Looking for the silver lining

Options

Comments

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,296 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Have you got a local FB buying / selling page?
    Ours is fab :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • *Robin*
    *Robin* Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Stoptober Survivor
    Options
    Sun_Addict wrote: »
    Coffee-wise I just think he likes sitting in the coffee shop. We've got a Tassimo with Costa pods but he says it's not the same.

People-watching, knowing anyone looking at him won't see what he's been through, feeling safe from stumbles because he's seated, overall 'normal life resumed'?
    ..Can well understand the attraction for him, tbh.

Also feel for you - I'd be the same in not wanting to 'waste' so much time in a coffee shop after being at work all week, not to mention the unnecessary expense.

Don't know what to suggest, except giving MrSA and the Carer "messages" to do in town, then they can go for coffee on the way home (on the way home being important - shopping is finished when they get to the coffee shop!)?

Hope MrSA is brighter today after a good night's sleep, and that the van's departure is achieved without mishap (also that your TV decides to work properly before then!).

Yay to cuddles with new baby. :)
  • beanielou
    Options
    Great idea on 'jobs' from Robin :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

• Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,288 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hello all

I try to keep him busy but he gets so tired. I enjoy the coffee shop visits myself but only when I've got time to relax. We ended up going Sunday morning before we went to the festival. Then we had lunch after the festival. The festival was good but Mr SA couldn't walk round much even though he took his walking stick. We had to keep sitting down all the time.

He sold the van yesterday, not to We Want Any Car but to a mechanic friend of his carer. He got £1050 cash for it so he's pleased but sad to see it go. The drive looks huge now. He and the carer are going to jet wash it today. The money is going in the bank, not using any of it to pay off debt. It's up to him what he does with the money really, although he says he'll leave it in my hands.

Weighed in this morning and I've stayed the same. Only myself to blame as I haven't been tracking properly. So this week's aim is to track EVERY day.

Debt wise I paid another £5 off when Halifax Reward was paid in so now standing at £1795. VSP has had a bit added to it so this is now £242.18 and shaping up nicely to cover Christmas.

Mr SA still not too well, he's had a sore throat for a few days now. Keeping an eye on it and will get him a GP appointment if it carries on.
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
  • groatie_queen
    Options
    Sunaddict, do you live within reach of a Waitrose or John Lewis? Both do a free card that gives each card holder a free cuppa (tea or coffee I have a latte) once a day. No need to buy anything in store. The Waitrose cafe I frequent also has newspapers to read.
    If you have a talent, use it in every which way possible. Don't hoard it. Don't dole it out like a miser. Spend it lavishly like a millionaire intent on going broke.

-- Brendan Francis

• Sun_Addict
    Options
    No unfortunately not. There's a very small Waitrose in the city centre which I have a card for but even that's not near where I work let alone our home. I haven't even taken advantage of the free coffee yet, it's just too far out of my way. There's no cafe in it so no use to Mr SA. I've got a John Lewis card which gives me free coffee and a cake once a month which I do take advantage of.

He's already started asking if we can go for a coffee on Saturday! It was the first thing he said this morning.
  • debtfreewannabe321
    Options
    £1000, that's a lot of coffee shop trips i'd say :T (just kidding :p)
    MAY 2024 GOALS MFW #17 EF- £205.75/300 ~ NSD 0/15 ~ FOOD & TOILETRIES BUDGET £133.59 / £500 ~ MOP- 0/50
    MORTGAGE BALANCE JAN 1st £99224.13 ~~~ MAY 1st £
  • beanielou
    Options
    Would it be worth getting a M & S bank aaccount?
    You pay a tenner a month & you get free coffee vouchers & a birthday afternoon tea vouchers.
    Worth a shot?

• Sun_Addict
    Options
    Thanks for your suggestion Beanie but Mr SA will only drink coffee in Costa or Cafe Nero. There are loads of really nice independent coffee shops in the city centre and he won't go to any of them. Annoying I know! All I can say is as long as we have the money to buy his coffees then I can't begrudge him.

I've been trying to get him into the doctors today as he's still got a sore throat and a smelly sore red patch has appeared on his legs. I've phoned loads of times and no one has answered - wonder if their phoneline is down. Will have to try again tomorrow now as they close Thursday afternoons.
  • Buffythedebtslayer
    Options
    Hope you have got a doctors appointment ok SA X Nothing drives me more nuts than trying to get a doctors appointment!

Have a lovely coffee tomorrow :)

Big hugs XXX
    Nevertheless she persisted.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills