone wanting to make them into canapes over Christmas (rolled and then cut into little filled circles) there are instructions and recipes on missiondeliwraps.co.uk.

Dry frying should work as you dont need much olive oil to start with. I usually pour a drop into the pan and wipe it round with a kitchen towel. Then pour a drop more over the upside of the piadina (I think piadine is the plural) so theres some on that side when I turn it over. But there is so little oil used I cant see that using none at all would effect it much.
    SIMPLE SIMON - Met a pie man going to the fair. Said Simple Simon to the pie man, "What have you got there?" Said the pie man unto Simon, "Pies, you simpleton!"
  • 1sttimer_2
    Options
    These look wonderful Happy - we love wraps in our house but they are fairly pricy so usually get them when on BOGOF. How thin do you make them? Presumably you can only roll them out to the size of frypan you've got so you could have any number of them if you've got a small pan!

I'm so excited about making these - I've not used by BM for ages due to me slimming and not eating bread - but I'm very very tempted with these.

Thanks Happy

PS I must have been a past life italian too as Pasta is my very fave food. Never been to Italy tho - can't pursuade OH to go. Mum had an italian type name and gave my sister an italian name too (we never knew anybody with same name!)
    "It is always the best policy to speak the truth-unless, of course, you are an exceptionally good liar." - Jerome K Jerome
  • HappyIdiotTalk
    Options
    1sttimer wrote:
    These look wonderful Happy - we love wraps in our house but they are fairly pricy so usually get them when on BOGOF. How thin do you make them? Presumably you can only roll them out to the size of frypan you've got so you could have any number of them if you've got a small pan!

I'm so excited about making these - I've not used by BM for ages due to me slimming and not eating bread - but I'm very very tempted with these.

Thanks Happy

PS I must have been a past life italian too as Pasta is my very fave food. Never been to Italy tho - can't pursuade OH to go. Mum had an italian type name and gave my sister an italian name too (we never knew anybody with same name!)

Hi 1sttimer,

You will defintely save money on these, even taking into account the BOGOFF offers. I've not worked out the cost in flour, salt and olive oil but it can only be pennies!

Ideally you want them to be something like 3-5 millimeters thick, but this isn't an exact science so just roll them to the size you need and dont worry to much about the thickness. They puff up a little when cooking anyway. Mine usually end up being about 3mm and quite large as I have a huge frying pan.
    SIMPLE SIMON - Met a pie man going to the fair. Said Simple Simon to the pie man, "What have you got there?" Said the pie man unto Simon, "Pies, you simpleton!"
  • organic_wanabe
    Options
    I'm just about to make these now that I have managed to find the post again - I was searching for Piperade (one of those senior moments)!
  • HappyIdiotTalk
    HappyIdiotTalk Posts: 1,443 Forumite
    Options
    Good luck, let us know how you got on. I might make these tonight myself I've got some mushrooms to use up and a bit of bacon... and cheese for the wife.
  • vixtress
    vixtress Posts: 1,153 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    these sound fab, will be having a go myself, maybe tomorrow! thanks
    - prior planning prevents poor performance!

May Grocery challenge £150 136/150
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    Hi, we had these for tea yesterday, and they were scrummmmmmy! :T

I took photos, so will post them later.

Couple of points - it made 4, but they were quite small - anout 20cm diameter, so I doubled the quantity.

The first one I cooked, I used too much olive oil, so it was too greasy for a wrap, but was great once it had cooled - it crisped up, a bit like a tortilla chip, so I'll be experimenting with that.

Well done, HIT!! :A

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • organic_wanabe
    Options
    Mine were also a success. I used wholemeal flour and used some leftover ones as wraps for lunchboxes, which DH and DS son ate but said they were more dense than the usual wraps (which aren't wholemeal).
  • Softstuff
    Softstuff Posts: 3,086 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just made these for lunch, didn't use a breadmaker though, and it took less than a minute to knead to a good consistency. Didn't have the patience to wait 20 minutes for the dough, so just kneaded and used it straight away. Came out fantastic, and that was just using plain value branded flour. Will be making these pretty regularly from now on. Thanks!
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
  • HappyIdiotTalk
    Options
    Softstuff wrote: »
    Just made these for lunch, didn't use a breadmaker though, and it took less than a minute to knead to a good consistency. Didn't have the patience to wait 20 minutes for the dough, so just kneaded and used it straight away. Came out fantastic, and that was just using plain value branded flour. Will be making these pretty regularly from now on. Thanks!

Gosh lunch is late round your house, your post is clocked at 3.00AM! Glad you like them, what fillings did you use?

Penelope, how many did you have each? We find that two each at the size we make them is quite filling, so doubling the quantity would be too much for us (and I've got a good appetite). I'm looking forward to the photos if you have chance to post them up.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure