PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparedness for when

Options

Comments

• ginnyknit
    ginnyknit Posts: 3,718 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yes Mar I had a look and one of the camera sites is down. it was a very strange feeling last night watching them and waiting for something to happen. I was amazed that I could look through the camera on the statue of Liberty.

2Tonsils, we wait with bated breath for the next news from you, thank goodness you are prepped ready.

battening down the hatches here as we are cold and getting on each others nerves. The leccy company want more money and we are determined not to pay it. Wouldnt mind if we had the house like an oven, we only heat the living room. I am getting a tad obsessive about switching things off and just looking forward to my new halogen oven thingy that Ds is buying me at the end of the month.
    Clearing the junk to travel light
    Saving every single penny.
    I will get my caravan
  • BessieBooBoo
    Options
    missrlr wrote: »
    DH sighed at me when I bought more water and asked which apocalyptic end of the world program I had seen earlier today

LOL - OH is getting quite carried away here. Is planning to turn off gch and live on free wood in the m-f stove, camp in the garden, etc...

BBB
    My dog: Ears as high ranging in frequency as a bat. Nose as sensitive as a bloodhound. Eyes as accurate as Mr. Magoo's!
    Prepper and saver: novice level. :A #81 Save 12k in 2013! £3.009.00/£12,000
    #50 C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z. HairyGardenTwineWrangler & MAW OH: SpadeSplatterer. DDog:Hairy hotwater bottle and seat warmer!
  • 2tonsils
    2tonsils Posts: 915 Forumite
    Options
    missrlr wrote: »
    Blimey now there is a change for the Greek system. Hope your prepping is all Ok.
    I am working out how to get DH more involved in this, he was looking for wind up torches for me, this is an improvement.

Honestly, I have yet to meet a man who doesn't love a gadget.....every man who has set eyes on my solar powered /dynamo torch from Lidl's has gone into ecstasy over it. It took me ages to convince one it wasn't a touch screen mobile phone as well....get him into the gadgetry and into coming up with inventive ways to do things should the power/water/whatever go off and you will have him hooked for life.......ask me how I know .......:T
    “The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come. When in a state of security he does not forget the possibility of ruin.” Confucius (551 BC - 479 BC):A
  • 2tonsils
    Options
    That made me forget what I came back on here for...I have just been sent a great link to live updates. There are bulletins from local areas as they are hit by the hurricane and some photos and videos posted by people as well. One report by a friend on face book just freaked me out though, she says her garden is full of frogs and squirrels that keep throwing themselves against the patio windows to try to get in from the coming storm....that is scary stuff!

Here is the link...

http://live.reuters.com/Event/Tracking_Storm_Sandy
    “The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come. When in a state of security he does not forget the possibility of ruin.” Confucius (551 BC - 479 BC):A
  • BessieBooBoo
    Options
    Hello all

A shock to hear what's going on - used to live in Canada, and hope everyone there is ok; and 2T - hope you and OH, and all are well; talk about batten down the hatches all over the place...

Feel guilty relief that we are prepping here in UK - in case we do get the tail-end hurricane.

Please keep up posted all, would like to know you are safe (dry) and well.

BBB
    My dog: Ears as high ranging in frequency as a bat. Nose as sensitive as a bloodhound. Eyes as accurate as Mr. Magoo's!
    #50 C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z. HairyGardenTwineWrangler & MAW OH: SpadeSplatterer. DDog:Hairy hotwater bottle and seat warmer!
  • BessieBooBoo
    Options
    I love this thread....

I was thinking whilst on the bus 'up town innit', about TBBT of all things - a certain Sheldon Cooper and his 'C' men; which was supposed to be like Professor Xavier and his 'X' -men.

Which then got me thinking about C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z. Being as 'C' (wo)men is already taken (thankfully), does that make us all Vanoonoo's 'V' (wo)men?

'V' for vivacious, vehemently defending our survival, venturesome, (in)ventive, vituals, etc...

If so, here's yet another daft thought: do we need a catchphrase?

P for protecting our assets (be it store cupboard, home, family), from anything from mealy bugs, rats or 2 legged pests (or zombies)

R for rotators (not us, our stock!)

O for originals - inventive, crazy, eccentric....

T for teaching skills/knowledge to others, teaching ourselves

E for education and awareness of what's going on locally, nationally, globally

C for er, seCret, as in our secret CRAPOLLZ club, secret prepping, cetera.

T is for 'Told you so!', to be announced in loud, ringing tones when the SHTF, when you've smugly saved your stocks, now the shelves are being emptied (as in US shops!), the floods/drought/austeritymeasures/zombies hit the fan....

BBB

Note to self, must get out more.... :)
  • lally666young
    Options
    Got hold of DH'S family and they are safe and out of the way. So I am a happy bunny now.
    Has anyone seen my last marble:A:A:A:A
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.LZ member Soylent Green Supervisor
  • Possession
    Possession Posts: 3,262 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry, a bit (US) political, but when you watch you'll see the relevance to this thread!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TiXUF9xbTo&feature=youtu.be
  • 2tonsils
    Options
    Thought you might like to see this report which I found earlier....its from 1997 and was a theoretical scenario for a hurricane hitting New York.....they named it Hurricane Sandy after one of the operatives on the emergency exercise........too much of a coincidence??? You couldn't make it up could you?
    http://www.weca.org/SET/report/node6.html
  • 2tonsils
    Options
    I love this thread....

I was thinking whilst on the bus 'up town innit', about TBBT of all things - a certain Sheldon Cooper and his 'C' men; which was supposed to be like Professor Xavier and his 'X' -men.

Which then got me thinking about C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z. Being as 'C' (wo)men is already taken (thankfully), does that make us all Vanoonoo's 'V' (wo)men?

'V' for vivacious, vehemently defending our survival, venturesome, (in)ventive, vituals, etc...

If so, here's yet another daft thought: do we need a catchphrase?

P for protecting our assets (be it store cupboard, home, family), from anything from mealy bugs, rats or 2 legged pests (or zombies)

R for rotators (not us, our stock!)

O for originals - inventive, crazy, eccentric....

T for teaching skills/knowledge to others, teaching ourselves

E for education and awareness of what's going on locally, nationally, globally

C for er, seCret, as in our secret CRAPOLLZ club, secret prepping, cetera.

T is for 'Told you so!', to be announced in loud, ringing tones when the SHTF, when you've smugly saved your stocks, now the shelves are being emptied (as in US shops!), the floods/drought/austeritymeasures/zombies hit the fan....

BBB

Note to self, must get out more.... :)

Personally I can hardly wait for the I TOLD YOU SO bit! I was having this conversation at the party I went to the other night. A friend asked me why I no longer ran the local alert group and I told her I had received some really rude comments about doing it, which called me a sh** stirrer and scaremonger when I was trying to warn people so they could do something about it...like prepping. I refuse to go back to running it, as far as I am concerned they can choose not to listen and do what they like now. I have warned my friends and the number of preppers here is rising fast! I am so glad of the support on here.

Even with everything going on it seems life here is just going on as normal. People are shopping , drinking coffee with friends, going out for a meal and a drink now and again and just making the best of things generally. I think most of us have decided what will be, will be and are just getting on with keeping things as normal as we can.

That hurricane is horrendous and there is far worse to come. I feel so sorry for them all...praying they ALL come out of it alive. 60 million people are in the path of that storm..it doesn't bear thinking about
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure