Share Dealing Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• Searcher2
    Searcher2 Posts: 1,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I came to MSE too to hopefully quickly find the best way to sell 3 lots of shares I need to dispose of as part of my dad's probate and noticed the MSE guide seemed out of date. I just want to sell approx £1500 Old Mutual shares, £4000 BT Shares and £140 of JP Morgan Subscription shares all in paper form. If anyone could give me a pointer to a good place to do this not involving too much hassle I would be more than grateful. I normally have a lot of time to investigate threads but I am just hoping someone could help without the need to trawl. Thanks in advance.
  • Procrastinator333
    Options
    Thanks for those replies. I appreciate my example was simple, but that was to illusrtate the point. Most people investing are going to be going in for £000's, so I would be surprised if a quick bit of maths would not enable the person to spread bet and have the exact same exposure as buying shares.

I guess I hadn't really appreciated what a rolling trade was. A while back I had a play on trade fair, put £75 in and got £75 free. Played with that for a while and when I left trades open overnight, it would typically only costs a few pence. However I just had a look at their fees and that charge grows the longer you leave the trade going.

Short term, surely spread betting wins.

Medium to longer term, it should be a tough choice though. On the one hand, a medium term investment in shares would probably have lower transaction costs, but if it comes good and you fall in to CGT territory, the spread bet quickly starts to look more attractive.

I'm saving for a house, so it is going to be a while before I actually get to the point of investing in anything else, so really this is just curiousity, but thanks again.
  • tradetime
    tradetime Posts: 3,200 Forumite
    edited 2 March 2010 at 9:27AM
    Options
    Hi, Procrastinator333, as I said, Spreadbetting is not something I have had the time to fully investigate, my response to the discussion largely surrounds the issue of leverage, a tool that I am experienced with, and that is imho what spreadbetting offers by the truckload. Trouble is, there's only so much leverage one can safely manage.

Both posters, cloud_dog and Biggles are quite correct to advise a great deal of caution when utilizing leverage, as we have recently seen re the financial crisis we are still embroiled in, even those who should know better can fall foul of leverage. Which leads me to correct a previous statement.
    Leverage only becomes a problem when people don't understand it.
    or, they understand it, but lose respect for it!

I have seen it written somewhere, but can't remember where now, that due to daily costs, it tends to become counter productive to hold a rolling bet for longer than about 6 weeks, therefore as best I can see this is very definitely not a suitable alternative to investing by any stretch of the imagination.

On the short term front due to very low account opening cost it tends to appeal to people who, if they were able to open a brokerage account, would be considered grossly undercapitalized, the problem here is they will often use leverage to take far more risk than is prudent.

On the one verses the other in the short term. One way to look at it, is that with a standard brokerage account you pay commissions, and at the end of the year file a tax return, and pay any tax you owe. Spreadbetting removes this delayed tax obligation, but levies an upfront charge in the form of much higher trading costs by virtue of the spread. So the maths will boil down to how consistently successful you are at generating a tax obligation, and how that tax bill compares to the upfront spread cost.
    Hope for the best.....Plan for the worst!

"Never in the history of the world has there been a situation so bad that the government can't make it worse." Unknown
  • vansboy
    vansboy Posts: 6,483 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Can shares held in JOINT names be transfered to just one of the named 'owners' without fees or costs, or do they need to be sold & re-purchased?

Thanks in advance

VB
  • sabretoothtigger
    sabretoothtigger Posts: 10,035 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    [B]Monday March 08[/B] 

INTERIM EX-DIVIDEND DATE 
    Impala Platinum 

QUARTERLY PAYMENT DATE 
    BP 

QUARTERLY EX-DIVIDEND DATE 
    Canadian General Investments 

INTERNATIONAL ECONOMIC ANNOUNCEMENTS 
    Industrial Production (GER) (11:00) 
    Retail Sales (GER) (07:00) 
    Unemployment Rate (EU) (10:00) 

GMS 
    Blackstar Group 

FINALS 
    AFI Development GDR (Reg S), Bovis Homes Group, Chaucer Holdings,  Intertek Group, Management Consulting Group, Petrofac Ltd, [URL="http://www.digitallook.com/news/sharecast/news.cgi?view=full&story=3321614&username=&ac=#"]Renewable Energy[/URL]  Holdings, Tarsus Group, Tullett Prebon 

ANNUAL REPORT 
    Renewable Energy Holdings 

IMSS 
    SThree 

AGMS 
    Chrysalis Group 

FINAL DIVIDEND PAYMENT DATE 
    Fenner 

[B]Tuesday March 09[/B] 

INTERIMS 
    Interior Services, St Ives 

Leading Indicator Index (JPN) (05:00) 

Q3 
    Ashtead Group 

Q4 
    Endeavour International Corp, Globus Maritime 

FINALS 
    Advanced Medical Solutions, Aer Lingus Group, Antofagasta,  BrainJuicer Group, Endeavour International Corp, Gartmore Group , Globus  Maritime, Inmarsat, International Power, John Menzies, Johnson Service  Group, Liberty International, Lookers, Mears Group, OAO Severstal GDR  (Reg S), Plethora Solutions Holdings, ROK, STM Group, Weir Group 

ANNUAL REPORT 
    Liberty International 

EGMS 
    Amiad Filtration Systems, Greencore Group 

AGMS 
    JPMorgan Russian Securities 

UK ECONOMIC ANNOUNCEMENTS 
    Balance of Trade (09:30) 
    BRC Sales Monitor (11:00) 

[B]Wednesday March 10[/B] 

INTERIMS 
    Regenersis 

INTERIM DIVIDEND PAYMENT DATE 
    System C Healthcare 

INTERIM EX-DIVIDEND DATE 
    AI Claims Solutions, Ashmore Group, Character Group, Downing Planned  Exit VCT 1, Dunelm Group, Hargreaves Lansdown, Haynes Publishing Group,  Keystone Inv Trust, Kier Group, London Finance & Investment Group,  Phoenix IT Group, Quayle Munro, Ricardo Group, Sportingbet 

QUARTERLY PAYMENT DATE 
    Canaccord Financial Inc., Prodesse Investment Ltd. 

QUARTERLY EX-DIVIDEND DATE 
    Orpak Systems, Premier [URL="http://www.digitallook.com/news/sharecast/news.cgi?view=full&story=3321614&username=&ac=#"]Energy[/URL] & Water  Trust, Virgin Media Inc. 

Consumer Price Index(GER) (07:00) 
    Corporate Goods Price Index (JPN) (23:50) 
    ECB Report (EU) (09:00) 
    Industrial Production (EU) (10:00) 
    New Home Sales (AUS) (00:00) 
    Wholesales Inventories (US) (15:00) 

Q4 
    ReneSola 

GMS 
    CVS Group, Glisten 

FINALS 
    Ark Therapeutics, Brady, Chime Communications, Costain Group,  Glanbia, Interserve, Oxford Biomedica, ReneSola, SQS Software Quality  Systems, StatPro Group, Standard Life, Terrace Hill, Yule Catto 

AGMS 
    CareTech Holding, Interbulk Group, Invista European Real Estate  Trust, Sperati (Ca) 

FINAL EX-DIVIDEND DATE 
    Admiral Group, Alphameric, Brewin Dolphin, British American Tobacco,  CareTech Holding, Chrysalis VCT, CRH, Edinburgh Inv Trust, F&C  Commercial Property Trust, FBD Holdings, Foresight 2 VCT, Foresight 2  VCT 'C' Shares, Future, Goldenport, Hargreaves Lansdown, Heavitree,  Invesco Income Growth Trust, Lavendon Group, Low & Bonar, LSL  Property Services, Maintel Holdings, Meggitt, Morgan Sindall, Paddy  Power, Premier Energy & Water Trust, RIT Capital Partners, Serco  Group, Shire Plc, Spirent Communications, Standard Chartered, Temple Bar  Inv Trust, TUI Travel 

[B]Thursday March 11[/B] 

INTERIMS 
    Origin Enterprises 

Hartest Holdings 

Balance of Trade (US) (13:30) 
    Gross Domestic Product (JPN) (23:50) 
    RBA Bulletin (AUS) (00:00) 
    Unemployment Rate (AUS) (00:00) 

Q3 
    Queen's Walk Investment Ltd. 

GMS 
    City of London PR, ReGen Therapeutics, Weatherly International 

FINALS 
    Arbuthnot Banking Group, Charlemagne Capital, Cineworld Group,  Clarkson, Computacenter, Dignity, Dolphin Capital Investors, Flying  Brands, Johnston Press, Morrison (Wm) Supermarkets, Old Mutual Omega  Insurance Holdings,Tikit 

AGMS 
    Avesco Group, Jupiter Second Split Trust Geared Shares, Sanderson  Group 

[B]Friday March 12[/B] 

INTERIMS 
    JD Wetherspoon 

Advance UK Trust, Fiske, Impala Platinum, Invesco Perpetual AiM VCT,  John Swan, Murgitroyd Group 

QUARTERLY PAYMENT DATE 
    Carnival 

Retail Sales (US) (13:30) 

Q3 
    Ocean Power Technologies 

GMS 
    Omega Insurance Holdings 

FINALS 
    Aga Rangemaster Group, Independent Media Distribution, Mercator Gold 

EGMS 
    Getmobile Europe, Matica 

AGMS 
    Banco Bilbao Vizcaya Argentaria SA, Hyundai Motor Company GDR (Reg  S), KT Corp. ADR, Sk Telecom ADS, Throgmorton Trust 

FINAL DIVIDEND PAYMENT DATE 
    Armour Group, Churchill China, Morant Wright Japan Income Trust,  Octopus Phoenix VCT, Pressure Technologies

• stevie777_2
    Options
    Hi,
    Just some quick advice if you don't mind.

The investment company I've used to buy shares in the past, recently phoned me and asked me about 5 minutes worth of questions, mostly about my financial circumstances, how I might be inclined to invest in the future, and if I had any ethical reasons not to invest in any areas. A month or so later they've phoned again and said they need my signature on the paperwork, regarding what I've told them about my circumstances over the phone. I've not instructed them to invest for me, but have shown interest in future recommendations they might have. What exactly am I going to be signing, is this normal ?

ta
  • prudryden
    prudryden Posts: 2,075 Forumite
    Options
    stevie777 wrote: »
    Hi,

The investment company I've used to buy shares in the past, recently phoned me and asked me about 5 minutes worth of questions, mostly about my financial circumstances, how I might be inclined to invest in the future, and if I had any ethical reasons not to invest in any areas. A month or so later they've phoned again and said they need my signature on the paperwork, regarding what I've told them about my circumstances over the phone. I've not instructed them to invest for me, but have shown interest in future recommendations they might have. What exactly am I going to be signing, is this normal ?

ta

They would need to know that any recommendations they give to you are suitable for your circumstances i.e. risk factor, objectives and your time frame.
    FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
  • xyy123
    xyy123 Posts: 61 Forumite
    Options
    prudryden wrote: »
    They would need to know that any recommendations they give to you are suitable for your circumstances i.e. risk factor, objectives and your time frame.

It sounds a little odd to me.

If they're an execution-only broker which is how you have used them in the past then they wouldn't need to ask such questions since they don't give advice.

If they are an advisory firm and they have given you advice in the past on investments, it is likely they should already have conducted something like this. There are two forms of advisory relationships: advisory managed and advisory non-managed.

Advisory managed takes into account your wider circumstances and risk profile and recommends investments based on your wider portfolio.

Advisory non-managed gives advice on specific investments without doing this. For example, you ring up and say, "What do you think of HSBC shares?" and they say, "We think they're good/bad and recommend a buy/sell." They don't say something like, "We don't think they're right for you as, looking at your portfolio, you are currently overexposed to financials."

Maybe you have had advisory non-managed relationship in the past and they are now switching to advisory managed? I thought it might have been a market research call but not if they've asked you to sign it.
  • Rank_90
    Rank_90 Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    prudryden wrote: »

No one requires a signature on a conversation you had. Dont sign anything. Sounds well dodgy. Stay clear.
  • Rank_90
    Rank_90 Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    stevie777 wrote: »
    Hi,

ta

Sorry my last post was intended for you.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback