PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Year a house was built???

Options

Comments

• Ladywriter1968
    Options
    Loui1979 wrote: »
    ok, go into https://www.esure.com then Home insurance as if you were going to get a quote for Home insurance. Then enter your details - you house number then its postcode. Once you have completed the info go to next and the rest of your address comes up automatically, Wait for it........... INCLUDING THE YEAR IT WAS BUILT.

HOW MAD IS THAT? SORRY I DIDNT FIND THIS OUT BEFORE TO ALL THAT HAVE SPENT MONEY ON THE LAND REGISTRY WEBSITE.

P.S HOPE YOU ALL GIVE ME A BIG THANKS!
    :xmassign: :snow_laug :snow_grin :xmassmile :xmastree: :rudolf: :santa2: :p
    I thought I had better tell you this is not accurate, I typed in these flats that I used to live in and I moved out of these flats in 1978 but according to that they were not built until 1979.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I thought I had better tell you this is not accurate, I typed in these flats that I used to live in and I moved out of these flats in 1978 but according to that they were not built until 1979.
    Like others before you on this thread, you have not noticed you are responding to a VERY old comment.

Or have you...?
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,092 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    She probably isn't esure.
  • Land_Registry
    Land_Registry Posts: 5,782 Organisation Representative
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 13 August 2012 at 8:34AM
    Options
    Richard Webster and G_M have summed it up perfectly form a LR perspective - THANK YOU

Whilst the land register may contain clues as to the age of a building it's main purpose is to confirm current ownership, current interests/rights etc and the current general boundaries of the property.

It has never been a record of buildings, dwellinghouses or messuages.

Checking the land register and plan online (or by post) is relatively simple and inexpensive (currently a minimum of £4 online and £8 by post) but it is always important to read and understand our Online Services and the additional information under About this Service before doing so in order to understand what you are likely to get for your money.

Public Guide 1 also provides guidance on what information we hold and how to obtain it but do bear in mind that no one register or one plan will be the same and some will carry more information than others.

Finally, and in addition to Richard Webster's post above, I would add that two other sources of information can also be of use when trying to establish the age of a building
    1. Local Authority planning records - whilst these will vary from LA to LA (age of records and how they are kept) they can assist in identifying when planning permission was granted, which is then a useful indicator as to age; and
    2. Ordnance Survey maps - whilst OS will not survey every new build they will often do so after larger developments. Comparing such maps and the date when drawn can give a clue as to the age of a property.

So establishing the age of a particular building is no easy task, especially with older buildings. Most will simply have to gather any available clues and make an educated guess - although in some areas you might be lucky as a builder might have used a brick which had the year etched on it!
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Land Registry. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • heygringo
    Options
    Prior to spotting this thread, fervently pointed out by some as being started in 2005, I am purchasing a property of which my conveyancing solicitor says she can't answer my question as to the age of the property?? I once had the full title deeds of a previous property that I have now sold (built app 1912) to hand also the title deeds to the property I have just sold, to purchase the present property in question going right back to the original land owner. I am now told that such deeds are now destroyed when a property changes ownership, & basic details are transfered to digital info. What a shame these historic details are being lost in this way. Furthermore, when applying for house ins etc, what does one enter in the "age of property" box?

Daft innit :mad:
  • cathybird
    cathybird Posts: 13,318 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Does it matter if it's an old thread or not? I've just googled how to find out when my house was built and this thread came up. It's not a question people are going to stop asking anytime soon.

Besides, give it two more years and the thread will have been going for a decade :)
    In April I am taking a break from buying: Books
  • Candlepower
    Options
    Thanks to all for this thread, I also googled how to find out the date my house was built and up came this thread, the Land Registry goes back to 1912 but I have documentation to say the house had already been built (probably for many years previously) in 1898.
  • Stigofthedump_2
    Options
    I'm trying to find out how old my house is because we want to insulate - sites say houses built around 20's normally have solid walls, we think our was build in 30's, but surveyors say we dont have cavity walls.
    I've decided to email everyone in our village to see if they can shed some light - some of them have lived there far longer than me! Might be worth a try if you have neighbours details....
  • robedha1
    robedha1 Posts: 156 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I'm confused about the age of the house I'm buying as I have been given 2 different dates. 1900 by the EA and the valuation report says 1850. It is a stone built terraced house. I thought about looking at old maps of the area to try to get an idea of its age.
    Starting mortgage balance 22/04/2013 £71,250
    Overpayments to date £410
    Current mortgage balance £70,650
  • thelem
    thelem Posts: 774 Forumite
    Options
    What is their source? They are probably just guessing based on the date that the area was developed.
    Note: Unless otherwise stated, my property related posts refer to England & Wales. Please make sure you state if you are discussing Scotland or elsewhere as laws differ.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure