PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

February 2009 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I haven't been out but bil came to my rescue again and brought me some cheese and a couple of other bits so another £5 spend. We have more snow forecast overnight and tomorrow but I'm happy that I can last a week now if need be :)

Not being able to get to the shop (pavements are thick ice) means I haven't spent as much as usual but I'm fed up with the snow now, I want to get back to normal!
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • miss_keep_counting
    Options
    A question!

I have some organic oatmeal type stuff, oats, raisens etc which had it's use by date a few months back. I was thinking of making cookies. If I do, any ideas for recipies?

Is it likely to be off now and should I just chuck? :confused:

And if I make cookies how long will they keep for?? I don't eat much sweet stuff but it's a HUGE bag, like easily over 500g and I don't want to waste. So if I can stick them in a tin and have them last nicely for a few months I'll be chuffed!

Thank you!!
    :A
    Saving for my future...
  • elizabunny
    elizabunny Posts: 1,030 Forumite
    Options
    Hello everyone. Only spent 13p today on some salt DH fetched from Lidl for me -I think that's a good price. I'm afraid I tipped all the salt I originally had onto the drive, so that DH could get his car in and out -this snow has been making life quite difficult and I think we are due more tonight.

Had a quickie tea, as alot been going on at home today. So it was just a cheese omlette, tomatoes and jacket potato. I did manage to make a rushed weetabix cake and DH enjoyed a slice of that with his cuppa.

Hope everyone is warm and well. Off to update sig. now
    Sealed Pot Challenge 7 Member 022 :staradmin:staradmin:staradmin
    5:2 Diet started 28/1/2013 only 13lbs lost due to Xmas 2013 blip.
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    good evening...hope all is well...i cant believe there is more snow forcast....im fed up with snow now....had a few bargains today...home bargains 69p kg sugar,heinz onion and tomato mayo 29p reeces peanut butter cups 15p (10 purchased 12am 7 remaining7.30)then in tesco reduced mushrooms biggish box 59p bag of frozen lamb chops £2.50 enough for 2 meals ...i thought i might do them in the slow cooker...they had 15 caged hen eggs for £1 but im still trying with the free rangs......not for consumption but boots had reduced all wrapping paper to 25p a roll and crackers cheap...i got a box for dh birthday that were £12 for £1...oh in sainsburys i got 1.5kg seville oranges reduced to £1.50 so have made 6lb of marmalade to go with the 4lb i made before...it looks a really nice colour...amber...we had a nice tea...chicken in blackbean sauce....using the chicken that was £1 in asda a couple of weeks ago...it was nice chicken and the blackbean sauce was nice and cheap....29p in home bargains......tata tess
    onwards and upwards
  • TrixieB
    TrixieB Posts: 704 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have updated my signature, just spent £9.07 in Asda on bread, vitalite, haggis, instant mash, stuffing, veg bag for microwave and got 3 bags of Rye Flour reduced to 84p each.
    Trying very hard to be frugal and OS - just plodding on and doing my best!
    :money: :money:
    :money:
  • princess_leia_3
    Options
    A question!

I have some organic oatmeal type stuff, oats, raisens etc which had it's use by date a few months back. I was thinking of making cookies. If I do, any ideas for recipies?

Is it likely to be off now and should I just chuck? :confused:

And if I make cookies how long will they keep for?? I don't eat much sweet stuff but it's a HUGE bag, like easily over 500g and I don't want to waste. So if I can stick them in a tin and have them last nicely for a few months I'll be chuffed!

Thank you!!

That will be fine to use - I take no notice unless its a use by date but dried goods like that should be fine! I have heard that people freeze their twinks but not sure if that is in dough form or cooked biscuits :confused:

Had another NSD today but will need milk and a few F & V tomorrow so will try and be good and only buy what I need not what is on offer :rolleyes:
    Sealed pot Member target £200 - No. 151
    GC Yearly £3k so far £1097 May£220/£300
    £1k in 100 days so far - £235 :p
    Snowball debt free calculator says DEC 09 - lets hope we can do it!

• Julimk
    Julimk Posts: 349 Forumite
    Options
    Just milk here today!

Some things are now starting to run out; I have no eggs left, no block butter, only 1 potato etc. But thinking about what I do have in, I am unlikely to actually need these before the beginning of next month, which is only the end of next week.

I made some of Twink’s hobnobs at the weekend; made half the quantity & got 32 biscuits & quite a few have made it to the freezer, though a few broke & had to be eaten for quality control, of course! And I have made quiche too for lunches. Have some HM potted cheese & smoked mackerel pate & plenty of lentils or beans that could make into pate.

Also still have over 30 HM dinner portions in the freezer. And DD will be off to her Dad’s at the weekend. So although there is not a lot of the budget left I should be OK.

I do need to start next month’s meal plan, so that when I go shopping I am only buying what I will need for this, rather than randomly what I think I will need, which is where I have fallen down in the past.
  • dazzle21
    dazzle21 Posts: 1,962 Forumite
    Options
    Evening Everyone! Today i spent £11.36 at the organic butchers, i was rather horrified at first as i thought it was really expensive, but then i realised i had got 0.5kg of lamb steak and almost 2lb of posh sausages, so maybe not that pricey?? Other bits in supermarket including baby things came to £23.20. So total spend today is £34.56... eek!
    August: £149/£150

Sept: £200
  • TheBees
    TheBees Posts: 601 Forumite
    Options
    I've worked out that the 5 litre bottle of Bold 2 in 1 liquid should last for 22 WEEKS if we use 50mls per wash instead of the recommended 75ml and do an average of 4 washes per week! I saw the same washing liquid in co-op today costing over £3 for 750ml :eek: so my 5litres for £9 is very good value.:j

I spent just over £8 on fruit at the F&V shop as we had absolutely none in the house. DD12 had discovered this week that she likes kiwi fruit - hooray!

Had a huge row with DS15 this evening as he hadn't eaten his cheese and ham sandwiches from his packed lunch.:mad: He really is being awkward lately with food - his sister used to be the fussy one but just lately she's eating better than he is. I can't understand how he can eat a tiny breakfast and not feel hungry enough to eat his sandwiches later. I've tried explaining how he's wasting our money but he doesn't get it. Tonight we made him make his own sandwich so we'll see if he eats them tomorrow. RANT OVER!

Forgot to add - I always freeze my Twinks after they've been cooked.

Just re-read my post - How sad am I working out how long my washing liquid will last!!?
    Mortgage Free in 3 part 2 challenge - pay off £9000
    Sealed Pot Challenge 416 - target £500
  • angelatgraceland
    Options
    Not sad at all! Thats the way to do it! I call them smart calculations. I only ever use half of what they tell me on the bottle-and its always fine. Sometimes I use ecoballs or soapnuts instead. Well Ive had a nsd day today-I did go out but only to take DS to the jobcentre and to collect someones broken computer for him to fix as a favour for a guy who is terminally ill and was told his comp wasnt worth fixing. Well its fixed now! Came home before it started snowing again.
    Just defrosted what I hoped was soup to find its actually chicken stock so now I need to use it in something tomorrow. I think it will go into a sausage casserole somehow so I will soak some dried stuff tonight-that will be tomorrow sorted. I really must make the effort to label the tubs before I put them in the freezer. They are UFOs at the moment. Regarding bread,I am finding that making bread dough in the breadmaker and leaving it overnight then cooking it in the oven is giving me the best results ever. The last loaf was huge for some reason-yet it was a Hovis packet which Ive made previously a normal size. Maybe it was leaving it overnight. I made twinks last week but I eat too many so Im frightened to make any more-along with too many slices of nofat teabread.
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure