IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Parking Eye - Parking Notice Charge for parking in Aldi, Bangor

Options
I read this link which hasn't been updated since 4th August 2014 but I don't know what to do, http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/protect/2014/08/dont-pay-unfair-private-parking-tickets.

Hubby & I were on our way to get the ferry home last week to Northern Ireland when my blood glucose dropped suddenly and as a result I needed to get something to eat to put it up again. We stopped at the first place we could which was in Aldi in Bangor. When my blood glucose returned to normal levels we continued our journey to the ferry and just made it in time. However we have now received a "Parking Notice Charge" from Parking Eye informing us that we should have entered our details in a terminal inside Aldi but we don't do this in Northern Ireland, we didn't know we had to as we didn't notice it on the sign and we didn't see the terminal either. It states "By remaining at the car park for longer than was permitted in accordance with the terms and conditions set out in the signage, the Parking Charge is now payable to Parking Eye Ltd as the Creditor)".

The fine is £40 if paid within 14 days of the date issued: 12/08/2016 and after this date £70 will have to be paid. We have never had anything like this before and I was wondering how should we proceed, should we pay the £40? Will this affect our credit files?

Comments

• Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    stop reading old rubbish and read the NEWBIES FAQ sticky thread at the top of this forum , third thread down

then appeal it

even if it went to court there is no CCJ and no credit file problem as long as you pay the judgment within a month if you lost

win and you pay nothing

its people who dont pay the judgment promptly that get punished by a CCJ and credit issues

also complain to aldi and insist they cancel it
  • Jo4
    Jo4 Posts: 6,819 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Redx wrote: »
    stop reading old rubbish and read the NEWBIES FAQ sticky thread at the top of this forum , third thread down

then appeal it

even if it went to court there is no CCJ and no credit file problem as long as you pay the judgment within a month if you lost

win and you pay nothing

its people who dont pay the judgment promptly that get punished by a CCJ and credit issues

also complain to aldi and insist they cancel it

Thanks! Going to look for that thread now.
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    Options
    ps:- there is no keeper liability for Northern Ireland so you may find you need to ignore it, but getting the store to cancel it is the best way forward anyway

pps:- it is not a fine , its an invoice , totally different
  • Jo4
    Options
    Redx wrote: »
    ps:- there is no keeper liability for Northern Ireland so you may find you need to ignore it, but getting the store to cancel it is the best way forward anyway

pps:- it is not a fine , its an invoice , totally different

Thank you for all this information. I found the thread you are referring to and I am going to attempt to read it now.
  • Castle
    Castle Posts: 4,199 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Is this Bangor North Wales rather than the Northern Ireland one?
  • Jo4
    Options
    Castle wrote: »
    Is this Bangor North Wales rather than the Northern Ireland one?

It was in Bangor, North Wales "Hubby & I were on our way to get the ferry home last week to Northern Ireland".
  • Jo4
    Options
    Is Parking Eye part of an "Approved Operator Scheme of an Accredited Trade Association such as the BPA (or the new one, the IPC). Only AOS members can get DVLA data" since they got DVLA data?
  • Jo4
    Options
    It is very confusing what is the correct way to proceed with this because although we reside in Northern Ireland we got the "Parking Charge Notice" as a result of parking in Wales.
  • Jo4
    Options
    Is this what we are supposed to do since we reside in Northern Ireland or is this for getting a ticket in Scotland and Northern Ireland?

"If in Scotland/NI:

Apart from (of course!!) complaining to the landowner/retailer you should IGNORE your fake PCN unless you are not the registered keeper and that is a company (hire car or leased/company vehicle).*

You are safe to ignore because there is no worthwhile appeals process - do not believe what the fake PCN says! This Watchdog video still applies in Scotland and NI because a PPC has to know who was driving (unlike in England/Wales now):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAIcdi9niHA

WHEN IGNORING IN SCOTLAND/NI, KEEP ALL LETTERS. DO NOT THROW THEM AWAY EVEN IF YOU HAVE MADE A PAPER AEROPLANE FROM THEM!"
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,354 Forumite
    Options
    If you're in NI, you're out of jurisdiction. Are PE pursuing you under PoFA 2012 saying that the registered keeper is liable? Check the letter you've received. Maybe upload it here, fully redacted, for our opinion. Use free hosting site like Dropbox, Photobucket, or Tinypic and change the URL link to read hxxp instead of http.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport