Countdown to Freedom

Options

Comments

• katsu
    katsu Posts: 4,947 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Our houseguest had some friends round (I was *delighted* to find them arriving on the doorstep to enjoy their "snow day" at our house ;) You do not want to know what they were googling on their phones :eek: Apparently there are rude snow terms for adult antics.
    Debt at highest: £8k. Debt Free 31/12/2009. Original MFD May 2036, MF Dec 2018.
  • Tilly_MFW_in_6_YRS
    Options
    Hi Katsu, I would have been really grumpy having a lodgers mates turning up. Hope it's not driving you mad.

Rude snow terms are news to me, I'd better get g@@gling tomorrow :o
    2004 £387k 29 years - MF March 2033:eek:
    2011 £309k 10 years - MF March 2021.
    Achieved Goal: 28/08/15 :j
  • katsu
    Options
    For us having a houseguest is a bit trying sometimes; I try to keep telling myself it must be trying for them too, not just us.

I find it difficult having people sprung on me when I was about to have a shower or wanted a quiet lie down.

Mainly I think the difference is MSE ways vs non-MSE ways. I thought our houseguest would be living a very frugal life which I could relate to, but instead there is lots of going out and popping to the corner shop for carp. I find that a bit disappointing as Mr Katsu and I set the houseguest's contributions to the household on the basis they were desperate to save and so I thought I'd have a frugal friend. I think the houseguest's lightbulb is definitely flickering as they say on DFW. Came on but has gone off or dim. As long as they are happy, and move out on time, I guess that will have to do for me!
  • lulabelle1
    lulabelle1 Posts: 2,693 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't think I could ever have a lodger, I don't like sharing. I love it when family come to stay but as much as I love it I really like getting the house back to ourselves when they are gone. I really admire those of you who can do it.
  • Secret_Saving_Squirrel
    Options
    Me too. My home is my castle and I don't want strangers seeing me in my onesy!
    Paid off mortgage nine years early in 2013. Now picking and choosing our work to fit in with the rest of our lives!
    Still thrifty though, after all these years:D
  • Tilly_MFW_in_6_YRS
    Options
    Morning Lula & SSS, I promise I'm not running about in my onesey :):)

We only ever have Monday to Friday lodgers and have found that works well. Fortunately they have all been career people, who work, eat, go to the gym or run, then disappear to their rooms. Our most recent lodger, who we are all missing already was fab.

I do wonder what I'll do when the kids leave home, as I love making dinner and everyone sitting and catching up on their day. Even the quick days when the kids need to be out early, we still have dinner together. It's going to be very quiet and we will definitely be selling the family home as we will be like two peas in a pod :(.

However that's another chapter and if everything works out, will be the start of our life abroad, where we have another life already in place. It is tricky as now we miss our friends over there, but at least when we move, we will no doubt have loads of friends from the UK coming over - so we still get the chance to cook and entertain. I've asked Mr T if we can have a bread oven by the BBQ - who knows but if you don't ask, you don't get :)

Sorry I have gone slightly off piste with the conversation but I guess it shows my mind is thinking about our futures.

Best wishes Tilly x x
  • katsu
    Options
    I can see the advantage of that Tilly - they are lodgers rather than living in your home. The space for both sides of weekends apart would be helpful I think.

I think it is hard for us because we went into this for heart not head reasons. Morally we felt people had helped us in life so if this person was wanting to save, and struggling financially, we felt we couldn't not offer our home. We thought they'd be saving every penny and sharing things with us like making dinner together etc rather than being like parents having a teenager coming and going on their schedule and saying things like "will you be back for tea?" and "would you mind turning the music down?" :rotfl:

If we had gone into it for the money I think we'd feel differently as we'd have had a motivation which was practical. Also the money has effectively been off-set by costs like the storage boxes, loft access and extractor, which were done as part of accommodating the extra person here, so it doesn't really feel any different.

I don't regret doing what felt right as we did really benefit from the support of friends and family in getting our lives to where they are. Our houseguest is a nice person, we just sometimes want different things out of our shared living space. They are trying to be considerate, as are we - just sometimes it is very trying ;)
  • catshark88
    catshark88 Posts: 1,099 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    We had lodgers when I was a kid and we had a great time. Really jolleyed things up at a difficult time. Don't think DH would agree to do that though. Anyway, I'd have to put the CH thermostat to more than 15 degrees!!!!!!!

Lol!
    "Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." William Morris
  • Tilly_MFW_in_6_YRS
    Options
    Katsu, lending a helping hand to people who need it, is great and as you set an end date for your houseguest to leave, I'm sure everything will be fine :)

I think that's the big difference between a friend and a lodger - I am completely useless at having direct conversations with friends, but no problem with a lodger, until the last two weeks of no food money, when I was beginning to wonder why. I wasn't handing back e deposit until I had the cash in my hand though :rotfl:

Tilly x
  • Tilly_MFW_in_6_YRS
    Options
    catshark88 wrote: »
    We had lodgers when I was a kid and we had a great time. Really jolleyed things up at a difficult time. Don't think DH would agree to do that though. Anyway, I'd have to put the CH thermostat to more than 15 degrees!!!!!!!

Lol!

It's made me laugh as I am always too hot and turning the radiators down and the kids and Mr T almost trail behind me turning them back up again :rotfl:

Tilly x
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills