Ebico / SSE partnership has ended!

Options

Comments

• whattochoose
    Options
    atsblack wrote: »
    Like James Mass, I too received the “Do Nothing” letter. If you do nothing, you remain as you are for the time being. My letter does not mention the15th March. To move to Ebico Zero I have to opt in. I think it’s the PAYG customers who are being automatically switched to RHE if they don’t opt out, and all the credit customers receive the “do nothing” (or opt in) whether they’re receiving WHD or not.

Ebico, instead of listing all the circumstances, and options available for all customers in one letter have chosen to send out different letters to customers depending on how they pay for their fuel. I paid for my fuel (dual) quarterly on receipt of account. What a shambles Ebico have created. The fact that everyone on this thread has a different opinion of what to do reflects on Ebico’s incompetence.

When I joined Ebico 11 years ago everyone paid the same rate regardless. That’s how it should be. The Ebico tariff when I joined was a few pence per kwh cheaper than the SSE rates at that time with no standing charge. Now Ebico rates are well above SSE current rates. I’ve known for years that I could save money switching, but have stayed because of the equi principle. Now, apparently Ebico see nothing wrong with PP customers being charged a standing charge, and DD payers receiving a discount.

Ebico have caused this situation not SSE. I also have doubts that Council run RHE can cope with such a mass switchover. Ebico have have in the past been praised for their customer service, when in fact their billing and customer service for the last 20 years has been provided by SSE. I’ve never phoned Ebico, only SSE. When I moved to Ebico all those years ago it was because their partner was SSE.I certainly wouldn’t have moved had their partner been council run RHE. Now when everyone is trying to phone Ebico / RHE direct they can’t get through.

The day I received the Ebico letter I had a look for feedback on RHE. Although there’s not much, the feedback I found was around 50-50 and obviously pre the current situation. However, having enjoyed an excellent customer service from SSE over the years, the negative reviews I did see were enough for me. I agree with Anthorn’s view (earlier in this thread) and have also switched to SSE. Even with a standing charge I’ll pay £70 less than the Ebico Zero tariffs even with their full 5.5% reduction, and it’s fixed for a year not just to December.
    Received this from SSE...

I am writing to you regarding your Ebico tariff for your gas account.

I can confirm that you will be staying on our Ebico tariff as an existing customer. Although we have withdrawn the tariff from SSE we will still be honouring this tariff for existing customers. The only time that your tariff will change is if you request the tariff to be changed.

So, hopefully matters resolved for the foreseeable future.

Atsblack, please clarify are you switching to a new tariff with SSE, or are you keeping the Ebico tariff (legacy tariff) with SSE, like me? (see above) If so, you will not pay a standing charge will you?
    Forgive me if I'm getting the wrong end of the stick.
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 10 March 2017 at 8:37PM
    Options
    paul_h wrote: »
    Well, there's two now. To be fair, it isn't contrary to the notification everyone else has received, it's contrary to the one YOU have received. ...

Welcome back to MSE after almost 5 years away :cool:

It seems the ebico website has since been changed:
    How does this affect me?
    If you are a customer paying either by Direct Debit or when you receive a bill, we will write to you very shortly about transferring to new, cheaper, Ebico Zero. If you decide that you wish to make this move, then you can inform us by web, email or phone and Robin Hood Energy will write to you giving you a two-week period in which you can change your mind.
    If you are a pay-as-you-go customer, you should contact us by phone (0800 093 7548) to ask for a quotation before your account is transferred to Ebico PrePay, to ensure that it will be beneficial for you to move.
    If you do not want to move, you will remain on the EquiGas/EquiPower tariff, supplied by SSE. SSE will write to tell you about any significant change to your current terms and conditions, including any increase of price, at least 30 days before it takes effect.
    If you are a customer that receives the Warm Home Discount (WHD), we recommend that you remain supplied by SSE for now.
    https://ebico.org.uk/ebico-news/new-cheaper-gas-and-electricity-tariffs-under-the-new-partnership-with-robin-hood-energy/

This is what it used to say:
    If you are a customer paying either by Direct Debit or when you receive a bill, we will write to you very shortly about transferring to new, cheaper, Ebico Zero. If you decide that you do not wish to make this move, then you can inform us by web, email or phone by the 15th of March and you will remain supplied by SSE. After the 15th of March, Robin Hood Energy will write to you giving you a further two-week period in which you can change your mind.
    See post #14
  • THX758
    THX758 Posts: 150 Forumite
    Options
    Like James Mass, I too received the “Do Nothing” letter. If you do nothing, you remain as you are for the time being. My letter does not mention the15th March. To move to Ebico Zero I have to opt in. I think it’s the PAYG customers who are being automatically switched to RHE if they don’t opt out, and all the credit customers receive the “do nothing” (or opt in) whether they’re receiving WHD or not.

Ebico, instead of listing all the circumstances, and options available for all customers in one letter have chosen to send out different letters to customers depending on how they pay for their fuel. I paid for my fuel (dual) quarterly on receipt of account. What a shambles Ebico have created. The fact that everyone on this thread has a different opinion of what to do reflects on Ebico’s incompetence.

When I joined Ebico 11 years ago everyone paid the same rate regardless. That’s how it should be. The Ebico tariff when I joined was a few pence per kwh cheaper than the SSE rates at that time with no standing charge. Now Ebico rates are well above SSE current rates. I’ve known for years that I could save money switching, but have stayed because of the equi principle. Now, apparently Ebico see nothing wrong with PP customers being charged a standing charge, and DD payers receiving a discount.

Ebico have caused this situation not SSE. I also have doubts that Council run RHE can cope with such a mass switchover. Ebico have have in the past been praised for their customer service, when in fact their billing and customer service for the last 20 years has been provided by SSE. I’ve never phoned Ebico, only SSE. When I moved to Ebico all those years ago it was because their partner was SSE.I certainly wouldn’t have moved had their partner been council run RHE. Now when everyone is trying to phone Ebico / RHE direct they can’t get through.

The day I received the Ebico letter I had a look for feedback on RHE. Although there’s not much, the feedback I found was around 50-50 and obviously pre the current situation. However, having enjoyed an excellent customer service from SSE over the years, the negative reviews I did see were enough for me. I agree with Anthorn’s view (earlier in this thread) and have also switched to SSE. Even with a standing charge I’ll pay £70 less than the Ebico Zero tariffs even with their full 5.5% reduction, and it’s fixed for a year not just to December.

I am not a PAYG customer, I pay online every three months on receipt of the bill, I just give my readings online about 10 days before the bill is due. And I had the opt out letter.
    So, the type of letter you receive doesn't depend on how you pay for your fuel.
    But I agree totally with the rest of the post.
  • atsblack
    atsblack Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    Apologies, and thanks for correcting me THX 758. Wonder how many different letters they've sent out. And people want to stay with them?

Shambles
  • atsblack
    Options
    Atsblack, please clarify are you switching to a new tariff with SSE, or are you keeping the Ebico tariff (legacy tariff) with SSE, like me? (see above) If so, you will not pay a standing charge will you?
    Forgive me if I'm getting the wrong end of the stick.

I have switched tariffs from equi power/gas (legacy) to SSE's v9 tariff which has a standing charge. Even with the standing charge, it works out £70 PA cheaper for me than both the legacy and new Zero tariffs if I pay monthly DD, and paperless.
  • WhoIsThat
    WhoIsThat Posts: 234 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 11 March 2017 at 12:08PM
    Options
    I have switched tariffs from equi power/gas (legacy) to SSE's v9 tariff which has a standing charge. Even with the standing charge, it works out £70 PA cheaper for me than both the legacy and new Zero tariffs if I pay monthly DD, and paperless.

What happened to the post you made almost 12 hours before this?

atsblack10032016.jpg

Probably gave away your disguise a bit too much didn't it?

:rotfl:
  • atsblack
    Options
    WhoIsThat wrote: »

Can't think what I'm trying to disguise!

Sorry if I've given you cause to doubt my sincerity. This is the first forum I have ever posted on, and I did so thinking my comments and opinion regarding Ebico would help others. My first post on the 10th of March was intended to be my one and only post.

THX758 courteously pointed out an error in my thought process, and I responded to his comment on 10th march 8pm.

I then noticed Whattochoose had asked me a question, and I replied to him last night. Unfortunately, in my reply I omitted to mention whattochoose’s name.This morning I deleted last nights reply and rewrote to include his name and added a bit more information for him.
  • THX758
    THX758 Posts: 150 Forumite
    Options

atsblack10032016.jpg

Call me thick if you want, but what exactly atsblack suppose to disguise?
  • whattochoose
    Options

atsblack10032016.jpg

Could you clarify?

I can't see anything particularly Machiavellian going on :huh:
  • Majestic12
    Majestic12 Posts: 142 Forumite
    Options
    I've decided to stay with Ebico in the end (well the new partnership). Forgot to call them today.

Did notice my gas supply is not listed but electricity is, even though Ebico (SSE) currently supplies both. Has anyone else come across that situation?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure