Stop being a Wimp!... DMP Journey

Options
For the last 2 years I have known that we have a problem but I have continued to try and pay all the bills, mortgage and CC's often using CC's to pay other things and withdrawing cash to keep us going.

My OH is a gardener so his work is very seasonal, plus we were shafted by a family member. This means that his income goes up and down all the time and sometimes down but not up!

Anyway, the time has come when I have to say I have been defeated by the CC's and cannot continue to pay them the amounts that I have been doing.

I posted that I was scared to take the next step down the CCCS and DMP route but have found that the people on this forum are wonderful and have given me the encouragement and strength to go through with this, instead of chickening out and carrying on further into the mire.

SO....

I have done the CCCS debt remedy and feel more positive already.

Tomorrow I am going to ask for a Co-op cashminder account - this bit is hard as I feel loyalty to my current bank???? - got to stop this and I'm sure when I default on the loan that I have with them I will change my mind!:o

Then need to speak to the CCCS and complete all the forms

Then maybe I can stop crying, worrying, stressing out, feeling sick, having headaches, feeling depressed and maybe the ringing in my ears will stop too!

So I'm going to update this diary with my progress and then look back in a couple of months to see if I feel better and whether I am in a better place financially. At the moment both myself & OH are throwing money at our debts but not making any inroads whatsoever and I want my life back!!:(

Comments

• Ellieseleven
    Ellieseleven Posts: 2,118 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Well that's it! I have finally pressed the SUBMIT button on the CCCS website. I have done the debt remedy numerous times but never had the courage to face up to my problems.

This time I don't have a choice, it's either the submit button and go through with a DMP or it's the self destruct button as there is no way out.

Do I feel better for doing this? Not at the moment, the feeling of impending doom is hanging over me and I can't shake it.

Now I'm going to read through the other posts to keep me positive and sane and then I'm going to go to the bank and open a basic account (and try to stop feeling that I am being dis-loyal to my current bank)

Thank you to everyone that has given me the courage to go through with this:T
  • hypno06
    hypno06 Posts: 32,296 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Well done - you have taken a very big step and you are bound to have those mixed emotions to start with.

But as time goes on, and you realise the difference it will be making to your day to day life, the relief will kick in, and the sleep will return, and the sick feelings will disappear.

There are so many people on this site doing DMPs and very little negative comment about them in general. I haven't done one myself so can't offer much in the way of specific comment, but I DO know that when you take control of your debt, as you have just done, the difference in your own strength and ability to deal with things is just amazing.

So, run with the emotions right now, and enjoy the fact that you are now taking control of your situation.

Good luck with it all!
    Successful women can still have their feet on the ground. They just wear better shoes. (Maud Van de Venne)
    Life begins at the end of your comfort zone (Neale Donald Walsch)
  • Ellieseleven
    edited 17 July 2010 at 9:58AM
    Options
    Thanks Hypno, Your comments are very much appreciated:T
  • Ellieseleven
    Options
    Right, scrap the loyalty to the bank bit... we are now going to be charged £50 for going 97p over our overdraft limit!!
  • hypno06
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I think you will find that there is no such thing as loyalty to customers nowadays, so why should you be loyal to them?

I would def ring up and ask about the possibility of removing the charge - that is certainly not a "fair and reasonable" amount.
    Successful women can still have their feet on the ground. They just wear better shoes. (Maud Van de Venne)
  • crapwithcash82
    crapwithcash82 Posts: 1,043 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Right, scrap the loyalty to the bank bit... we are now going to be charged £50 for going 97p over our overdraft limit!!

:eek:

Thats shocking!! I would definately call them up and ask about them waiving the charge - that really is criminal, £50 for 97p!!

Also wanted to say good luck to you on your journey, this site is full of inspirational people and stories when you need a little bit of a push. I sometimes find even just reading other peoples diaries on here etc you pick up hints and little ways to try and save money and make payments towards your debts.

Good Luck with the debt-busting, and good luck with getting the fee waivered from your bank - nothing ventured nothing gained, the worst they can say is no at the end of the day!

:money:
  • Ellieseleven
    Options
    Thanks! I will definately try and get the charges waivered, it's my OH's business account, thats why the charges are so high
  • hypno06
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Even if it is a business account, those charges are horrific!!
  • Ellieseleven
    Options
    Tomorrow a payment of £90 is due to one of our CC's and about now I would be doing everything to try and find the money to pay it but after our decision to go on a DMP I find I am not in the normal panic mode although I am still getting the odd "Oh !!!!!!, what have I done" thought. I have also taken to talking to myself "They can't have what I haven't got" mantra:o

Just trying to keep calm and tell myself that we have done the right thing:D
  • savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,396 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi Ellie

They can't have what you haven't got. Good luck with it all
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 237 payments to go - now £184,341 Equity 26.26%
    2) Spend on handyman & external building works & new patio door £12.3K
    3) CC £4.9K on 0% spends card but offset by £34.1K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    4) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £9.6K/£127.5K AVC target 7.5% value at 15/4
    5) FI Age 60 annual income target £13.7/30K 45.7%
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport