Plusnet broadband top pick, we want your feedback

Options

Comments

• Curly
    Curly Posts: 398 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    im thinking of going with the 18 months at £25.55 for the fiber broadband, unfortunately i couldn't get the sse deal as im with sky the now :(

how do you lot find them are they a good provider?
    If you want to get with me there's some things you got to know,
    I like my beats fast and my base down low
  • sandspider2000
    Options
    Has anyone else noticed Plusnet service going downhill recently? And service getting worse? Having serious trouble trying to get them to fix a broadband and phone fault, never mind the refund I'm asking for! No one responds to support cases unless I contact them first.
  • forestlands
    Options
    The reason I came here is the same as yours. Plusnet service is going down, has been for a long time! Not easy people to get on with! I substantiate this as had help refused when i had difficulties transferring over from BT and getting my broadband working. One person was particularly rude and told me Plusnet only dealt with problems up to the point where the cable went into the house. I have phoned them recently, I have a problem with very slow broadband during the day and fast through the night. Also, if I'm using my computer during the day and leave it for a few minuets, answer the door, put the kettle on or answer the phone I loose my broadband connection. Message come up and tells me. no internet connection! Noticed the green lights on the router/hub stop flickering, presume it's not working then. The last man I spoke to was also very rude, i explained what was happening, he said sarcastically "so the green lights don't flicker"! I was describing the problem and what I had observed. Wonder if they think us oldies are stupid, certainly talked to me as if I am. I'm fed up sitting waiting for slow broadband during the day, I have things to do. When I asked Plusnet about it's traffic prioritisation, or traffic management policy, the man went on the defensive, said they didn't do that! The bottom line is I'm sure they do! I'm in my 70's use my computer for on line shopping, news and odds and sods. I have a herd of dairy goats, 23 in all, to care for so don't sit on line all day. It's most annoying when i do go on line during the day and my broadband is so slow. Like watching paint dry!

Anyone else have these problems. Will be changing as soon as i have time to sort out a new ISP!
  • forestlands
    Options
    I would not recommend Plusnet due to their traffic management, which I feel - from experience, is excessive! Also, found them helpful till you paid! I needed help when I moved over from BT, they didn't give help, they told me! I pointed out other companies did, BT had helped when I moved over to them! When I told them we had nothing like this in the 1940' and 50's when I went to school, I felt they didn't give a jot! Upset me at the time! I wouldn't go there, look at reviews and shop around! Hope you find a good ISP, I would try Tesco - I have been with them and would recommend them!
  • Shahzad.ali
    Options
    Hi,

I didn't get a option to pay upfront when signing up. Do I need to ring up plusnet to pay the lower amount upfront instead of monthly payments?

Thanks,
    Hi all,
    In our broadband guide Plusnet broadband is in our top picks.

We're after feedback from people who have applied for this deal and want to know your experience and if you had any trouble getting the broadband.

Thanks for all help in advance
  • huddsta
    huddsta Posts: 715 Forumite
    Options
    Has anyone managed to get the deal; http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/cheap-broadband#plusnetbb

I'm taken to the PlusNet sign up pages but it only offers 18 month fibre contracts once I put my details in.
    Bet match total as of 04/10 = God Knows + About £1000 Quidco. Time for Mrs Huddsta to have a crack!!!

The Bronze Challenge - earn £250 in profits =£73.32
    2010 Posts: 5,360 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 23 August 2016 at 7:57AM
    Options
    huddsta wrote: »
    Has anyone managed to get the deal; http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/cheap-broadband#plusnetbb

I'm taken to the PlusNet sign up pages but it only offers 18 month fibre contracts once I put my details in.

You need to use the correct link from YOUR LINK to get the deal.

Broadband choices link.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I have just joined plusnet, logged into my account and see they will charge me £48 if i leave during contract and another £30 regardless of in contract or not - if i join a non BT supplier!!!! !!!!!!!
    Nowhere did they tell me this before i joined and neither does the MSE page telling us what a great deal it is mention this.

so basically if you leave at end of contract for anyone other than a BT service you will have to pay to leave even though the contract will have ended - outrageous - can this be legal - basically you cannot ever leave BT without having to pay to leave BT.

Not impressed as the whole point of changing supply each year is to get the best deals, but this £30 charge means you can only switch to a BT service or you have to pay to leave - why is MSE not aware of this underhanded behaviour - they should factor in another £30 to the total cost.
    MSE say it will be £110.88 for the year or equiv £9.24/mth - actually it will be £140.88 for the year, if you leave to join a non BT supplier at the end of contract - which is very likely you will want to as most suppliers offering deals that beat BT prices are going to be Non BT - not being able to join non BT services will severely restrict the deals you can sign up for.

Can anyone from the MSE admin team comment on this and see to it that this info is posted on the MSE cheap broadband page

here is the info from my account

Account Summary
    Date Order Number Product Cost Order Status Other
    22/08/2016 Unlimited Broadband £48.00(upon cancellation)
    Cessation charge £30.00(upon cancellation) Activated

Here is there legal blurb that goes with the charge

What is this charge?
    It's a charge set by BT Wholesale (who supply our broadband network), to cover the cost of removing broadband from a phone line. It's sometimes called a cessation charge.
    How much is it?
    It's £30 for residential customers and £25 for business customers.
    When would I have to pay it?
    You'd only need to pay the charge if the broadband service is being taken off your phone line. Typical reasons for this are:
    the phone line that your broadband's on has been cut off
    you cancel your broadband account without switching to another provider
    you switch to a provider who uses their own network (like a cable provider)
    you move to a provider who uses their own equipment in your exchange (often called Local Loop Unbundling)
    If any of these happen, you'll need to pay the charge, even if the minimum term of your contract is over.
    The good news is, there's no charge if you move to another broadband service that also uses a BT line for its network.
    2010 Posts: 5,360 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 7 September 2023 at 6:32PM
    Options
    jeb77 wrote: »
    here is the info from my account

Account Summary
    Date Order Number Product Cost Order Status Other
    22/08/2016 Unlimited Broadband £48.00(upon cancellation)
    Cessation charge £30.00(upon cancellation) Activated

Here is there legal blurb that goes with the charge

What is this charge?
    It's a charge set by BT Wholesale (who supply our broadband network), to cover the cost of removing broadband from a phone line. It's sometimes called a cessation charge.
    How much is it?
    It's £30 for residential customers and £25 for business customers.
    When would I have to pay it?
    You'd only need to pay the charge if the broadband service is being taken off your phone line. Typical reasons for this are:
    the phone line that your broadband's on has been cut off
    you cancel your broadband account without switching to another provider
    you switch to a provider who uses their own network (like a cable provider)
    you move to a provider who uses their own equipment in your exchange (often called Local Loop Unbundling)
    If any of these happen, you'll need to pay the charge, even if the minimum term of your contract is over.
    The good news is, there's no charge if you move to another broadband service that also uses a BT line for its network.

It`s a pity you didn`t read the "legal blurb" I`ve hightlighted before your rant.
  • oldagetraveller
    Options
    I suspect this is the line that jeb is talking about. Not the line you have highlighted. So it's a pity you didn't read jeb's post thoroughly.:)
    "you move to a provider who uses their own equipment in your exchange (often called Local Loop Unbundling)"

e.g., Sky LLU, TalkTalk LLU.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport