Updated Find the cheapest broadband discussion thread

Options

Comments

• robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    edited 21 November 2017 at 1:26AM
    Options
    Switched to Plusnet 10 days ago, and didn't receive a redemption email for the cashback. Chatted to them today and apparently I didn't "track" in their system, so they are raising it with "marketing" who will deal with it "within 5 days".

Anyone else expecting cashback: they are supposed to email details of how to claim within 10 days of activation. Apparently their system can't cope with this seemingly simple task, it looks like we have to waste our time chasing it. And this is just the first stage in their process.

In their forums there are examples of them making it difficult to get the cashback at every stage of the process. Presumably that's why their process exists, it's completely unnecessary otherwise. I'd love to know what proportion of those eligible for cashback actually receive it, and how much time they had to spend chasing it.

Had cashback 2 years running with them, once via the website, once via telephone. Both tracked without a hitch. No chasing. cheque arrived in the post ok both times.

Having a year out with Sky, I'm going back to Plusnet with cashback. 3 times lucky?
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,864 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 21 November 2017 at 6:19PM
    Options
    Had the cashback on renewing twice as well, no problem. This year no cashback but paid line rental up front and free bb, came out a little bit over the Sky offering including cashback on a 12m contract.
  • blahblahdoh
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. It looks like this is not a big issue, and, to be fair to Plusnet, they have sorted this out quickly. I've requested them to check what went wrong, in case others are affected.

Now I've raised another problem with them though: why is my line speed below the guaranteed minimum. :(
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Now I've raised another problem with them though: why is my line speed below the guaranteed minimum. :(

Is that over WiFi or the actual speed at the master socket ?
  • blahblahdoh
    Options
    It's the line speed as measured by Plusnet. Guaranteed minimum is 3Mb, but it has been 2 for the last three days, and below that previously. Their estimate is 5-8 for my line. I chatted to them about it before and they suggested rebooting the router, but that made no difference and they didn't follow it up.

I've got another 2 problems now: excessive noise on the home phone line, and inability to contact Plusnet in any way to report it. Their online chat and phone lines are all busy, and they don't allow any other form of contact. I'm thinking of raising a complaint, but I may have to actually write them a physical letter? So much for communications.

I'm fairly certain the problems are due to a loose connection at the exchange (green box) yet again (it has been the last 4 times) - it seems the connections can become dislodged by vibrations from traffic, and engineers don't seem to have any solution to it other than plugging it back in properly and waiting for the next complaint when it works loose again.
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,926 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Noise on the phone line will certainly reduce your broadband speed, as the equipment at the exchange will keep dropping the line speed until it can establish a reliable connection.

Plusnet need to get Openreach to fix it, so you do need to keep nagging them.
  • frosty12345
    Options
    Hello,

I've just received the bt price upgrade email, I have rang them and now am able to leave the contract early without penalty.

So I am on the hunt for a cheap deal.

Requirements; basic broadband, with line rental if required
    Happy to pay up front and claim cash back or vouchers etc.
    No call or tv package necessary.

I have had sky, talktalk and bt in the past all delivering a similar line speed ~7mbps and been happy with the service in every case. The only reason for switching was the end of introductory promotion.

Before taking out the contract with bt I had sky broadband. It is not until mid February 2018 that I will have been without sky for 12 months so I don't think I qualify for a new customer contract.

The cheapest contract I can remember having worked out at about £7/month equivalent after cash back etc.

The cheapest I can find today is £11/month.

What is the cheapest deal available?

What is the best price seen recently?

What is the cheapest you've ever had?

Best to take the £11/month today or hang on for a few weeks for a better deal?

Thoughts?

Thanks! 🙂
  • frosty12345
    Options
    Ps
    Cheapest deal I can see is;
    Ee standard bb & lr
    Free setup
    18month contract at 21.50£/month
    50 reward card
    145 top cash back

Equivalent £10.67/month
  • GD46
    Options
    Signed up to EE in September. Paid Line Rental and Broadband for 18 months in advance. Not happy to receive notice today that they are increasing the price and that even though I paid in advance they will increase my price by £2.00 per month.

I wasn't that happy with the broadband speeds or the supplied router anyway so will look around for a better option. But I have to ask what is the point of agreeing an 18 month contract and paying in advnace if they can unilaterally impose a price increase.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    GD46 wrote: »
    . But I have to ask what is the point of agreeing an 18 month contract and paying in advnace if they can unilaterally impose a price increase.

Tend to agree but you signed up to a contract that allowed price increases .
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback