PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Hoarding - Springing Ahead

Options

Comments

• sweetpea26
    sweetpea26 Posts: 831 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Morning all

Well I have just lost a lengthy post !!!

In short thank you to all who post here ... this thread is amazing.

Reading others posts and their thoughts/plans etc is so very helpful.

This morning I am sitting in a clean tidy dining room and I feel so relaxed. This is how I want to feel about the rest of my house. :):)

Yesterday I tackled my airing cupboard ... I had cleared out lots of items a few months back but it was just all messy with things everywhere.
    So took all out and put back in folded into different piles. So now the mountain of towels linens in the utility room can be removed and put where they belong. PROGRESS :)

Today I will just make sure to throw out what comes my way whilst cooking or preparing for the start of the week.

Keep going everyone, one item at a time.
    God bless
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) We have a glorious spring day, too, the kind of day which makes you glad to be alive and I shall be out in it as soon as I've finished my cuppa. Have made a flask and packed a lunch and will be out until early-mid afternoon.

:o Fellow travellers on the Clutterbusting Express, I have a small confession to make to you.

Yesterday, whilst on a perfectly legitimate errand to the greengrocer, I was tempted and fell through the doors of my two favourite chazzers, which are mere meters away. I felt bad about doing it, but the allure was too much.

And, you know what? Once I had weakened and entered the charity shops, and browsed, I realised that I had no need of more Stuff. I have books to read and the library has more when I've caught up at home. I have clothes and plenty, and no room for more. My kitchen is well-equipped and wants for nothing. Or nothing which I have room to store, anyway.:rotfl:

So I walked out empty-handed. And was unintersted in browsing the other eight charity shops nearby. Whatever's the matter with me? :p

Today, on my way out of the block, a rubbish bag hits the communal bins. A rubbish bag which contains the little yellow teapot with the broken lid. A small triumph in a cluttered world.

((((sweetpea))) that was a lovely vote of confidence and I hope you continue to enjoy our collective journey towards an uncluttered existance.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • sweetpea26
    sweetpea26 Posts: 831 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Wow Greyqueen

Well done you :):)

There is only so much stuff we need....its more about wanting!!! I have added a couple of quotes to my signature to keep me motivated :) Hope they work.
  • whitewing
    whitewing Posts: 11,852 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sent DS to the recycling centre. He is not back yet and it closed at 1pm so he may have flattened himself and snuck in at the top of the cardboard box to avoid the afternoon chores.

Yesterday found that DH has been driving around with the decluttered in the car rather than dropping it off. So I made him take it to the clothes bin.

Have washing on the line. That feels so good, I will say it again: I have washing on the line. And some more to go out in a few minutes.

Have nearly finished the paperwork and that can go out, and the fold up table can go in the cupboard. Have half a bin of confidential waste for burning.

We have a beautiful pink cyclamen on the new table and chair set. It is such a cheerful little plant.
    :heartsmil When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
  • ginnyknit
    ginnyknit Posts: 3,718 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Lots of progress for you all, physical and mental de-cluttering by the sound of it. I have plans afoot this week to catch up lots of things for Fleabay and a few more parcels to post out. Started a new Cs bag and will close my eyes when I take it in, although I have run out of books but will limit to one in one out. I get my main housekeeping money this week and a little lottery win will top it up nicely so am going to empty the freezer and tidy it up thus meaning the food I buy will be nice and neatly packed. The only thing I really need is some plastic freezer boxes for making ready meals.

Im sure the sunshine will spur us all on. Ames, well done hunny. Yes most CS's take rags, just bag them off and tell them when you hand them over save them sorting them. As long as they havent got damp its fine if you dont wash them, they will process them at the factory part of which is a washing process. xxx
    Clearing the junk to travel light
    Saving every single penny.
    I will get my caravan
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    Cool, thanks everyone, I'll start off a 'rag bag' as well as the normal CS bag.

Well, I finished my book last night and put it straight in the purple CS bag (I'd made sure I was sitting next to it when I came towards the end of the book).

Today's been really productive.

I put away a load of washing, but ran out of coat hangers halfway through.

First thought: I need to go buy more (bad).
    Second thought: I can double up some of the hangers, ie a shirt and a skirt on one. (better).
    Third thought: While I'm at it I can purple bag some stuff (good).

Then the clothes rail collapsed. Not long ago I'd have flung my hands up in despair and huddled away ignoring it. I just fixed it and put everything back on it.

It's an absolutely gorgeous day, so I'm concentrating on washing. I've got a couple of blankets out drying, a load of washing on an airer outside, and another load in the machine. I'm going to put the washing line back up and get stuff pegged out - I had to take it down the other week so that scaffolding could go up in my garden for them to repair upstairs' windows, which had been smashed by bullets. Have I mentioned I really don't like where I live?

So, this afternoon is to be spent reading for my book club tomorrow, and putting washing out.

After yesterday's push I can see vast swathes (well, compared to normal anyway) of carpet, which is inspiration to push on and do more.

GQ, well done on the charity shop resistance! It's a pretty big milestone I think, being able to go into one and not buy. I suppose it's similar to an alcoholic being able to walk past the booze aisle in the supermarket.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 41,000 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Right.. I am feeling better (many weeks of mouth infection, Christmas, birthdays, gloomy weather, then I broke my toe!... and today, the sun is out and so must the mess be...

Kitchen first..

I have a binbag of rags and a binbag of charity stuff.. all the washing is to be disappeared and I will find worksurfaces if it kills me.
    Boys clothes and DD5's all sorted.. lots for ebay/cs there :)
    Knitted up some of my wool stash too while unable to walk much!

DD1 is coming to help sort toys.. this should be an interesting task.. :eek:
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • whitewing
    whitewing Posts: 11,852 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ames,

You may not realise it, but you have just passed a major dehoarding milestone by continuing with the job after your clothes rail collapsed.

Very well done indeed.

Although my house is no longer a hoarding house, and I think we don't buy much stuff, it is incredibly hard work to keep the incoming stuff to a minimum. So much seems to come because family get it for the children. We accept that it is easier and less hurtful to let some stuff pass through rather than refuse it. They all keep giving DD bags of all shapes and sizes. We are going to have a word with family about that as we are at the stage of giving away bags we love just because even more have arrived.

On that hoarding programme, the lady was drawn to cuddly toys. I have been there! So, aunty gave DD a lovely teddy recently. (She will keep it; it's not too big). But I could see that it was aunty trying to satisfy her inner child.
    :heartsmil When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
  • roundtuit
    roundtuit Posts: 4,021 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I've washed the bath mat that DS used in Halls and I'm going to put it down in the bathroom. The current bathmat can then go in the bin....I want a splash of colour in there, I'm tired of beige.
    The sofa has almost been cleared of gubbins - but I've still got the piles in front of it to shift.
    Little by little we're moving onward.
    Enjoy the sunshine folks
    Rxx
    IT ONLY TAKES SMALL DAILY ACTIONS
    FOR MAGIC TO HAPPEN
    Rosemary Ikpeme
    :D
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) I have decluttered a bit of severly-overgrown allotment beside The Rough (as was) about 3 m x 1 m and removed quite a few bits of small rubbish like glass, nails and plastic. Enough to cover the bottom of the bucket.

I spread the grass and roots out to dry off somewhat, so that the earth falls out of the roots even better than just from a vigourous shaking. That's my topspoil don'tchaknow? And took an IKEA blue bagful to the tip on the back of the bike on the way home.

Allotment is looking good, especially the bit formerly-known-as-The-Rough. I get such a ridiculous amount of pleasure from seeing that in good order, just wish I had dealt with it years ago instead of last autumn.

Orderliness is fanning out across the allotment and even the bits which need work are tidier than they were and steadily shrinking in size. It's become manageable.

Does anyone else get this feeling with their decluttering? That there's a point where it's too horrendous to even start, your spirit is crushed by the mere prospect. Then you make a start and for ages it seems like you're dragging stuff out and there's still more stuff and it surely comes in when your back is turned because there's seemingly no end to it, and then Tah Rah! you start to see the beginning of the end and it's so exhilarating.

I'm running a washload now but will have to dry it indoors, and will shove a vacuum around quickly before the clothes airer goes up or it will be vitually impossible after. I have stuff on the floor which won't be here much longer, such as the 6 strawberry plants to go to a colleague tomorrow, the bag of books to go out on Tues and the chazzer bag which may go out on Monday late afternoon, depending on a meeting which may over-run.

Ames, well done for soldiering on with the clothes rail. And I smiled at the debate you were having about the clothes hangers. My own clothes rail is a bit less than 3 feet long and crosses an alcove. It's pretty full and I was telling myself I needed more hangers, then told myself no, I need fewer clothes.

I;m not turfing clothes out as I have several well-loved and frequently worn garments which are on their last few months of life, and those which live on hangers will secede their hanger to another garment through natural attrition, so no need to get more of them.

Have you read Don Aslett's books when he goes on about 'junk bunkers' ? By which he means all those containers, racks and misc which enable you to ram more and more stuff into your quarters without addressing the fundamental issue which is that there's too much in the first place and you need to thin the herd not build more corrals for it.

Hokay, time to crack on with that vacuuming and then make the tea.I have already had my post-allotment bath and will have enough bubble bath for one more go then that's the 2012 Xmas pressie bubble bath all gone. And I won't replace it either, and there will be one fewer bottle in the bathroom, which will please me.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills