Personal loan for mortgage deposit

Options
broisatse
broisatse Posts: 13 Forumite
Me and my wife are looking to purchase the house. We're both higher earners (over £80k each) with good and excelent cradit rating and absolutely no outstanding debt (regular credit card usage, always paid back in full).

We've found a mortgage supplier who has agreed to give us the mortgage even if half of the deposit comes from the personal loan as long as it is within our affordability. We also hold Agreement in Principle on assumption of having that Personal loan on APR of 19%.

Now the only problem is, no bank seems to be interested in giving us that loan and we are being rejected solely because of the purpose of the loan. We've applied for Zopa loan as well, but got rejected without any reason given (even though we've been qualified for their best rate).

Is there any bank or P2P out there who would consider such a loan or is it lost case?

Financially, paying off mortgage and the loan would be the same as our current rent. The loan would also leave a bit of a lump sum to cover any house-related surprises.

Comments

• Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,135 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I think you may struggle to find a lender for this purpose.

It may mean saving for a little longer and postponing the mortgage application.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Why not buy a cheaper house so you dont need the loan and you can get the mortgage.
  • bengalknights
    bengalknights Posts: 5,021 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Pay off the loan save up the deposit then do the application

It wont look as risky then
  • broisatse
    Options
    The main reason we are looking for a loan option is that it is just significantly cheaper then waiting. We would get the full amount in about a year, year nad a half during which we'd pay the entire deposit value in rent.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    If you have applied for a number of loans over a short period that will be one of the reasons you are now being turned down, however I agree that most if not all lenders would refuse a loan for such a purpose, you don't say how much the property is/might be, or how much personal loan you will need?
    The best advice with an income of 80k and little/no debt would be to save more for the deposit.
  • dealer_wins
    dealer_wins Posts: 7,334 Forumite
    Options
    broisatse wrote: »
    The main reason we are looking for a loan option is that it is just significantly cheaper then waiting. We would get the full amount in about a year, year nad a half during which we'd pay the entire deposit value in rent.

You would still pay 18 months of mortgage/loan payments so its the same really.
  • broisatse
    Options
    You would still pay 18 months of mortgage/loan payments so its the same really.

Well yes, but I would pay it into my mortgage, not into sombody else's, so in two years I'd only have 28 years of paying mortgage instead of 30 when I wait. Rent is just a pure expense while mortgage payment is decresing liability and staying within household ledger incresing net asset value.
  • AstroTurtle
    Options
    Dont tell them it's for a house deposit?

No lender with give you a loan to get another loan
    Save £12k in 2019 -
  • thriftylass
    thriftylass Posts: 3,981 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 23 March 2018 at 11:09AM
    Options
    broisatse wrote: »
    Me and my wife are looking to purchase the house. We're both higher earners (over £80k each) with good and excelent cradit rating and absolutely no outstanding debt (regular credit card usage, always paid back in full).

We've found a mortgage supplier who has agreed to give us the mortgage even if half of the deposit comes from the personal loan as long as it is within our affordability. We also hold Agreement in Principle on assumption of having that Personal loan on APR of 19%.

Now the only problem is, no bank seems to be interested in giving us that loan and we are being rejected solely because of the purpose of the loan. We've applied for Zopa loan as well, but got rejected without any reason given (even though we've been qualified for their best rate).

Is there any bank or P2P out there who would consider such a loan or is it lost case?

Financially, paying off mortgage and the loan would be the same as our current rent. The loan would also leave a bit of a lump sum to cover any house-related surprises.

How much is the deposit? How much do you pay in rent just now? How much can you save each month and how big a house are you looking for? You earn 160k between you. I guess most lenders struggle to either see why you'd need a loan for a deposit (unlikely they bother about that though) and as others have said they won't give you a loan for a loan.
    DEBT 09/23: CC 6347 5120, Other 1763 NSDs 0/20 Planned debt free date: Dec 2024
  • broisatse
    Options
    Dont tell them it's for a house deposit?

Unfortunatelyy that would qualify as a fraud and once the supplier finds out it can cost us the job (solicitors)

House is £500k, we have ~£30k saved up, paying rent of £2k per month and saving £1k-1.5k per month, so we're facing 1.5 to 2 years of paying rent.

What I'm finding wierd is that Santander and HSBC both are fine with a deposit being partially covered with a loan (within affordability) but it seems really hard to find such a loan. I know Zopa is giving those, but we got rejected without any reason given (and it was our first application), I really hope we'll manage to find someone else.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure