Honeywell CM927

Options

Comments

• killban1971
    Options
    Well,

I contacted Honeywell visa the contact page on the website:-

Hello, I purchased a Honeywell CM927 Wireless thermostat in December 2012. It has worked flawlessly since then. However, the display has now started to degrade. Basically, various elements within the display are not showing. The batteries have been changed in case that was an issue, however, the problem with the display remains. I understand that this item is out of warranty, but, I expected this £120 item to last at least 5 years without needing more than new batteries. I am very pleased with the performance of the unit, but, to have the whole product let down by a faulty display is very disappointing. Please read the postings on this link to see that it is not an isolated problem:- (LINK REMOVED)

Also, please read the 1 star ratings on Amazon that again show this to be an inherent problem with this unit:- (LINK REMOVED)

I have taken pictures of the display, and I have also taken a picture of the rear of the unit to show the production sticker. Sadly, I cannot attach these pictures to this enquiry. I eagerly await your response.

After a fairly quick reply asking for a picture of the production code sticker, and proof of purchase, this is the response I got:-

Thank you for contacting the Honeywell Consumer Support team, your case reference is [20131226].

I can see from the datecode that your thermostat is still within our leniency plan. I have started the exchange procedure, and you will receive a new thermostat as soon as possible. The parcel is being shipped from the Netherlands, so it will take a bit longer than you are expected of a domestic parcel. The faulty unit you can return to us free of charge in the return envelope that is included with your new thermostat.

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us again.

I suggest anyone else in this situation goes direct to Honeywell.
  • Grosv
    Options
    As with several others in this thread I have had my Honeywell controller for around 3.5 years and suddenly the LCD screen has decided to scramble! I called Customer Support and after a short wait holding I got through to a most helpful individual. Unintentionally I told him that the controller was 2.5 yrs old by mistake. On that basis he said that if I provide proof of purchase then they will replace the unit free of charge!! :T

When I found my proof of purchase I realised that I had made a mistake with its age.

I have now emailed the Proof of purchase and await their response ...... and of course will let you all know the outcome as soon as i hear from them.
  • Grosv
    Options
    Reporting as promised,

I contacted Honeywell and explained that the controller was 3.5 years old and I provided proof of the Boiler Installation by enclosing the installation report. Within 24 hours I received an email to confirm that they will replace it FREE OF CHARGE and that I can expect to receive a new one within 7 days!:j

Once in a while one is truly surprised by GOOD service from a manufacturer - Take a bow Honeywell :T
  • going_off_grid
    Options
    Strip the unit and remove the circuit board (just a few plastic clips, no screws). Remove the LCD assembly from the circuit board (more plastic clips and an eight pin push connection). Removed the LCD unit from the clear plastic housing (more plastic clips). Finally heat up the plastic ribbon where it is stuck to the circuit board (hair dryer will do trick) and then firmly press it onto the circuit board... probably worth doing this several times; in effect you are remating the ribbon to the circuit board by softening the adhesive. Put it all back together and it should be working again.
  • dampsquib
    dampsquib Posts: 179 Forumite
    Options
    Strip the unit and remove the circuit board ........
    Put it all back together and it should be working again.
    I might try for 100% tomorrow.
    going_off_grid - I can't thank you enough!
    I wouldn't have dreamed that a fix would be possible, but after reading your DIY instructions, I opened my unit up, as instructed, hinged away the LCD unit from the smaller circuit board, heated up the white pad, stroked it back firmly onto the circuit board (within the pins just off the edge of my desk), reassembled the unit and got back 70% of my display. I then repeated the process, and I've now got about 90% back. I might try one more session tomorrow and try for the full 100%.
    I think my unit is about 5 years old, so I guess Honeywell wouldn't now replace it, though I've been having display problems for something like 3 years, and it seems obvious that the build quality isn't what you'd expect for the unit's high price.
    At first when a few odd bits of the display vanished, it was just irritating, but you could still see enough to operate the unit. I guess I should have got on to Honeywell as soon as the problems started. Gradually more and more of the numbers and letters would vanish. I found it particularly bad in the summer months, but that didn't matter as it wasn't needed. When temperatures started to drop in the Autumn, just as I was about to complain to Honeywell, bits of the display would slowly reappear, and I'd make it through another winter. I guess temperature and humidity changes were the cause of the display vanishing and then slowly reappearing. Sadly this year, hardly any of the display remained, and it showed no sign of coming back. I was planning to moan to H, but then would probably have ended up having to buy an alternative unit.
    When my plumber first fitted the CM927, along with a new boiler, I thought it was brilliant and was happy to recommend its features to friends. The extra facilities it offered, I found really useful, but sadly it's short life didn't justify its high price.
    Now though, thanks to g_o_g's instructions, it looks like I've been able to bring my unit back from the dead .... for a few more years perhaps? Fingers crossed!
    I'm amazed that I managed to open it up, and reassemble it, without managing to break any clips or connections.
    :T Thank You g_o_g :T
  • Ruski
    Ruski Posts: 1,628 Forumite
    Options
    Just done this as my replacement unit was on the blink too....

Now works perfectly (for now ;) )

Many thanks going-off-grid for sharing your expertise... would never have thought about how to solve this....

Can you solve a broken rear-window demister in the same way ;)

Thanks again

Russ
    Perfection takes time: don't expect miracles in a day :D
  • gwapenut
    gwapenut Posts: 1,360 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Can I ask people about the date codes on the replacements you received - were they new, or older and reconditioned?
  • dampsquib
    dampsquib Posts: 179 Forumite
    edited 13 October 2016 at 12:08AM
    Options
    My numbers won't help, as I'm still on my original machine from summer 2010, but I'm curious to know where the date info is displayed. Is it in coded format?
    Numbers on my machine are ....
    Label:
    CMS927B1049
    1020 3
    T40
    42011108-703
    Embossed in plastic on rear of unit:
    42010974-001
    Perhaps the 2010 in the latter is the year of manufacture?
    There are other numbers on the paperwork, but I guess they just relate to versions of the manual, etc?
    So .... where is the date of manufacture stored?

I've read conflicting stuff on Amazon. Some say 'Moneywell':) won't replace after a year, but others says that they are replacing units up to 5 years old. Neither limit helps me, even though it was about 3 years ago that I first experienced bits of the display disappearing. I plan to moan to 'Moneywell', but thanks to g-o-g's fix, I've got virtually all of my display back for the time being.
  • gwapenut
    Options
    My numbers are the same as yours, both printed and embossed (I bought in late 2012) except mine is 1230 3 instead of 120 3.

Not sure I'm any the wiser on a date code so I don't see how anyone can answer my question!

Now the question is, do i try and exchange a 3 year old unit with minor display problems for another unit of potentially unknown age... especially now g-o-g's fix is proven.

Last week it started failing to switch the heating off, which is what prompted me to look at this thread, but I think it just lost connection with the wired unit - it's been fine since. I'd noticed minor corruption with my display and thought nothing of it until this thread made me realise it could get a lot worse ... but again, we have a fix for that.
  • gwapenut
    Options
    PS Honeywell say:
    If this is a wireless model:
    The model number and date code can be found on the back of the unit. You may need to take it off the wall mount or table stand. There should be a sticker with model and date code. The model begins with CM. Please also provide the numbers below the model number
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure