• enfield_freddy
    Options
    well they might open the envelope

that is the way to get a private parking companies attention
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,619 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I used the on-line form to cancel my licence (with a refund to be paid, which arrived back in my bank promptly) at the end of December 2010. I've never had a problem with harassment, just a quick letter when they were informed I purchased a new TV and another 2 years later which is what they say will happen. On receiving those letters I just used an on-line form to declare I still didn't need, and haven't had any problems.
    Cheryl
  • GingerBob_3
    GingerBob_3 Posts: 3,659 Forumite
    Options
    The scum must have used a reverse lookup or something to obtain my elderly relatives phone number (it's not ex-directory). Is there any evidence of them doing this elsewhere?
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Normally, they seem to use a phone number that's previously been given to them voluntarily. But if the number is not ex-directory, then there's nothing to stop them looking it up.

Your letter looks fine to me. You might want to tighten up the wording of the Cease & Desist phone calls bit. I've never seen C&D in regards to phone calls before, but there's no reason why not.
  • katejo
    katejo Posts: 3,816 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    Are you a relative
    http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/for-your-home/tenants-and-lodgers-aud2

You must be covered by a valid TV Licence to watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV if you’re a tenant or lodger

This is exactly the same as I was told by the licensing agency but each time that I raise the point here (in the section on buying and renting) I get shouted down. The last time was just last week
  • wymondham
    wymondham Posts: 6,354 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    People may find this amusing. A solicitor friend of mine who is against the license fee made an example of how out of date/silly it is....

If you use the same license model on a supermarket shopping, then everyone would be charged a fee because they can go shopping and Tesco get the fee although you only ever shop in the Coop. How ridiculous is that!
  • phoenix_w
    phoenix_w Posts: 418 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    wymondham wrote: »
    If you use the same license model on a supermarket shopping, then everyone would be charged a fee because they can go shopping and Tesco get the fee although you only ever shop in the Coop. How ridiculous is that!

It's a pretty poor analogy. The license fee funds a lot of broadcasts the commercial sector won't touch because they wouldn't be commercially viable. The shows on BBC local radio, for example, are worlds apart from the commercial stations but are highly valued by those who listen to them.

I'd correct your analogy thusly: "Everyone is charged a fee, Tesco gets the fee and uses it to provide items no-other shop will sell but are valued by many in the communities served by them alongside more mainstream goods people can get elsewhere, but people retain the option of not getting these items and buying what they want from Sainsbury's"
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    katejo wrote: »
    This is exactly the same as I was told by the licensing agency but each time that I raise the point here (in the section on buying and renting) I get shouted down. The last time was just last week

One of the remarkable things about the Licence Fee is the vast amount of misinformation that persists about it. (That some people on internet forums want to go into keyboard battles over information that is wrong is a given).

There are various reasons for the misinformation, including:-

- things that used to be true, but have changed (e.g. dealer notifications)

- things that are counter-intuitive (e.g. you only need a licence to watch or record TV broadcasts, not for catch-up, VOD, videogames, etc.)

- things that people were told by others and never thought to question (e.g. "you need a licence to own a TV" - this is not true)

- BBC/TVL isn't very forthcoming with quantity and quality of information (for a variety of reasons, none of which are really persuasive)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback