* I wish it could be Christmas every day * - It's the 2017 Christmas Chatter Thread

Options

Comments

• msgigglewick
    Options
    Peppapig wrote: »
    Thanks MRSG, my DD has a Fitbit but I think it does much more than I want it to so maybe a step counter would be better. Which one do you have if you don't mind me asking?

I use 2 atm fitbit alta and garmin vivofit3 . (different friends have different ones and i have a drawer full pmsl. dh kept changing his mind on which to use so we appear to have collected them) .. I use it mostly for the watch lol but the step tracking is a bonus. I prefer the garmin watches myself.. the Alta i can't get it to track properly.. it says i walk less steps than my dh.. who is taller than me and takes bigger strides so i don't take much notice of that one. You can get them still without the watch bit on too, they will just do the steps. Really basic and alot cheaper until you know if you find it useful. Amazon have some for a few pounds last time i looked.

Added bonus of getting out and walking for the sake of walking is my mental health.. I got quite blue when my dad passed and i've walked myself happy again (serotonin being produced more during exercise)

Went into boots today to have another look.. they had a handful of toys added to their stand but nothing that i can gift.. Nothing new gift set wise so im quite happy to bypass the sale.. we shall see! that lil devil on my shoulder might drag me in there lol doesn't mean i have to buy though right ;)
    Totally debt free wohooo 2014
    Christmas 2014
    Presents bought **** rrp **** Saved ****
    *SAVE*SAVE*SAVE*
  • freespirit66
    freespirit66 Posts: 3,226 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Afternoon everyone,

:bdaycake:HAPPY BIRTHDAY NEWTHRIFT :bdaycake:

VULPIX oh i love that drawer unit, what a lovely shape, you have painted it beautifully

MSGIGGLEWICK oh gawd i cant believe no one told you what they had all decided

MRSINVISIBLE they make me so mad all these penpushers expecting people to just turn up over 35 miles away, what a lovely thing for you to offer to take your sons friend, i hope the journey went well.

#103 1p Saving Challenge Back to Front 293.94/665.95Currently Reading: Christmas at Cedarwood Lodge - Rebecca Raisin Debt Free thanks to MSE
  • Happy_Kitties
    Options
    MSGIGGLEWICK-u were def in the right place at the right time for Christmas bargains:j
    I picked up some Christmas gift bags for myself and my mum today-75% off so really pleased. All jotted down in my book. Determined to see how much I have saved with Christmas 2017

FREE-hoping the headache has settled down for you. Re: the thank you notes, I just use some very small cards and my daughter just puts a few lines in, but we just want people to know she does appreciate her present. One note left to send but need to write a letter to go with that.

VULPIX-I love the chest of drawers, I wouldn't have the patience to complete a project like that.

TREASUREQUEEN-that's one thing I haven't managed to get, reduced pet items. If my mums dog got a sniff of any items, she would be wanting them now!!:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

MRSINVISIBLE-that Boots little devil is a nightmare,I'm having the same problem, but really don't want to go to the store, think rugby scrum:eek:
    I hope DS2s friend had the PIP assessment okay. They are a nightmare. Could they not have an assessment at home? Both myself and my mum's neighbour had our assessments at home......mind you we weren't given a choice...just told.

Still feeling slightly out of routine after Christmas, I always find January drags so much. Myself and my daughter did so much before Christmas, we were all over the place-a weekend in London with a show for an award ceremony, 4 days in Prague etc and now we just feel like we have come back down to earth with a bang......back to reality:o
    Decluttering challenge 2023🏅⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 
    Decluttering challenge 2024 🏅⭐️
  • 3forholidays
    Options
    :bdaycake: Happy birthday Newthrift! :bdaycake: Hoping that you had a lovely day.
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.

SPC No 043
    SPC 10 - £520 : SPC 11 - £975 : SPC 12 - £845 : SPC 13 - £700
  • vulpix
    vulpix Posts: 2,311 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Happy Birthday Newthrift,I hope you have had a lovely day.

Thanks for the comments about the drawers.They took 5 coats of paint and a coat of wax.I have always rescued furniture.Initially years ago when I had no money,now because I enjoy it.I did a massive wardrobe a couple of years ago and it almost finished me off.I still have a big scar on my thumb from where it fought back.I got a small wall shelf thingy for £3 a couple of months ago.It was covered in thick mahogany varnish.2 days with a veg knife and lo its a beautiful piece of oak.Looks a treat in my porch.

Mrs I you are so kind.I agree that someone who is disabled,no car and lives in the sticks shouldn't be expected to make a 70 mile round trip.

Telling you all about my boring jobs is working.Tomorrow I need to sand and undercoat the frame of some built in cupboards in the kitchen.The doors are striped pine.

I find January a drag too.Once Christmas is over I can't wait for spring.

Collected my Mum from her cataract opp.All done and she tucked into fish n chips.She has knitted me some arran cushion covers.They are beautiful.Never in a million years could I ever knit like that.Not bad for someone who was partially sighted.

Hope you are all keeping well Vx
     :
  • mrsinvisible
    mrsinvisible Posts: 1,310 Forumite
    Options
    Belated birthday wishes Newthrift, hope you had a lovely day.
    If l had a magic wand!!!!!!! grrrr. l am still fuming, got to the assessment centre yesterday to be told ''your appointment has been cancelled, we tried to phone you.2 of our assessors rang in sick this morning''
    Said assessors start work at 8 30 am, what time had they tried to phone his landline? quarter to 12 and 12. Guess what time we had to leave to get there? you got it!
    So we had to make another appointment. back there in 2 weeks time.
    Not the fault of the receptionist, or the 1 assessor there who was prepared to see him, but had already done her quota of clients for that day, and her boss said she couldn't see him. but why oh why didn't they phone earlier? The poor lad was stressed to bits and now has to wait and do it all again.
    The rest of the day was a bit of a blur, but onward and upward, don't they say?
  • LMG1305
    LMG1305 Posts: 179 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Happy Birthday for yesterday Newthrift xx

I've not done anything Christmassy for the last few weeks. Nothing in the sales have caught my eyes so I just haven't bothered. I have started to write down some ideas of stuff I'd like to do in December with the family though, like making our own advent calendar, making christmas decorations etc. Our youngest is 9 this year so I know that we only have a few more years before she becomes less interested in doing these types of things with us : (
  • Peppapig
    Peppapig Posts: 1,415 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Belated birthday wishes NEWTHRIFT, sorry I missed it but hope you had a lovely day.

MRSINVISIBLE that's terrible, letting you go all that way and then not being seen. You do have to wonder sometimes if people give any thought to their work at all. Surely if you're cancelling appointments it's obvious that you do it as early as possible. I do hope your DS was ok, it must have been so stressful.

MSGIGGLEWICK thanks for the Fitbit and step counter info, I shall take a look. Had a good walk this morning and will be interesting to see how many steps it takes.

VULPIX I'm going to try the one thing at a time approach but with housework. I really need to get back into it as DH has been in charge for the past year and he really isn't that good at it. I'll get him to help me but I need to be in charge of quality control! I think I'll list daily jobs (sinks, toilets and kitchen work surfaces) then weekly jobs, either all on one day or split into different chunks across the week, then monthly jobs like cleaning the windows. At the moment the monthly jobs are more like annual ones and everything else is hit and miss!

I don't think it's permanent but I just don't want to think about Christmas at the moment. I think it's because I really want spring to come. Having said that I heard a bit of 'Let it Snow' yesterday and it made me feel all festive.
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year :
  • Happy_Kitties
    Options
    I don't know what it is Peppapig, but I've felt really flat this January....and I never feel flat.
    I've been lucky with my Christmas bargains, fortunate to have been in the right place at the right time and I've really enjoyed setting up my present book, but even my cats seem miserable.:D

I was doing some shopping this morning, saw the Easter eggs coming onto the shelves and also thought I really want Spring to come now. The weather is just so gloomy here

Have a weekend away with my daughter and her sporting activities, so hopefully a change of scenery(with hopefully no rain) will be abit of a tonic:)
    Decluttering challenge 2023🏅⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 
    Decluttering challenge 2024 🏅⭐️
  • freespirit66
    freespirit66 Posts: 3,226 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Afternoon everyone, both kids are out tonight so an evening on my own, so beans on toast it is......... DD2 had a minor op this morning and because i didnt hear from her for hours i have been stressing, silly bint that i am. Her phone had been locked away and she was left on her own after the op for three hours so couldnt text me to let me know she was ok. Anyway she is ok.

MRSINVISIBLE oh i would have been seething, wasting all that petrol money as well as taking your time up and stressing DS friend out, now he and you have got to go through it all again. Im sure it wouldnt have hurt to have done it yesterday if the lady was willing!!!!

HAPPY KITTIES yes i am fine now thankyou

VULPIX glad that your mums op went ok and she recovered well, fish and chips sounded just what the dr ordered, those arran cushion covers sound fab you lucky thing!

PEPPAPIG i am the opposite i cant believe how quick January is going

#103 1p Saving Challenge Back to Front 293.94/665.95Currently Reading: Christmas at Cedarwood Lodge - Rebecca Raisin Debt Free thanks to MSE
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure